Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

I am curious to see if anyone, in these forums, has taken their Myers-Briggs Personality Indicator Test and would like to share their results. Mine came as an INTP. This is not scientific and I know what DA is going to say wink. Just thought it would be interesting to see if a certain pattern of results occurs for the scientifically-minded.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan
intp here as well........

http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

Megastar
Megastar
~INTP.

uh oh....

~ smile

p.s.
...but I'm borderline ISTP.

Last edited by samwik; 05/01/07 07:19 AM.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
W
W
I don't know how "Scientific" this thing is...the results of my tests indicated that I should buy a Chainsaw and a Hockey Mask. I already have that stuff!!

Megastar
Megastar
I came out ESTP: Sensing dominant, supported by thinking auxillary. I am not sure whether this means that I can trust myself, or not.

What I know is: I do like meeting people I can trust to be loving and fair. And this is what I strive to be.

It seems to me that awhile ago I read somewhere that there is now avaible a kind of brain-scan which will reveal whether or not a person can be trusted to tell the truth.

As the poet Alexander Pope wrote: An honest man is the noblest work of God.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I don't know if it's scientific. It may have value. I'm not inclined to read it at the moment. I am an introvert. I used to be painfully shy and I stuttered when I was very young, mostly because I was living up north and was trying to get rid of a southern accent. However, I have forced myself over the years into speaking. At first it was absolutely horrible, but then I got into it. The thing is I still suck as a speaker, but I'm pretty good as a teacher.

I am a reflective person, but I have also tried over the years to stop over-analyzing things, especially as regards personal relationships.

There is another idea from psychology that was in common use decades ago - the idea of people who were alphas, betas, and gammas. I have always been a consummate gamma. I'm not a leader or a follower. I mostly just go off and do my own thing. I don't know how scientific that is either, but it's fairly useful for helping to understand the people around me.

I recall in my youth I felt an overwhelming sense of alienation and I thought the people around me held me in extreme contempt for unfathomable reasons. Probably at one time this was true, but certainly by middle school things had begun to change and by my senior year of HS I was quite aware that many of my fellow students held me in high regard and treated me as they did not because they considered me beneath them, but because they didn't want to interfere with my thinking (during which time I can often be found arguing with myself).

I now have two daughters, the oldest of whom is also a strong gamma, and I have been able to help her over the years by explaining to her that her stubbornness and her insistence that people deal with her on her own terms might isolate her, but would earn her respect in the long run - a prediction which has borne out (call me Nostradamus).

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
INFP.

Blacknad.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
This is the description of an INFP. I think that most people would see themselves loosely in here. Am I right?

"Usually gentle and kind, they are intense and passionate about their values and deeply held beliefs, which they share with trusted friends. Because of their discreet manner, their enthusiasm may not be apparent. They are sensitive to others' pain, restlessness or general discomfort and strive to find happiness, balance and wholeness for themselves in order to help others find joy, satisfaction and plenitude. They are deeply empathetic.

They live life in an intently personal fashion, acting on the belief that each person is unique and that social norms are to be respected only if they do not hinder personal development or expression. They strive to adhere to their own high personal moral standards and are particularly sensitive to inconsistencies in their environment between what is being said and what is being done. Empty promises of adhering to something they value – such as environmental causes or human rights - set off an inner alarm and they may transform themselves into modern day Joan of Arcs.

They are quietly persistent in raising awareness of cherished causes and often fight for the underdog in quiet or not-so-quiet ways. In a team, they will raise issues of integrity, authenticity, and good or bad, and may to opt out if the team refuses to address the questions raised.

They are usually tolerant and open-minded, insightful, flexible and understanding. They live for the understanding of others and feel deeply grateful when someone takes the time to get to know them personally. They have good listening skills, are genuinely concerned, insightful, and usually avid readers. At their best, they inspire others to be themselves."

Blacknad.

Megastar
Megastar
TFF, You write: "The thing is, I still suck as a speaker, but I'm pretty good as a teacher." HMNNN! Are not teachers speakers?

IMHO: It matters not what our type is. What matters is: What are we, morally and ethically--what ARE our intentions, as people?

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
From Blacknad's post: "They live life in an intently personal fashion, acting on the belief that each person is unique and that social norms are to be respected only if they do not hinder personal development or expression."

- And so they should. The norm is muddy brown mixture of all the real colours made up of all the real people. There's no weakness or deficiency in being different from the norm, because the 'norm' is merely a statistical artefact. The 'people analysts', however, must have some sort of baseline, and the 'artefact' is it. The result is set of personality 'types', the description of which has no absolute value, but is undeniably useful in determining such issues as career compatibility.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
M
OP Offline
M
TFF, I understand that our personalities change over time whereas a reclusive person in youth might find (surprisingly) joy in sharing more with others. Do you find it ironic that you are a teacher because of your shyness, or are you a teacher because you have something more valuable to offer smile
Sincerely,

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan
Megastar
Megastar
TFF, you write: "I recall in my youth I felt an overwhelming sense of alienation and I thought the people around me held me in extreme contempt for unfathomable reasons."

I wonder: Why did you mentioned this?

For whatever reason you did, thanks for your frankness with us.

I took this test back in 1990, when my (now ex) wife took a job as a manager of a grad student housing complex. They wanted both employees and spouses to take the test.

Mine came out "INTP" as well, Canuck. While I took the test, I thought it was utter nonsense. When we got the results back, they hit frighteningly close to home! INTP described me to a T.

I'm going to take this one, and see if I'm still the same INTP that my friends have come to know and love.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
The test I took 17 years ago was a long, drawn out ordeal with well over 100 questions (maybe over 200). I guess you have to spend some money to really take it again, rather than just choose the options. It is a truly bizarre test. I think it does have value, FWIW.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
Megastar
Megastar
Of course! Was not the first Roman "Christian" emperor a fascist? As were most of the emperors who followed him.
=

Megastar
Megastar
Haven't seen ESTJ for a while, what's the deal?

Just trying to get back on topic....

~ wink

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Megastar
Megastar
WHO is ESTJ?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.