Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Wayne,

Relax and hang around. No ones going to be raped or feel afraid to report a rape due to Dan's words.

Blacknad.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
You got me Wayne ... very poorly written. An attempt to be lighten up gone awry.

Not what I intended and not what I believe.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Ok sgcp02 ... lets deal with what you actually wrote point-by-point.

But let me first remind you that before taking this on a tangent the subject of the thread was crayfish.

So here are your exact quotes interspersed with my comments:

If men are the all powerful sex?

* Why are they the suicide sex? (Why are we unaware that our grandfathers are 1350% more likely to commit suicide than our grandmothers?)

Answer: Because they are more likely to suffer from untreated depression. Because they are less connected with family and community. Because they are less likely to ask for help. Because they are less likely to confide in friends. And because they are biologically expendable.

* Why did men live one year less than women in 1920 but live seven years less than women in 1990?

Answer: Don't know but I doubt it is some medical/pharmacological conspiracy. Lets take a look at possible reasons and do so by looking at the cause of their mortality which you haven't stated and the risk factors associated. Do you have that handy?

* Why are our dads about as likely to die of prostate cancer as our mothers are of breast cancer while breast cancer receives 660% more funding?

Answer: Because women are far more politically active and because women are more comfortable about their bodies, sexually speaking, than men and are willing to stand up in public and say "breast" and "cervix" while men will not even talk to each other about "testicles" and "prostates." We men have no one to blame other than ourselves.

* Why do men make more money but have lower net worth?

Answer: Because they are damned fools? Truthfully I don't know and I don't even know that what you wrote is correct. It may be in the US but it most certainly is not for a majority of households on this planet where a woman's net worth is the jewelry she can wear. Consider this excerpt from the New Zealand Treasury:

"70. Neither gender nor marital status appear to affect net wealth"

Source: zeus.econ.umd.edu/cgi-bin/conference/download.cgi?db_name=esam2003&paper_id=81 -

It would be helpful if, when making statements such as those above, you would provide links. For example my attempt to validate the life expectancy numbers you posted failed as the most credible source I can find, MIT, states:

"We have looked at the implications of using only male life expectancy. ... 738) also reports life expectancy for 1920-22 as 59.15 (male) and 63.31 (female)"

When I subtract 59 from 63 I don't get 1.

BTW: The source is:
econ-www.mit.edu/faculty/download_pdf.php?id=1355

DA Morgan
P
P
I can respect everything you just presented in your last post DA. If there's anything we all can learn about the issue, it's that statistics and generalizations don't seem to make a good mix.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Little lies, big lies and statistics?

S
S
All those questions are from the forward of the book cited above them. You took someone else's words and attributed them to me. Try going to the link and seeing what the book is about. Open your ears and your mind for once.

Quote:
It would be helpful if, when making statements such as those above, you would provide links.

I have provided links to everything and near as I can tell you have investigated none of them.

You need to take a step back. Your initial judgment of me was in error and you have done nothing but compound it with rudeness. You continue to misquote and misinterpret what I have said.

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
I am at a loss to understand what you are trying to do.

Are you claiming the bullets you posted were invalid or are you standing behind them?

As I said, above, I have gone to the library here at the University of Washington and can find no support for the statements that involve metrics. They are contradicted in essentially every document I can find.

If the numbers are wrong then, it would seem to me, the arguments must be re-examined as they too may well be wrong.

I will apologize if I am incorrect. But you wrote on the previous page: "I never made such a claim" so I went back to the claim, copied it exactly, and dealt with each and every issue one at a time.

What is it that offends you? Being quoted? Having someone verify the numbers? Finding the numbers can not be substantiated? I am truly at a loss as to your angst.

DA Morgan
S
S
Originally Posted By: DA Morgan
What is it that offends you? Being quoted? Having someone verify the numbers? Finding the numbers can not be substantiated? I am truly at a loss as to your angst.

You didn't quote me. You re-quoted the forward of a book. The questions are meant to entice you to read said book. Read the book and find out what the author has to say about it. I gave you a great link to information on the book. If you can't verify the numbers, that's not my problem. I didn't write the book. I do agree with the author's conclusions. If the numbers in a study you cite are wrong is that your fault? Should I blame you for taking the author's word when he cites where he got his information? Do you double check all those climate studies you so hotly believe in?

My angst comes from your twisting what I say. You've done it from the first post on this board. Stop it. It?s childish and I?m guessing beneath your education level.

You want women to not put up with bad male behavior? I have constantly called you on yours as have other members here. I have tried to be nice and tried to engage you in conversation. Tell me why I should continue to tolerate an arrogant self-righteous ass.

For those who might be interested, The Myth of Male Power was written by Dr. Warren Farrell in 1993. Here is more from the forward:

As the only man ever elected three times to the Board of the National Organization for Women in New York City, Dr. Farrell has been listening to both sexes for a quarter of a century and is uniquely able to write in a way that both articulates men?s feelings and helps women feel more love for the men in their lives. As a man who has taought in numerous disciplines, he takes us throughout history, across cultures, and into our psyches today. He helps us understand:

• Why feminism helped us see that God could be a she but not that the devil could also be a she
  • Why the political parties are keeping women dependent in exchange for votes
  • Why conservatives, liberals, and feminists are all unconsciously undermining genuine equality
  • Why the government is becoming a substitute husband

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
If the book contains seemingly incorrect information ... such as the difference in life expectancy demonstrates ... then were is the value in the book?

If you recommended a book based on it having good solid information I'd be asking for the ISBN. If it was a good novel or such I'd not be looking facts. But if the book is being presented as a basis for gaining information it seems to me there should be some burden put on the author beyond making stuff up or doing poor research.

What is it I am missing?

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
If the book contains seemingly incorrect information ... such as the difference in life expectancy demonstrates ... then were is the value in the book?

If you recommended a book based on it having good solid information I'd be asking for the ISBN. If it was a good novel or such I'd not be looking facts. But if the book is being presented as a basis for gaining information it seems to me there should be some burden put on the author beyond making stuff up or doing poor research.

What is it you think I am missing?

DA Morgan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.