Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.


The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online
0 registered (), 302 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters (30 Days)
Page 27 of 35 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 35 >
Topic Options
#20484 - 04/15/07 01:36 PM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Ellis]
DA Morgan Offline
Megastar

Registered: 10/17/04
Posts: 4136
Loc: Seattle, WA
Ellis wrote:
"most christians are living quiet lives trying to follow the teachings of their Leader."

I will grant that too.

But are you willing to grant that so are most Jews, most Moslems, most Buddhists, most animists, etc.?

Most people, regardless of race, creed, religion, nationality, hair color, and shoe size, just want to be left alone to be decent people doing decent things.

Unfortunately that fact has not stopped them from being used as pawns by those who call upon their nationalist and religious spirit as a means of rationalizing horrors.

It was otherwise very decent people who built the ovens in Auschwitz and Treblinka.
_________________________
DA Morgan

Top
.
#20491 - 04/15/07 02:06 PM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Ellis]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
Ellis, you mention how some of us are given to "nit-picking"--finding faults in a petty niggling manner.

But worse than that: Too many of us are prone to dissing and dishing out drive-by smears, without honour or substance, that are demeaning, disgusting, undignified and, as one journalist said recently "so much a part of the tenor of our times". And there is more...later.
_________________________
G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org

Top
#20495 - 04/15/07 05:01 PM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
DA Morgan Offline
Megastar

Registered: 10/17/04
Posts: 4136
Loc: Seattle, WA
But worse than that: Too many of us are prone to self-promotion and dishing out meaningless fluff that does nothing of substance to make the world a better place.
_________________________
DA Morgan

Top
#20504 - 04/15/07 10:56 PM Re: Evidence for God [Re: DA Morgan]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
The CBC panel, to which I referred in my last post, gathered yesterday, to talk about the recent Don Imus affair. Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Imus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_slur

Don graciously apologized for his off-the-cuff words. He agreed that his remarks were cheap shots and nothing but mudslinging.

Good for him. Let us learn from him. As I understand it, his apology was accepted by those to whom they were aimed. Again I say, good for them.

BTW, if ever I offend anyone here, please let me know. Then offer an example of my offensive comments. I will, immediately, withdraw them and offer my apology, no strings attached.

I look forward to hearing from you.

_________________________
G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org

Top
#20506 - 04/15/07 11:14 PM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
DA Morgan Offline
Megastar

Registered: 10/17/04
Posts: 4136
Loc: Seattle, WA
Let the black community learn from him.

Don Imus learned those words from the black community and is no more, or less, guilty than some of that community's idols.

I applaud Don Imus.
I am glad he offended people.
I am glad he got fired.
I am glad he is paying the price.
Many more should join him including those who financially profit from the trade.

But I am equally glad he is shining a bright light on gansta rap and its misogynistic lyrics.

My nation tis in thee
Sweet land where niggardly
Cannot be said.

Land where all prose is trite,
Forced by the not too bright
Who're looking for every slight
Lit'racy is dead.
~ Lawrence Skain - The Economist

And this relates to the subject of this thread in what way?
_________________________
DA Morgan

Top
#20509 - 04/16/07 03:55 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: DA Morgan]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
As in my signature: G?D is love...Spirit...In G?D we seek to understand: Sin...Good...Evil...Meaness...Greed...Repentance...Forgiveness...Human Relationships...Awareness...Life and the intention to live it, better!!! How many think of this as "self-promoting meaningless fluff?"

All are evidence of G?D. What more evidence do we need?
=========================


Edited by Revlgking (04/16/07 05:47 AM)

Top
#20511 - 04/16/07 04:23 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
Ellis Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/08/07
Posts: 1490
Loc: Australia
Yes DA, I will allow that many people of various religions help others. That is not an exclusively christian virtue. But my main point actually was that the only people I could easily find in that largely internet-free time was a christian organisation. Perhaps if I lived in a muslim country I could have foung a muslim lot--or a jewish crowd in Israel, and I have no doubt they exist---because I was suggesting the conclusion that religious people seem to want to develop organisations that support others less fortunate than themselves. (So do Socialists but they are more intent on earning the rewards by armed struggle in this life not postponing it to the next). However all I could find was World Vision. I think they are amazing--apart from making me sign a very god-laden card for my sponsored child every Christmas! I still don't know of an atheist organisaion that helps at such a grass-roots level. Perhaps I should send money to Madonna and Angelina Jolie!

Top
#20514 - 04/16/07 04:48 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Ellis]
DA Morgan Offline
Megastar

Registered: 10/17/04
Posts: 4136
Loc: Seattle, WA
relgking wrote:
"Sin...Good...Evil...Meaness...Greed...Repentance...Forgiveness...Human Relationships...Awareness...Life and the intention to live it, better!!! How many think of this as "self-promoting meaningless fluff?"

They are just words without any but situational definitions. What is sin to you is not to me. What is good to you is not to me. Until such time as you can get persons of each and every religion to sit down in a room with deists, agnostics, and atheists and agree on the definitions they are fluff.

Self promoting is you using SAGG to troll for financial donations to you on your website. Never do you post without a self-promoting link.
_________________________
DA Morgan

Top
#20515 - 04/16/07 04:51 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: DA Morgan]
DA Morgan Offline
Megastar

Registered: 10/17/04
Posts: 4136
Loc: Seattle, WA
Ellis wrote:
"my main point actually was that the only people I could easily find in that largely internet-free time was a christian organisation."

Is that a surprise in a Christian country speaking a language whose speakers are almost all Christians?

Assume you spoke Cantonese or Farsi or Hindi. Bet your search results would be rather different.

What you find, and what you believe, are just an accident of your birth.
_________________________
DA Morgan

Top
#20519 - 04/16/07 05:36 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: DA Morgan]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
THE FAMILY LIFE FOUNDATION is a registered non-sectarian charity with a body, mind and spirit foundation. It is subject to public audit. We were audited in 2005-2006 and passed with many good compliments.

I am the volunteer manager of the FLF and I provide the space for it plus most of my volunteer-time. I consider my work for the counseling and service program of the FLF my ministry in re-directment. I do not like the word, retire. Perhaps I will give some examples of what the FLF does, later.

DA, if my posting a link to the FLF offends one other person besides you, I will remove it from my signature. Maybe we could ask the sponsor, or do a poll.


Edited by Revlgking (04/16/07 05:41 AM)

Top
#20526 - 04/17/07 12:42 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
DA Morgan Offline
Megastar

Registered: 10/17/04
Posts: 4136
Loc: Seattle, WA
revlgking wrote:
"is a registered non-sectarian charity...."

Which in no way alters the fact that you are trolling for dollars.

Please do us the courtesy of promoting your website by some means other than posting links to it at SAGG.

Thank you.
_________________________
DA Morgan

Top
#20533 - 04/17/07 03:40 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: DA Morgan]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
Posters, doesn't the above sound like some control-freak troll is trolling for control? Shouldn't it be the prerogative of the host/moderator to call the shots?

TROLLING FOR DOLLARS? What a laugh!
BTW, either I must be very poor troller, or SAGGERs are very stingy, and/or too poor. Not one Lincoln penny has come our way, yet.

Over the years, we have raised some money which has gone mostly into education, community and family enrichment, and employing people who just can't make it in the regular market place. Check out one of our projects http://www.torontodollar.com approved by the Mayor and Council of Toronto.

Less than 5% has gone for expenses.

SIGNS OF THE TIMES
In view of today's tragic news--added to more and more of the same kind of news of brutal violence--foreign and domestic--from the recent past--something is drastically wrong with the way many of us are doing personal, famly and community enrichment.

It seems that the spirit of evil has split many of us into two extremes. As we become more and more a strictly secular or fanatically-religious society, our hospitals, jails, death rows, asylums and cemeteries are becoming fuller and fuller.

Interestingly, the root meaning of 'devil'--diabolos, in Greek, from which we get 'diabolic'--is: that which splits us and turns us against ourselves and others, incapable of seeing what moderates, balances and works for the common good.




Edited by Revlgking (04/17/07 04:55 AM)

Top
#20536 - 04/17/07 04:42 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
DA Morgan Offline
Megastar

Registered: 10/17/04
Posts: 4136
Loc: Seattle, WA
revlgking wrote:
"doesn't the above sound like some control-freak"

No it doesn't. It sounds like someone tired of watching you abuse Kate's website to raise money for yourself.

If you would do us the courtesy of talking about science ...

Or even subjects related to science ...

And not do what no one else here does which is post the URL to their personal sites where they derive their income ...

That would be common courtesy. Something I would think would benefit everyone. Instead of trying to justify the troll ... just stop doing it.
_________________________
DA Morgan

Top
#20539 - 04/17/07 05:05 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: DA Morgan]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
This thread, by Tim, is about evidence for God.

Where is yours, DA?

From the beginning, even before I started to post, you have spent most of your time knocking others and trying to destroy the thread. Why?

This is divisive, diabolic.

As I said in my revised post above: "Posters, doesn't the above sound like some control-freak troll is trolling for control? Shouldn't it be the prerogative of the host/moderator to call the shots?


Edited by Revlgking (04/17/07 05:09 AM)
_________________________
G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org

Top
#20541 - 04/17/07 05:14 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
reasonable Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 04/17/07
Posts: 4
Xcuse me for barging in. I'm new here and just could not resist.

Briefly: what are we discussing here? We can't discuss whether God exists or not unless we agree on a definition or sorts. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

So, let me begin. What is God?

Once we agree on that, we can discuss whether it exists or not.

Capisce?

Top
#20542 - 04/17/07 05:35 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: reasonable]
redewenur Offline
Megastar

Registered: 02/14/07
Posts: 1840
Capisce - but I think you'll never obtain of a meaningful consensus regarding 'What is God?'.

Some derive their view by experiential means, others by 'logic', others by what they read and hear - and others by combination of each. One simply cannot see into the mind of another in order verify that they have the same understanding and experience.
_________________________
"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Top
#20543 - 04/17/07 05:36 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
BTW, I admit that I disagree with the way some theists, and deists, define 'God'. It is too narrow, for me, but I have a great deal of respect for the god-principle and I am willing to listen to their theology with respect, without personal attacks.

Speaking for myself, I can say that I am a panentheist; that I like process philosophy and theology and I can offer my philosophic reasons for that concept without saying more than that about those who believe otherwise.

I like dialogue, and I like experimental science, as I have said more than once.

I can also dialogue with atheists, without calling them blind fools--as, by the way, the Bible does.

I HAVE TALKED ABOUT SCIENCE
In the philosophy thread I have also given references to many scientific experiments, by scientists, regarding religion. prayer, meditation and the like. To say that I have not talked about science in this "not quite science" section is totally false. And I don't think I have cluttered up the hard science sections. I read, quietly.

Kate knows my position and has given her okay, so far. I think like most editors likes the readership numbers.

If she wants me to remove anything I have written, including my revised signature, all she has to do is send me a PM, or simply do it. I am very easy, it can be done, immediately. I presume and hope you respect any PM she sends to you, right?



_________________________
G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org

Top
#20544 - 04/17/07 05:39 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: reasonable]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
Originally Posted By: reasonable
Xcuse me for barging in. I'm new here and just could not resist. Briefly: what are we discussing here?....
So, let me begin. What is God?
Once we agree on that, we can discuss whether it exists or not.
Capisce?

Good point! Wonderful question, Reasonable.

Have you read enough of my stuff to have some idea of how I define 'god'? We do not need to argue; just let's dialogue, okay?
I will begin by repeating: I do not believe in 'god' as a personal being with human-like features...but I am definitly not an atheist. Your go. How about you?


Edited by Revlgking (04/17/07 05:43 AM)
_________________________
G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org

Top
#20545 - 04/17/07 05:49 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
reasonable Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 04/17/07
Posts: 4
Oh! So we are discussing here whether 'god' as you define it exists. Cool.

No, I have not read it yet (all 27 pages!) I only scaned them quickly and saw right away that the discussion is about something very private in participants' heads and not necessarily shared. One privately thinks of an apple and another of an organge. Which one exists? And then here comes another guy with a melon in his head. Must be fun.

Top
#20546 - 04/17/07 05:55 AM Re: Evidence for God [Re: Revlgking]
Revlgking Offline
Megastar

Registered: 01/17/07
Posts: 2311
Loc: markham (Thornhill), Ontario, ...
BTW, Reasonable, I like what I find in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_theology
It is not always easy to keep track of who believes what.

It would be very helpful if posters gave a summary in their profiles. I also have it in my URL--which is NOT about making money for me, as inferred by those who refuse to think constructively. The FLF actually costs me money, and lots of time.
_________________________
G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org

Top
Page 27 of 35 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 35 >



Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor
Facebook

We're on Facebook
Join Our Group

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.