Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
"HONG KONG (Reuters) - Cockroaches have a memory and can be taught to salivate in response to neutral stimuli in the way that Pavlov's dogs would do when the famed Russian doctor rang his bell, Japanese researchers found.

Such "conditioning" can only take place when there is memory and learning, and this salivating response had only previously been proven in humans and dogs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070613/sc_nm/cockroaches_learning_memory_dc

Next question: How do you tell when a cockroach is salivating? smile

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Amaranth asked:

"How do you tell when a cockroach is salivating?"

They get their handkerchiefs out of their pockets.

I tried to train a cockroach once, but the endeavor ended tragically.

Note of caution: What you and I might consider a 'love tap' can be viewed by the cockroach community as a fatal blow. Live and learn.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
..."heavy petting" takes on a new meaning.
Incidentally, What does one train a cockroach to do? Roll over and play dead? grin

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
My father did his doctoral dissertation on cockroaches, and from what I understand of it, they trained cockroaches to come to a light. Their natural inclination is to avoid light. But I still wonder how you could tell a cockroach is salivating. Wipe its face on a tiny napkin, perhaps?

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Originally Posted By: redewenur
..."heavy petting" takes on a new meaning.
Incidentally, What does one train a cockroach to do? Roll over and play dead? grin

I trained her to disgust people. Things were going along so well.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I know what you mean, soilguy. I once trained a cat to speak. As you might imagine, it wasn't easy, but after much patience and persistence, I had it saying "meow" perfectly.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Soilguy wrote:

"I trained her to disgust people. Things were going along so well".

Hey. Don't be too discouraged Soilguy. Your training must have worked fairly well. The cockroaches here have picked up on the small amount of training you gave your pet. Example of epigenetics?

Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand
Soilguy wrote:

"I trained her to disgust people. Things were going along so well".

Hey. Don't be too discouraged Soilguy. Your training must have worked fairly well. The cockroaches here have picked up on the small amount of training you gave your pet. Example of epigenetics?

Perhaps. Or is this parallel or convergent evolution?

--S. Lewis
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
My father did his doctoral dissertation on cockroaches, and from what I understand of it, they trained cockroaches to come to a light. Their natural inclination is to avoid light. But I still wonder how you could tell a cockroach is salivating. Wipe its face on a tiny napkin, perhaps?

Yikes. What's more disgusting than a cockroach? A drooling cockroach, perhaps?

--S. Lewis
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I know nothing about cockroaches. In fact, wouldn't know one end from the other, which could be a distinct disadvantage in this case. However...some snippets from http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jan/cockroach-consciousness-neuron-similarity :

'From this tedious analysis Strausfeld concludes that insects possess "the most sophisticated brains on this planet."'

'Neurosciences Institute (NSI) in San Diego, finds hints of higher cognitive functions in insects—clues to what one scientific journal called "the remote roots of consciousness."'

'"We have literally no idea at what level of brain complexity consciousness stops," says Christof Koch, another Caltech neuroscientist. "Most people say, 'For heaven's sake, a bug isn't conscious.' But how do we know?'

"Reichert's own studies of the brain's origin lead to a little-known ancestor, a humble creature called Urbilateria, which wriggled and swam nearly a billion years ago. The granddaddy of all bilaterally symmetrical animals, Urbilateria is the forebear of spiders, snails, insects, amphibians, fish, worms, birds, reptiles, mammals, crabs, clams—and yes, humans."

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Soilguy wrote:

"Or is this parallel or convergent evolution?"

Well that would make it really interesting. Inheritance of acquired characteristics?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.