Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 234 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
"American commanders cite al-Qaida's severe brand of Islam, which is so extreme that in Baqouba, al-Qaida has warned street vendors not to place tomatoes beside cucumbers because the vegetables are different genders, Col. David Sutherland said."

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18234571/

No comment, on my part, is required.

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Dan,

You think this is a joke, but I have this problem all the time in my greenhouse. If I leave them alone for too long the cucumbers molest the tomatoes. I understand al-Qaida's noble stand on this completely - anything that can be done to protect the tomatoes from randy cucumbers gets my vote.

The real problem with allowing this kind of horticultural fornication is the baby cucumatoes - no one wants to eat those freaky little critters.

Blacknad.

Megastar
Megastar
I've been thinking about this for a few minutes. I realized that the actual image of those two, side-by-side (or better yet the cucumbers flanked by tomats) is a very pleasurable image. Wow!

I guess in such a repressive society, things like that would be a real problem! But on to more serious matters.

I've noticed that many of the religious prohibitions seem to be designed to prevent health/disease problems. Keeping things clean and separated made much more sense back in the days when nothing was washed (& still does). It's people who have pigs that will start the avian flu pandemic.

Maybe there is some fungus/pest that is common between cukes and tomats.

But it sure is funny on the surface.

~~ smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Arrgghh...(is that the correct spelling?)
_______

samwik: "Maybe there is some fungus/pest that is common between cukes and tomats."

- You cannot credit those abominations with an ounce of good reason.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Megastar
Megastar
Certainly no good reasons that are known.
I imagine religions as incorporating some folk wisdom whose origins are then lost and mutated.

...but now here's another example of ridiculous prohibitions perhaps having some practical result: "The cucumber mosaic virus has one of the broadest host ranges of any of the tomato viruses. The disease affects a number of important vegetables and ornamentals including tomato, pepper, cucumber, melons, squash, spinach, celery, beets, and petunia." -thanks google.

Dare we ask what the punishment is for rubbing cucumbers up against the tomatoes? Probably way out of proportion to the crime of spreading powdery mildew (though there probably were times in history when food was much more important than today).

~SA

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Samwik wrote:
"Maybe there is some fungus/pest that is common between cukes and tomats."

That pest is called Wackosa fundamentalia.

Rather prolific at times
Habitat caves
Killed by exposure to sunlight

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
grin a M-organism

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Superstar
Superstar
And highly R-selected, too.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.