Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
But, there is no reason why it could not be and should not be. It is my opinion that, eventually, if people are gracious and generous enough, that it will be.

ABOUT PNEUMATOLOGY
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatology

Contains information I introduced to Wikipedia quite some time ago.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/19/07 06:58 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Amnion, in your recent thread you make the following proposal:
Quote:
How about we see consciousness and the mind as a quantum process, a waveform (standing wave I guess, since it sustains for quite some time), which from what I gather from twist or theory means that our minds really exist in 6 or more dimensions. This would really explain a lot, PSI, souls, etc.
This make a lots of sense to me and fits in with with idea that we need to study the nature and function of the pneuma--the spirit

Then you ask:
Quote:
What if some minds are more "tuned" to experiencing those other dimensions?
Exactly, if they are, or are not, we need to do the kind of experimenting to help us find out. Thanks for opening up this topic. I will follow it with interest.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
T
RevLGK: In the wake of the recent tragic event--the terrible loss of over 30 young lives and the suicide of the mass-murderer, at Virginia Tech last Monday--I feel moved to say: The comments you have made about the need for posters to treat one another with respect--verbally and otherwise--are even more apropos than they have ever been, don't you agree?

OFFERED AS A REASON, NOT AS AN EXCUSE
Among other things, the evidence that has come out about the killer and those who knew him makes it abundantly clear that the killer was--and certainly felt he was--a victim of verbal abuse, which was heaped on him by abusers who were not spiritually mature enough to understand the nature and danger of what they were doing.

I remember you referring to certain people as being 'pneumatologically' toxic, sick souls. Such are they who chose to say and do harmful things to others with no thought of the consequences. The killers among us are those who allow themselves to drink in this poison.

Real or imagined, the killer, rered to above, felt that he was being pushed around and demeaned by others. As a result of this, he chose to get even, to lash out at society in general, not just withdraw as most people do. Pneumatology--beyond mere animal psychology, anyone?

Keep in mind that the above is not offered as an excuse, but as a reason. I hope it can also be a helpful warning to us not to be part of the problem.

The operative word, here, is 'chose'. Whenever anyone makes a choice to speak out or to act out, we do so because we are spiritual beings, not animal ones. Dogs can be trained to be vicious; we human beings usually choose to be.

By the way, most people will not become vicious and seek revenge on others when they are, or feel, demeaned. Most often they take it out on themselves. Both forms can lead to unnecessary spiritual pain and suffering. They do a lot of social harm.

NON-SECTARIAN PROFESSIONALS AND LAITY
The solution: Of course we need PROFESSIONALS, from a variety of dsiciplines, ESPECIALLY those attuned to the SPIRITUAL component of human nature; BUT ALONE, THEY CAN DO VERY LITTLE.

What we need are more and more spiritually-minded and mature lay people, helping the professionals. Ordinary people, from all walks of life, who are simply ready and willing to communicate with others lovingly, are essential to the whole process.

PRO-ACTIVE MEDIA
And we really need pro-active media, made up of journalists committed to COMMUNITY ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS by bringing professional and lay together for the greater good of the whole of society

Such communication, using the principle of love--choosing the good--as outlined in the Golden Rule--found in all the great religions--can be of supreme value. Non-toxic ordinary and good people, especially as parents and family members, and friends, can help prevent and/or heal both kinds of pneumatologically-induced kinds of diseases. Like the African proverb puts it: It takes a villiage to raise a child.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Ellis, here is the thread on 'pneumatology'

Pneumatology--study of the spirit, of spiritual beings and phenomena, especially the interactions between humans and God. Pneuma (πνευμα) is Greek for "breath", which metaphorically describes a non-material being or influence. World Book Dictionary defines pneumatology as "1. Theology the doctrine of the Holy Spirit. 2. The doctrine of spirits or spiritual beings, in the 1600s considered a branch of metaphysics. 3. pneumatics. 4. Obsolete word for psychology."

In Christian theology pneumatology refers to the study of the Holy Spirit. In mainstream Christian doctrine, the Holy Spirit is the third person of God in the Trinity. Unitarian forms of Christianity believe that the Holy Spirit is personal, although holding that it may, in some sense, influence people. In the Gospel of John, pneuma is linked to re-birth in water and spirit, which has been suggested to be baptism.
The pneumatology of Philo

Philo (20 B.C. - 40 A.D.) was an Alexandrian Jewish philosopher known for his study of pneumatology. He treats God's divine powers by treating them as a single independent being, which he designates "Logos". This name, which he borrowed from Greek philosophy, was first used by Heraclitus and then adopted by the Stoics.

World Book Dictionary points out that it is an archaic term for psychology.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
As I have written elsewhere: The "new psychologies" are on the same track as pneumatology. So was the work of the great John Dewey.

Google on "the new psychologies". Here is the first thing that came up for me:

http://www.socionics.com/main/welcome.html

But is it really all that new?
In 1884 John Dewey wrote about THE NEW PSYCHOLOGY:
http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Dewey/newpsych.htm

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.