Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline
K
OK, which sci fi movie has been the most influential as far as setting the agenda for other sci fi movies and creating a compelling vision of the future?

Most Influential Sci Fi Movie
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/20/07 03:56 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Superstar
Superstar
I would have to add one more to the list: The Last Starfighter. It set the mark for special effects and marked the first use of computer graphics in motion pictures on a large scale. It has influenced the development of computer graphics and special effects in a big way. It brought a Cray supercomputer to its knees in the making of the film. Techniques learned in the making of The Last Starfighter were applied to all the films that came after, including Star Wars. smile

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I've seen some of the movies listed, but I don't have a clue about how agenda-setting each has been. I'm in the "Don't ask me, I only work 'ere" category.

Regarding visions of the future:

I was probably 5 yrs old (10 yrs after WWII) when I first saw Things to Come. For many years after those were the things that I expected to come.

The Time Machine (first version, that followed the book closely), could be something like the future in outline, if not in detail.

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey shortly after it's release, and as much as I enjoyed it (having previously read the book), it was too unrealistic in terms of human behaviour and interaction to represent a vision of our future.

Star Wars - a comic strip style series not to be taken seriously.

Alien was very convincing. I can easily pursuade myself that it could happen.

I would like someone to make a film of Olaf Stapledon's 'Last and First Men'. On second thoughts, it would probably have to be serialised for TV - say, 10 episodes of 2 hrs each. That could get my vote! As it is, I'll go with Alien.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
W
W
I have six of these in my DVD collection!

Consider this a "Write In" vote for Fail Safe. An excellent "what-if" film that is shamelessly overlooked in Sci-Fi discussions.
Another one, although a bit of a stretch, in terms of suspending disbelief, is "AI", a little-known flick from Spielberg. It's a look at how humans may disappear to be replaced by Artificial Intelligence as the world's dominant "life form".

On your list, I'd have to go with TDTESS.

Superstar
Superstar
I remember seeing "AI". It was a nice little film, good special effects and an intense look at the rise of artificial intelligence and how the society reacts by demonising the AI. There is a parallel to racism and it is examined in detail. A truly good film that didn't get much press at the time.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"AI"? is that the one with the boy robot in search of the Blue Fairy? No, seriously smile. I missed the start and end, but it looked very good. If that's not "AI", I'd like to know what it is so I can search for it.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
What about "Enemy Mine"? The book is OK too. It explores the idea of difference and having to compromise in order to survive, as well as gender issues.

Superstar
Superstar
Redewenur,
That's exactly the movie. It was a combination quest/love story with twists on humanity. It made a very good point about racism, as well.

Amaranth

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Many thanks, Amaranth. I'll now be on the lookout for it.

Superstar
Superstar
You can find it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d/104-3815139-6167969?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=the+last+starfighter&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Its difficult to answer your question absolutely Kate.
May ones answer is coloured by ones own characteur?
One might answer 'Aliens' if you tended to be a little pessimistic. Prehaps 'Space Odessy' or Time machine' if a little optimistic?
Metropolis, smacks of Unionised heavy work, not for us humans, under a yoke.
But a very good film nevertheless. It reminds me a little of 'Modern Times' that starred Charlie Chaplin, that came much later, which had a lot of tongue in cheek comedy as well.
We need more people to vote, for a definate answer

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I'm going in to bat for Enemy Mine again, since everyone ignored my last vote! The whole basis of this movie is that that the repulsive weird alien and the human astronaut have to learn to cooperate if they (or their "line" ) were to survive. It has its modern parallels today. The proposition is that our enemy can be an honourable being, and we do not lose our own honour exploring such a possibility. I think it's a very good film.

M
M
I do not know if the original "King Kong" satisfies as sci-fi, but that movie and Journey to the Center of the Earth are some of my favourites.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan
W
W
The question, though, isn't "What's your favorite" or even "Which one influenced/predicted the future the most". It includes the phrase, "as far as setting the agenda for other sci fi movies."

On that parameter, I would have to go with Star Wars, hands down.

As science fiction goes, it's not to be taken too seriously. As a piece of cinematic art that influences those who come after, it has never had an equal. George Lucas' vision was WAY ahead of it's time. The actors were running around with green screens, mostly thinking, "I can't believe I got dumped into this stupid thing." Nobody but George understood what was being made. And then it hit, and the world of science fiction movies has never been the same since.

(With all that said, Blade Runner rules!) smile

w

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
OK I'll give up on Enemy Mine and put my vote in for Star Wars- for all the reasons listed and because I really like it and could watch it any time--again.

I still like EM though and its VERY timely message of looking for common ground with our enemies and not just emphasising the differences. Now there's a relevant suggestion and if it's not the agenda then it should be!

M
M
I think "Alien" creates a compelling vision of the future. There is no "force" (whatever that is) and seems realistic. A vast slew of space/horror movies followed in the heels of Alien. From decent- "Predator", to horrendous- "Jason X"...

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan
B
B
I'm downloading Enemy Mine and Fail Safe now. 7 hours. Are they from 1985 and 2000?
I wanna root for THX 1138. The theme of "Dystopia" returns in the Matrix, Equilibrium etc.
I also wanna root for TRON and Dark City and A Scanner Darkly (all 3 kind of dystopic) and other various Philip K. Dick adaptations, however bad some of them may be.

Last edited by BrianPatrix; 06/25/07 01:28 AM.
M
M
Star Wars was basically a Western, but it pretty much ruined science fiction movies for twenty years. Hollywood (which wasn't much for good sci-fi anyway) decided that all you needed for science fiction was to spend all the money on special effects, and don't worry about plot.

Metropolis had wondrous special effects (they still hang in there 80 years later!), but had a plot--A confusing plot I admit, but a plot.

For science fiction, I still maintain the best actual science fiction movie (as opposed to a story with ray guns and rocket ships) was "The Day the Earth Stood Still.". But I did vote for Metropolis!

Mike B in OKlahoma

"Never confuse with malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

B
B
i have now seen Fail Safe and Enemy Mine, I have since then also seen Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and Impostor. I don't necessarily agree with people who rag on about action SF. And Serenity/Firefly is an excellent example of western SF.
There are all kinds and if it's good, its good and if not, its not.
And what are you on about Star Wars? It soooo had a plot, there's a decaying Evil Empire and the local farm boy discovers he's a destined hero, to save the beautiful princess. We call that Space Opera, see Niven's the Mote in Gods Eye.

B
B
if you know how to handle torrents you can also find it like that, for free!! :):) I dunno about you but i don't feel like giving my 10 bucks to an enterprise that makes 100 million dollars.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.