Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 150 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2065 06/22/05 05:14 AM
S
OP Offline
S
So who on this board is NOT a crank?

Anyone here with actual credentials? Or is this just a soapbox for people who think they've solved the mysteries of the universe without actually conducting experiments or doing the math?

Freedom of speech makes it easier to spot the idiots.
#2066 06/22/05 05:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This kind of reasoning asumes thought experiments can only be done by those who know maths.. and it also assumes we are weak at logical reasoning.... when it is known that all the reasoning can be derived using '0' and '1'...
Knowing Maths is not as important as understanding the concept...
If you 'understand' Quantum Mechanics then probably you know more that just Schrodinger's Wave equation.How you reach to that 'understanding' is a seperate issue and luckily those who know Maths can undertand it on their own if they have good imagination.

#2067 06/22/05 11:56 AM
C
C
I come to this forum as an inventor. As a foundation to an inventor's role, the best ideas to develop are likely to be halfway between trivial and impossible. This is different than the foundation of an efficient and powerful organization. An organization works well by using a lot of simple and reliable steps. Human exploration opens both surprising knowledge and mature knowledge so an endless supply of both is assured. Surprising knowledge fascinates inventors; mature knowledge advances the scope of organizations.

Civilization needs harmoniously cooperating excellent inventors and organizations. An intermediary is needed for the harmony. That is the small, dynamic, lively, synergistic team.

I offer my partly developed concepts for further development by such a team.

Aloha, Charlie

#2068 06/22/05 11:57 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Scrapin Pegs:
So who on this board is NOT a crank?

Anyone here with actual credentials? Or is this just a soapbox for people who think they've solved the mysteries of the universe without actually conducting experiments or doing the math?
It's not difficult to see who the crancks are. Just take a look here .

People who are definitely not crancks are Kate, Rusty Rockets, DA Morgan, Uncle Al, Pasti and I.

I won't post my credencials here, because then I would have to reveal my identity. When I first posted here a few years ago, I used my real name. But I found out that everything you post here is indexed by google in such a way that a google search on your name will make that posting come up on top. This effect could undermine the very purpose of posting the credencials laugh

#2069 06/22/05 01:56 PM
C
C
Count Ibus II,

I read through your mini course link. Thank you if you will take a little time with me in this forum. I believe that there are ways to use heat outside of the Second Law of Thermodynamics (2LT)which are clearest on a nanometer scale. First, do you already think that such processes are possible? I commissioned an experiment that produced results that support the claim on a micrometer scale. The results showed feasibility without being practical. The experiment can be replicated and modified to explore further. The suggested processes outside 2LT and the present use of larger size scale processes that rely on 2LT are compatible with each other.

Aloha, Charlie

#2070 06/22/05 02:08 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I have no credentials in science. I have a master of engineering degree in engineering math and computer science. I do not pretend that this counts for squat as a scientist. But I do have familiarity, because of training (some outdated and misremembered), interest, and in some cases application. I know quite a lot about simulation, as I am a simulation researcher. I know a very little bit about a lot of other things.

OTOH, there are lots of people who know lots of things that aren't true. I entirely expect that I am among that number.

#2071 06/22/05 03:29 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Scrapin Pegs,

Some of us have actually gone to college ... Have degrees ... and in my case I teach at the University of Washington.

But yes SAGG is primarily a place for cranks to wax nonsensical: Some of which is amusing. My assumption is that the owner of this site is writing a discertation for a psych. class and those posting here are her lab rats. If not I will be most disappointed. ;-)

DA Morgan
#2072 06/22/05 04:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've posted my credentials here so many times it isn't even funny. No one believes me anyway. It would only bore the old timers and make no impression on the newcomers. Suffice it to say, I'm one of those people governments like Saddam Hussein's would like to get a hold of for furthering their biological weapons programs. That's why I use a pseudonym and keep a low profile. You can see another side of me at the link below.

http://www.geocities.com/gjsittler/AmaranthRose.html

Bon appetit! There is some new stuff up, btw, for those of you who are familiar with this site. Check out book starts.

#2073 06/22/05 05:18 PM
Y
Y
Hey, can I help it if I'm just naturally intuitive and can easily grasp concepts that would require study, experimentation and empirical analysis by ordinary mortals?

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
#2074 06/23/05 12:24 AM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Having letters appended after one's surname does not render one inerrant in the discipline or knowledgeable in others Making statements that violate observed reality or derived mathematics absent something reproducible to make it stick is unforgivable, degrees or none. Being too lazy to google a topic rather than pluck commentary out of your fundament is just cause for attack.

"Autodidact" is good. You don't ned a license to think. OTOH, a PhD is useful for getting hired.

We live in Golden Age, and all people do is bitch about yellow.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#2075 06/23/05 02:27 AM
C
C
Civilization may need more original thought as well as progressing from the new benefit of googleized information. I would reward one child's awkward expression of relevant original thought as well as another child's polished delivery of relevant material without internal reflection as both of these children, needing 1 more of 3 skills, are nurtured to an adult ideal of 4 skill polished delivery of relevant material accompanied by mature sometimes original internal thought.

Aloha, Charlie

#2076 06/23/05 04:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good number of beautiful poems you have created Rose.
There is a copyright act but
I still would like to quote from your poem..
"I personally prefer stars to stay
Out in the universe, far, far away."
I understood your poem but would like everyone to reach to the stars if possible..
Getting to the nearest star will never go away from the life's memory.
It is the most insatiable desire as our mothers have told us too many stories about it and the scientist have done no good...
with all the worm holes they still try to give us some hope ... and they have already started selling this imagination ...
It is natural to believe in stars ..
And it is a natural desire to see them closely.
Although they are very very hot..
The very thought is very hot.

#2077 06/23/05 03:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DKV,
Permission to quote is granted as long as attribution is made. Thank you for the sincerest form of flattery. wink

@)--`--,---

#2078 06/27/05 09:02 PM
C
C
I think the Second Law of Thermodynamics is clutter. Some churches support it because it gives God the role of making order in a universe cdllapsing to disorder. Again, its easier to not have 2LT; God would still be wonderfully orderly but mankind would have a better fate than grey doom.

Aloha, Charlie

#2079 06/27/05 10:56 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Brown:
I think the Second Law of Thermodynamics is clutter. Some churches support it because it gives God the role of making order in a universe cdllapsing to disorder. Again, its easier to not have 2LT; God would still be wonderfully orderly but mankind would have a better fate than grey doom.

Aloha, Charlie
2LT is a probabilistic statement valid for all known physical systems.

#2080 06/27/05 11:18 PM
C
C
I propose two nanometer scale devices, the diode array for Johnson noise and the nanonozzle array for Brownian movement to sort kT probabilistic motions where the sorting takes much less energy than the passively differentiated outcomes yield in voltage x current for the diode array or pressure x flow for the nanonozzle array.

Aloha, Charlie

#2081 07/14/05 05:15 PM
Y
Y
Due to the number of cranks and blowhards here, the signal to noise ratio of this forum is pretty lame.

Can anyone recommend a forum where the posts are more consistently of high quality?

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
#2082 07/14/05 11:47 PM
Y
Y
I actually could give you links to some more serious engineering and science discussion boards, but you would probably be kicked off for calling yourself a crank and calling your fellow posters cranks and blowhards.

People don't care what you have done
People won't remember what you have said
But they will never forget how you made them feel
#2083 07/26/05 03:55 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by YOGI:
I actually could give you links to some more serious engineering and science discussion boards, but you would probably be kicked off for calling yourself a crank and calling your fellow posters cranks and blowhards.
I'd be interested in seeing those links, actually.

Freedom of speech makes it easier to spot the idiots.
#2084 08/24/05 08:26 PM
N
N
"crank" as in a grouch or eccentric? lol

Predict the "end of science" at your peril!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.