Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amnion Offline OP
OP Offline
All,
I was thinking something that might seem bizarre but here goes.
How about we see consciousness and the mind as a quantum process,
a waveform (standing wave I guess, since it sustains for quite some time), which from what I gather from twistor theory means that our minds really exist in 6 or more dimensions. This would really explain a lot, PSI, souls, etc. What if some minds are more "tuned" to experiencing those other dimensions? The egg experiments have already shown that we as a species anticipate future events, which would be easy to explain if our higher parts of the mind, call it the subconscious (in sub-space/super-space) exists in dimensions which are not limited by our space-time.
I'm sure this has been posted here but after looking around, I thought it might be safe to make a new post.
-A

Mind are like parachutes. They work best when open.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I think you are over aggrandizing human consciousness.

Not that quantum processes don't occur in everything but the fact that we don't understand something doesn't mean we should use something else we don't understand as an explanation.

DA Morgan
Amnion Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not so sure, after reading about the possibilities of quantum computing and many body entanglement (RE: Penrose), it seems likely that the many-body problems that are upcoming in physics are just practice in our search for really getting to the nature of what consciousness is. The human mind's complexity should be a logarithmic function of the complexity of its components, hence the nature of the IQ scale is not linear, nor is any other phenomenon in our universe. The apparent linear nature of observable phenomenon is at worse a gross simplification or at best the addition of contrary logarithmic functions.
-A

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Amnion: "parts of the mind, call it the subconscious (in sub-space/super-space) exists in dimensions which are not limited by our space-time"

I have reason to be quite certain that something along those lines is the reality. I can't prove it and neither, of course, can anyone else - yet. I wouldn't want to hazard any guess about how it can be. Science is still too young to provide the answers, but I'm sure they will come, given time.

I would be reluctant to comment on the remaining contents of your above two posts. At present, there's a great deal of room for speculation since so little is actually known about consciousness.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Amnion Offline OP
OP Offline
@redewnur
Sure, I agree, but speculation is how we get to the realm of a new reality, re: Special Relativity, and many other good things have arisen out of pure thought. Only later (sometimes much later.)
can we "prove" anything smile. Plus its fun to let your mind go and speculate.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Amnion: "Special Relativity, and many other good things have arisen out of pure thought."

- I'm not sure about the "many other good things", but Special Relativity? No, not by a long shot. Although the discovery of SR was dramatic, Einstein didn't produce it out of thin air. Any speculating that Einstein did was based on knowledge built up by previous work of many scientists. The work of Michael Faraday and then, especially, James Clerk Maxwell was a very significant foundation for SR. You might be interested in the links below (off topic, but never mind smile ).

The point I'm making is not that speculation has no value. Sure it has. But speculation without relevant knowledge and skills is most likely to fall short of reality - even for the Einsteins of this world. But I agree, it's certainly fun smile

Links.

Maxwell and Faraday:-

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi905.htm

How Maxwell showed Einstein The Way:-

http://www.chaos.org.uk/~eddy/physics/Maxwell.html

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
redewenur is correct. Very little of Special and General relativity was created in a vacuum or by mental horsepower alone.

Einstein was brilliant. But he was standing on the shoulders of giants.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.