Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21156 05/02/07 03:13 AM
M
OP Offline
M
"There is a certain type of cosmic explosion that becomes, in a flash, the brightest thing in the universe, emitting for a few seconds as much radiation as a million galaxies. Don't bother looking for one in the sky, though, since most of the light is in the gamma-ray part of the spectrum, a realm we can't see." As taken from, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18398244/

Question is, do these occur near Earth and if they did what would the affects be?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan
Superstar
Superstar
Upon reflection, IMHO, the effect of a near Earth gamma ray burst such as is described could be to literally sterilize the surface of the Earth and the oceans to a considerable depth. Might account for some mass extinctions. Any animals exposed to the Gamma ray flux would be in serious hurts. We use gamma rays to sterilize foods and labware. smile

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

M
OP Offline
M
Excellent point Rose II, I have heard of a theory which attributes mass extinctions to Gamma Ray bursts, as oppossed to celestial body impacts. Question is, what can we do to protect against such events?

Sincerely,

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan
Superstar
Superstar
Live in mine shafts? I don't know. But it's theoretically possible that one day the people working in mines (shaft type, not open pit) might somehow be the only survivors of such an event. I sense a good science fiction story lies in that scenario. Maybe I'd best go write it down. smile

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.