Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22465 06/28/07 01:32 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Looks like Echinacea a hebal panacea used by millions is under the microscope.
Here are two differing opinions, take your pick

Fans of echinacea have long sworn that it can ward off the common cold, a claim that has been dismissed this as a matter of faith. Now scientists say that the herbal remedy really works, giving believers the pleasure of watching the cynics swallow their words. An analysis of the evidence has found that taking the remedy more than halves a person’s chances of catching a cold and shortens the length of a cold by an average of 1.4days.

The American team reviewed 14 studies and published their results in Lancet Infectious Diseases. But some earlier studies failed to find convincing evidence that Echinacea worked, so the findings are likely to be controversial.

Ron Cutler, of the School of Biosciences at the University of East London, said: Echinacea has traditionally been used for both prevention and treatment of colds but recent studies suggest that it may be more effective as a treatment.
It may reduce the duration of illness and decrease the severity of cough, headache, and nasal congestion.
People with impaired immune function may benefit from taking echinacea during the winter months to prevent colds and flu, but healthy people do not require long-term preventative use.

Ronald Eccles, director of the Common Cold Centre at the University of Cardiff, said that it was a significant step in the battle against the common cold. He added: Harnessing the power of our own immune system to fight common infections with herbal medicines is now given more validity with this interesting scientific evaluation of past clinical trials

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article1980481.ece

--BUT HERE WE READ

The herbal remedy Echinacea, taken by millions to cure colds, does not work, US research has shown.

It found that cold sufferers taking echinacea were actually ill for longer than those who took dummy pills. Many believe Echinacea, which can be made into capsules, extracts, tinctures and tea, boosts the immune system.
The remedy is widely used to treat and prevent colds, but previous studies looking at its effectiveness have been inconclusive.
Echinacea facts- Also known as the coneflower, it grows on the US prairies There are nine species, but only three are used in herbal medicine.
Native Americans have used it for centuries to treat a range of
conditions.In the US study, 150 students who had recently developed colds were given Echinacea or dummy pills - but were not told which group they were in.
A mixture of Echinacea purpurea herb and root and Echinacea angustifolia root was used in the trial.
Participants evaluated symptoms including cough, runny nose and sore throats daily.
No difference in severity of symptoms was found between those who took Echinacea and those who did not.

On average, the colds of echinacea-takers lasted slightly longer - 6.27 days compared to 5.75 days amongst those on the dummy pills.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2586207.stm

***I was going to say. If its good enough for the American Indians its good enough for me?
Anyway ar'nt herbal tea's, full of natural goodness?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Superstar
Superstar
All I know is that since I've been taking Echinacea on a semi-regular basis, I've had fewer colds and those I have had have been milder. I use Echinacea angustifolia roots, dried and powdered, brewed with green tea. It tastes good and something has helped. My immune system is shot, anyway. Any little boost I can get makes it possible to live a little bit longer, a little bit healthier.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
All I know is that since I've been taking Echinacea on a semi-regular basis, I've had fewer colds and those I have had have been milder.

Amaranth you are quite right drink it. After all said and done it is a 100% home grown natural USA variety, stuffed full of goodness, like any other norml grown plant, or vegetable would be.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Didn't the research suggest that combining the echinacae with Vitamin C gave the best results as they complemented each other? Seems as though it could make sense. Lots of manufactured pharmacuetical drugs come from plants after all.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Of course herbs have an effect, some for the better. After all marijuana would hardly be illegal in most parts of the world if it had no effect.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is there really a herbal plant that can cure dysmenorrhea?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.