Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
B
Dan Morgan posted the following link in 'Are all Males Liars?':

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_33.html

It shows arrest rates in the US for the last ten years.

The rest can be found here:

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthr...e=0&fpart=3

One notable aspect of Table 33 is that it shows men's arrests falling by 7.6% and women's rising by 7.4%.

The question is simply, 'Why is this?'

I can see that the male/female ratio in the US is currently 0.97 males. I suspect that the male ratio is increasing slightly due to increased immigrant numbers (more immigrants will be young males).

See here for useful info on demographics:

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

So ? any takers?

Blacknad.

B
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
B
I'll kick off.

I suspect rising female crime is in part due to the normal social structures breaking down.

Now don't, for one minute, think that I feel that women who get pregnant outside of marriage should be snubbed socially and thought less of.

But the fact is that 'shame' was a social mechanism that prevented what was deemed 'untoward' behaviour. In the forties and fifties in the UK people didn't have sex outside of marriage very often. My own Mother told me she didn't do anything until being married at 21. 21 year old virgins are about as rare as a meaningful sentence from George Bush these days.

We now have many girls getting pregnant at 12 or even younger.

I am not advocating a return to the old ways - they were merciless and people who fell foul of social expectations felt much pain. I am simply making the case that the concept of 'shame' was one of the most powerful ways of affecting behaviour and females suffered the greatest levels of societally directed shame.

Now we have dropped the concept, in the UK we have had to invent a new term for lager-drinking girls - 'Ladettes'. I have been out drinking with groups of young women and their behaviour is scary and the amount they can knock back is astonishing.

We also have large problems with teenage girl gangs that (anecdotally) appear able to be far more brutal and devoid of conscience than their teenage boy gang counterparts.

I just think the restrictions are off and therefore the gloves are off. The old idea of 'the fairer sex' may well be consigned to history.

I also think that the world that women find themselves in is conducive to more stress. They often hold down challenging careers and more often than not do more than their partners in the home also. Mother's often devote much energy to work and then come home to have to expend even more energy looking after children. Women?s arrests for Offences Against the Family up by 6% whilst men?s down by 18.8% - this last stat (men?s) may be due to the trend of more men being absent from the family and familial commitments.

This increased demand upon women is likely IMO to contribute towards increased stress and more incidents of reportable crime ? stats show women arrested for Aggravated Assault up by 5.4% and Violent Crime up 4.4% also Drug Abuse Violations up by 41.7% against men?s increase of only 21%. Disorderly Conduct up by 4.2% against men?s drop of 13.8%. Also Vandalism up by 10.2% against men?s 14.9% drop.

Now women also are forced to compete with men on an uneven basis in the corporate world. They have to play even harder to progress. This would account for increased incidents of corporate related misdemeanours amongst women. Stats show women?s Forgery and Counterfeiting up by 3% - Embezzlement up by 32.6% - but Fraud DOWN by 23.8%.

I have not referred to any proper studies in my post, and this is not good form for a science board ? all of the above is my opinion and I would be happy for the facts to prove me wrong.

Your take on things?

Blacknad.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
"I suspect rising female crime is in part due to the normal social structures breaking down."

I suspect your are correct. Though to that I would add:

1. Drugs and alcohol
2. Stereo-types in movies, TV, and video-games

Well there went a perfectly healthy debate. Anybody want to take a different position?

DA Morgan
S
S
None of you looked at that one link of mine. Sigh. It's awfully long to post in the middle of a thread but the studies were important. And I put this part in color to distinguish if from the quoted studies.

Williams, S. L., & Frieze, I. H. (2005). Patterns of violent relationships, psychological distress, and marital satisfaction in a national sample of men and women. Sex Roles, 52 (11/12), 771-784. (Data from a National Comorbidity Survey was examined. In a sample of 3,519 men and women it was found that 18.4% were involved in a violent relationship. Most violence, both mild and severe, was mutual. However, women were more likely than men to initiate both mild and severe violence.)

Vasquez, D., & Falcone, R. (1997). Cross gender violence. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 29 (3), 427-429. (Reports equal cross gender violence treated at an Ohio trauma center during an 11 mouth period. Of 1,400 trauma admissions, 37 patients <18 men, 19 women> sustained injuries inflicted by members of the opposite sex. The severity score of injury was higher for men than women, 11.4 vs 6.9. The majority of men were admitted for stab wounds, 72%; the majority of women for assault, 53%.)

Thompson Jr., E. H. (1990). Courtship violence and the male role. Men's Studies Review, 7 (3), 1, 4-13. (Subjects were 336 undergraduates <167 men, 169 women> who completed a modified version of the CTS. Found that 24.6% of men compared to 28.4% of women expressed physical violence toward their dating partners within the past two years. Found that women were twice as likely as men to slap their partners.)

Straus, M. A., & Ramirez, I. L. (2002, July). Gender symmetry in prevalence, severity, and chronicity of physical aggression against dating partners by university students in Mexico and USA. Paper presented at the XV World Meeting of the International Society for Research on Aggression, Montreal, Canada. Available at: http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/. (Reports findings from four samples of university students in Juarez, Mexico, El Paso and Lubbock, Texas, and New Hampshire. Subjects (N=1,554) responded to the revised Conflict Tactics Scale. Results indicate that there were no significant differences between males and females in either the overall prevalence of physical aggression or the prevalence of severe attacks. However, when only one partner was violent it was twice as likely to be the female than the male <19.0% vs 9.8%>. Moreover, in terms of severe aggression females were twice as likely to be violent than men <29.8% vs 13.7%>).

Archer, J., & Ray, N. (1989). Dating violence in the United Kingdom: a preliminary study. Aggressive Behavior, 15, 337-343. (Twenty three dating couples completed the Conflict Tactics scale. Results indicate that women were significantly more likely than their male partners to express physical violence. Authors also report that, "measures of partner agreement were high" and that the correlation between past and present violence was low.)

Arriaga, X. B., & Foshee, V. A. (2004). Adolescent dating violence. Do adolescents follow in their friends' or their parents' footsteps? Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 19, 162-184. (A modified version of Conflict Tactics Scale was administered on two occasions, 6 months apart, to 526 adolescents, <280 girls, 246 boys> whose median age was 13. Results reveal that 28% of girls reported perpetrating violence with their partners <17% moderate, 11% severe> on occasion one, while 42% of girls reported perpetrating violence <25% moderate, 17% severe> on occasion two. For boys, 11% reported perpetrating violence <6% moderate, 5% severe> on occasion one, while 21% reported perpetrating violence <6% moderate, 15% severe> on occasion two. In terms of victimization, 33% of girls, and 38% of boys reported being victims of partner aggression on occasion one and 47% of girls and 49% of boys reported victimization on occasion two.

I recommend reading the rest here. It's very enlightening.
http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
B
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
B
Thanks Maggie,

What I would like to know though is 'what are the reasons for the violence?'

In almost every relationship or marriage I know of, the woman carries the burden of assuming greater familial responsiblity, greater amount of housework, greater degree of time spent looking after children etc. They often show more restraint in financial matters and so on...

In essence, I believe that women have far greater provocation to 'lose their rag' and in some cases their violence will be born of desperation after silently suffering for years.

However, the studies you cite are a real shock. It does question our long held beliefs that women are generally the gentler, nurturing, compassionate sex.

Blacknad.

E
E
" I suspect rising female crime is in part due to the normal social structures breaking down. "

If you mean that things are a changing as demonstrated by womens' right to vote, then I would agree;) However, I suspect that this is not what you had in mind.

No, not quite equal, but the trend/trek is the preeminent parameter. Equal rights, mean equal pressures, access, opportunity and oddly enough, are followed closely by expression. ~regards

S
S
Quote:
'what are the reasons for the violence?'
Hormones. They don't call it PMS for nothing.

S
S
Originally Posted By: esin
No, not quite equal, but the trend/trek is the preeminent parameter. Equal rights, mean equal pressures, access, opportunity and oddly enough, are followed closely by expression. ~regards

At the risk of being misquoted again I ask that you consider this notion.

There were rights traditionally held by women and rights traditionally held by men. The women's movement was a social fight to give women the rights traditionally held by men. However, they did not allow men to have the rights traditionally held by women. There is neither equality, nor equal protection under the law. Men have become the disposable sex.

S
S
Originally Posted By: Blacknad
Thanks Maggie,

You're welcome.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
esin wrote:
"If you mean that things are a changing as demonstrated by womens' right to vote, then I would agree;) However, I suspect that this is not what you had in mind."

At least in my case that would be correct. I'm find myself optimistic about the possibilities with the breakdown of many of the social structures that limited opportunities for women.

Yet at the same time I can also acknowledge that we are tearing things down without providing replacements. And leaving many people with a feeling of being adrift, isolated, and scared. And humans tend to react poorly when they feel fear.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.