Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Climate change is already having major impacts on the natural world, a UN report is set to announce. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) believes there is also a discernible, though less marked, impact on human societies. The IPCC is due to release the summary of its report on Friday, and talks look set to go on until the last minute. Draft versions seen by BBC News warn it will be hard for societies to adapt to all the likely climate impacts. The report is set to say that a temperature rise above 1.5C from 1990 levels would put about one-third of species at risk of extinction. For the full article: Click Here . Canuck, in his various disguises, will of course will now argue that everyone is wrong ... EVERYONE. People with subject matter expertise don't know what they are talking about. We should all pay attention to an anonymous SAGG troll. And I might had I not marked ignore so I no longer see his postings likely paid for by Exxon-Mobil as part of its disinformation campaign.

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"The scientific work reviewed by IPCC scientists includes more than 29,000 pieces of data on observed changes in physical and biological aspects of the natural world. Eighty-five percent of these, it believes, are consistent with a warming world."

- That's a lot of data.

"Poorer societies are likely to be hardest hit, as they lack the resources to set up protective measures and change their economic base...President Bush, commenting on a Supreme Court ruling that his administration had a duty to regulate vehicle emissions, maintained the US was 'doing enough' and saw no need to change policy."

- Well, he would. He should trade places with a villager in one of those 'poorer societies'.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
I'd be thrilled if he would just change places with a US citizen.

Of course that citizen would be walking in front of a Humvee in Bagdhad with nothing that wasn't standard issue.

The man, and I use the term in the biological sense only, is pure scum presiding over a kleptocracy.

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Do I take that as a 'no' vote then? <g>

It's no accident that this keeps coming back to Bush like the proverbial boomerang. The EU is getting mightily peeved with his intransigence:

'The report has already led to an exchange of words between the European Union and the US, with Europe's Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas on Monday condemning the US's "negative attitude" towards international climate treaties, and saying that a change of stance was "absolutely necessary".'

Am I right in thinking that some U.S. states are implementing their own independent CO2 emission regulations?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
redewenur wrote:
"The EU is getting mightily peeved with his intransigence"

An intelligent person might question whether:

1. He has ever read the Declaration of Independence.
2. He has ever read the Constitution
3. He has ever read the Bill of Rights
4. He understands the concepts contained therein.

Because he sure doesn't act like it.

You are correct about the states. Even California with a Republican Governor is implementing CO2 emission regulations. I figure every day Bush stays in office his cronies get to steal another couple of billion dollars from us. Any American, younger than 40 and not learning to speak Chinese is a fool.

DA Morgan
W
W
I don't believe in bashing elected officials, so anti-Bush comments from me. But it will be interesting in, say, 20 years, to see how History portrays him and his Administration. I think Historians may call this period America's Darkest Hour since the Depression. And that includes the "Disco Era".

Back to the Topic. Reports like these may make the general population finally remove their Rose Colored Glasses and take a look around. Right now it's, "It hasn't happened (yet) in our collective Backyards, so why should I care? I'll have another Mint Julep, by the way." When I travelled down the Yucatan in 1994, I met so many tourists from Germany, I couldn't count them. Some in Mexico, but more in Guatemala, Belize and Honduras. It seems that the German Government would PAY these kids to travel overseas. Something on the order that "Travel is Education".
Now, why can't the Good Ole USA do something like that? You know, change people's perspectives, maybe?

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Originally Posted By: Wolfman
I don't believe in bashing elected officials, so [no?] anti-Bush comments from me.

So what else are they good for except to vent your spleen over?

If you can't Bash Bush then you strip him of any worth at all. He only has use as comedy fodder - don't take that away from the poor chap.

Blacknad.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
DA wrote:

"An intelligent person might question whether:
1. He has ever read the Declaration of Independence.
2. He has ever read the Constitution
3. He has ever read the Bill of Rights"

Can he read?

Sorry Wolfman. But I think you have hit on something with the rest of your post. The other day I sort of realised the USA is such a threat to the world simply because its inhabitants know so little about the rest of it. I suppose it's because the USA is so large and econmically powerful. Any country is served the propaganda its leaders wish it to hear but citizens in the USA don't seem able to regard its leaders with any cynicism at all. Most people in the rest of the world automatically assume their leaders are lying unless it can be proved otherwise.

Back to the topic. I suppose we have the advantage that if George W actually claimed global warming was a problem many people would cease to believe it.

W
W
The World wouldn't be in such a mess if ordinary Americans had more knowledge about what goes on elsewhere. I think I posted here a little while ago about a group of young journalists I ran across in Africa ten years ago. They were working on a grant from their government, Denmark, I think it was, to "expose" atrocites in sub-Saharan Africa. Boy, those kids had GUTS. Anyway, they showed me albums full of photos that they had taken the previous year of men and boys who had been mutilated and dismembered by "Militia" in the Cote D'Ivoire, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Slaves. Young women with their privates sliced up. Kids, who looked like they were 8 years old carrying Uzi's and AK-47's. They went back to Europe after their translator, a local, was dragged away kicking and screaming by Militiamen, and there was nothing they could do about it except film it.
I met these guys in a town called Karma (I kid you not)in Sudan. After looking at their photos, I was ready to go home, forget Africa, and I had only been there two weeks. But they told me East Africa, where I was travelling, was a "Bed of Roses" by comparison. Sure, a bed of roses with Oxfam Camps everywhere, and armed soldiers on your bus to protect the passengers from bandits. BTW, there are more temples and pyramids in Sudan that there are in Egypt. Some drop-dead gorgeous women, too.
But, the thing is, why isn't that stuff going on in West Africa on the ABC Evening News With Katie Couric? On the cover of Time Magazine? In a Documentary Film hosted by a former VP of America? Why did Bush decide to take out Saddam for Crimes against Humanity and leave the crackpots and warlords in West Africa alone?
Beacause what people don't know won't hurt 'em. Doesn't THAT sound like something ole Gee-Dub would say?

W
W
Post deleted by Amaranth Rose II

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Wolfman asks:
"But, the thing is, why isn't that stuff going on in West Africa on the ABC Evening News"

No oil?
Dark skin?
No blondes?

DA Morgan
S
S
Originally Posted By: DA Morgan
Wolfman asks:
"But, the thing is, why isn't that stuff going on in West Africa on the ABC Evening News"

No oil?
Dark skin?
No blondes?

No threat to Israel.

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Wolfman, Dan and Scpg02. Afraid so.

S
S

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.