Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Are the UFO's back?
After a lack of sightings for the past few years, we now get two different confirmed sightings by two different airlines and their passengers last Monday 18th.June '07.
I'm nomally reluctant to comment upon UFO sightings except this was seen from two different directions, -very large, bright, and stationary, about 2000ft high.
I often wonder whether some bright individual was able to release
a cloud of fluorescent powder, somehow? Prehaps not, but I have never yet seen a clear unambiguous photograph yet.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/27/mystery_object/

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/code/showarchive.pl?ArticleID=002080&year=2007&category=news

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

T
Tim Offline
T
Okay, you mean to tell me you beleive in UFO's?
That is pseudoscientific nonsense, everyone knows that except for those darn conspiritors.
come on, this is a science forum, not some nonsense junk.

W
W
Wow, Tim, that's some viscious vitriol you got goin' there, I thought you So-Cal guys were laid back. I read the post, thought he was refering to an odd phenomenon of weather. Chill out, Dude.

T
Tim Offline
T
"I thought you So-Cal guys were laid back," haha, not really.
Im sorry, I didnt mean to come off that harsh, its just UFOs are so obviously false. Wouldnt everyone here agree?

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
No- I think that there are UFOs. I just don't think that they have litle green men in them waiting to take me to Alpha Centuri. Mike was giving a suggestion as to what this particular UFO may be.

After all UFO means 'unidentified flying object' NOT 'some thing from a galaxy far, far away about to eat me for lunch'!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I agree with the others. There are plenty of UFOs. I have seen one (which later became and IFO). However, there are plenty of fake UFOs and there are plenty of kookie explanations for real UFOs and there are plenty of fraudulent claims related to UFOs (alien abductions, crop circles, certain kinds of channeling, etc).

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Tim: "its just UFOs are so obviously false. Wouldnt everyone here agree?"

For many people, "UFO" has become synonymous with "alien spacecraft", whereas to the scientist it means an 'observed aerial phenomenon for which there is no definitive explanation'. Many so called UFOs have been eliminated from the definition following investigations that have either proven them hoaxes, or have provided explanations with a high probability of being correct. There are others, such as those of June 18, for which the term "UFO" is still applicable. There's nothing pseudoscientific or unscientific about it. It's similar to the case of dark matter - an observation has been made but there is, as yet, insufficient data to determine its nature.

According to current knowledge of the cosmos and of the laws of physics, the probability of a flyby by aliens may be extremely remote. Even so, it would be unscientific to say that it's impossible - that would be to assume that our current knowledge is sufficiently complete to arrive at such a conclusion. Clearly, there's a great deal that we don't know.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
S
S
I am more inclined to believe that some sightings are unknown advanced military aircraft rather than visitors from another solar system.

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.