Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
A French architect says he has cracked a 4,500-year-old mystery surrounding Egypt?s Great Pyramid, claiming that it was built from the inside out. Previous theories have suggested that Pharaoh Khufu?s tomb, the last surviving example of the seven great wonders of antiquity, was built using either a vast frontal ramp or a ramp in a corkscrew shape around the exterior to haul up the stonework. But flouting previous wisdom, Jean-Pierre Houdin said advanced 3-D technology has shown the main ramp that was used to haul the massive stones to the apex was contained 10-15 meters beneath the outer skin, tracing a pyramid within a pyramid. For the full story Click Here .

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Nice find Dan.

Blacknad.

Megastar
Megastar
Jean-Pierre Houdin's theory gets rid of the long ramp used for dragging stones up to the Great Pyramid. But to my mind sets out a few extra questions.
A/. There are remains of ramps used in building some of the smaller Pyramids.
B/.By using this exterior corkscrew ramp...would they have had to drag and fill (towards the center) the interior of the pyramid as they progressed up? A very very rough real actual up and down movement of the heavy stones would have to have been done before fitting.
C/. The exterior corkscrew ramp could not have been any wider than a stones width or length. Prehaps not more than 3 or 4 stones, (in single line) could be taken off at a time? Not forgetting the groups of men in between any two stones on the ramp, in sufficient numbers to drag up their particular stone?
D/.The Great Pyramid was supposed to have taken just 20 years to build. The number of stones it contains is estimated at about 2.4 million. I think that means, - ONE stone had to be cut, quarried, moved and fitted into place every 90 seconds.
Is that possible? Especially when using a circuitous narrow one-lane ramp, that held a single line of stones, that had to be hauled up, then pushed inwards, over others for final fitting?
Something wrong somewhere.

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Where is you find the 20 year value?

DA Morgan
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: DA Morgan
Where is you find the 20 year value?

It's 756 feet long on each side, 450 high and is composed of 2,300,000 blocks of stone, each averaging 2 1/2 tons in weight. Despite the makers' limited surveying tools no side is more than 8 inches different in length than another, and the whole structure is perfectly oriented to the points of the compass. Until the 19th century it was the tallest building in the world and, at the age of 4,500 years, it is the only one of the famous "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" that still stands. It is the Great Pyramid of Khufu, at Giza, Egypt.

Some of the earliest history of the Pyramid comes from a Greek traveler named Herodotus of Halicanassus. He visited Egypt around 450 BC and included a description of the Great Pyramid in a history book he wrote. Herodotus was told by his Egyptian guides that it took twenty-years for a force of 100,000 oppressed slaves to build the pyramid. Stones were lifted into position by the use of immense machines. The purpose of the structure, according to Herodotus's sources, was as a tomb for the Pharaoh Khufu (whom the Greeks referred to as Cheops).

Most of what Herodotus tells us is probably false. Scientists calculate that fewer men and less years were needed than Herodotus suggests.

http://www.unmuseum.org/kpyramid.htm

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Thanks for the update. Personally I would expect the biggest amount of time required would be for quarrying the stones ... not putting them into place.

Has anyone positively identified where the stones originated and how they got there?

There was a report I posted to SAGG some time back indicating that some of them may have been poured in place and were actually concrete. I've seen nothing about that since.

DA Morgan
Megastar
Megastar
I hav'nt been able to find the relevant concrete/Pyramid URL.
But from memory it was only the outside casing stones that were cast in this way. Giving them an exceptionaly smooth sun reflecting surface.
All the external casing stones were taken away to build early Cairo.
p.s Their 'concrete' was not of the accepted mix as we know it.

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror."

.....Mike Kremer.

S
S
I thought the concrete theory had been disproved. I do believe the Sphinx is older though. I think the Egyptians modified it but didn't build it.

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
scpg02, I don't think it's actually been disproved (yet)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article656117.ece?pasta

"The concrete theorists say that they will be unable to prove their theory conclusively until the Egyptian authorities give them access to substantial samples."

Anyone found anything more recent?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: scpg02
I thought the concrete theory had been disproved. I do believe the Sphinx is older though. I think the Egyptians modified it but didn't build it.

Posting just popped up by Redewenur.
Davidovits, is the guy who first proposed the Pyramid was built of Concrete! Wikipeadia (got it wrong) stating that ALL the pyramid was cast!!
I originaly understood that only the smooth white casing stones were cast.
The URL and others state that they must have been cast using a limestone aggregate. So where did they get the crushing machinery from?
Five tons mixed and cast, in situ, Sun dried blocks next each other? That would have meant blocks would have been joined to the lower blocks, that the concrete was sitting on. Any slurry mixtures that dripped down would have been found today.
It means the 5 ton cast blocks would have beem more dense towards their base.
And what about the sloping tunnels within the Pyramid? How to cast those, in situ, with no drips? Pull the other leg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Davidovits

http://www.geopolymer.org/news/cutting-edge-analysis-proves-davidovits%E2%80%99-pyramid-theory

And yes, scpg02 the Sphink is accepted by the Egyptian authorities as being considerably older. It shows rain water channels etched into its lower plinth.
While its face had been recarved later, to show the Pharoeh (Kufu?) at that time.
The sphinx is sitting on a limestone plateau. Using Electronic technology some years ago it was shown that there is an underground chamber sitting beneath its front paws

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror."

.....Mike Kremer.

Megastar
Megastar
Hi redewenur,

I found a scad of old pyramid 1800 pictures, which I posted elsewhere.
You might find them interesting, if not relevent here?

http://www.gizapyramid.com/oldphotos1.htm

Mike Kremer

E
E
Of course it bloody well was!!!

It would have been a miracle to build it from the outside inwards!!!!

I have to add that I've been inside them all ( Giza 3 that is) and they are absolutely awesome.

Last edited by Eduardo; 04/21/07 12:35 AM.

Eduardo
Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.
There are 10 types of people in the world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Megastar
Megastar
Hi Eduardo,

Yes well I have to agree that the original title "Was the Great Pyramid built from inside out? Does not make a lot of sense.

I wonder if they meant "Was the Great Pyramid built from the outside in.?*!x?!

From the point of view that they laid out the outside course of stones going around the outside of a rising ramp, and using the external ramp to place the stones inside the Pyramid, as they progressed higher?

As the original article suggested? Hehe.

I'm as flumoxed as you are, but the photos are great.
I went to a lot of trouble to find those.

You so lucky to have visited one of the wonders of the Ancient World.

Mike Kremer.

E
E
Sorry Mike, posted without reading fully, my bad.

Trust me if you can get there, do so. AMAZING.

One of!! you mean the only still extant. assuming you are going by the ancient greek 7.

I have to say though tomb of Nefertari is 'Mind Blowing' if you can still get in.

You can feel her there!!

Last edited by Eduardo; 04/21/07 02:12 AM.

Eduardo
Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.
There are 10 types of people in the world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Mike wrote:

"I went to a lot of trouble to find those."

And thanks a lot. They're great.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.