Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:42 PM GMT

The French space agency is to publish its archive of UFO sightings and other phenomena online, but will keep the names of those who reported them off the site to protect them from pestering by space fanatics.
Jacques Arnould, an official at the National Space Studies Center (CNES), said the French database of around 1,600 incidents would go live in late January or mid-February
He said the CNES had been collecting statements and documents for almost 30 years to archive and study them.
"Often they are made to the Gendarmerie, which provides an official witness statement ... and some come from airline pilots"
It consists of around 6,000 reports, many relating to the same incident, filed by the public and airline professionals. Their names would not be published to protect their privacy, Anould said.

Advances in technology over the past three decades had prompted the decision to put the archive online, he said, adding it would likely be available via the CNES website > www.cnes.fr <

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
The first Goverment in the world has finally started to publish its files on all its UFO sitings, (with pictures)

The French Goverment FINALLY published some400 out of the 10,000 files they have on record yesterday (March 22 '07)

Unfortunately the French site > http://www.cnes.fr <has gone down, being overwhelmed by the thousands of people trying to gain access.
Published in English and French by CNES, I expect we will have to wait for a couple of days before we can get access to view.

A couple of titbits here:-

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/...fc0&k=92544

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2387829.ece

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
A government moving in the direction of openness and sharing information with its citizens? Has hell frozen over?

Thanks Mike.

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/07mar/uf010125.gif

DA Morgan
M
M
Well said, DA Morgan, but I still do not believe in "little green men".

Mike Kremer, be that as it may, I would love to know the "truth" of Area51 and Roswell.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The truth of Area 51 is well known ... the US Government, seized upon the cranks and nutcases as a way to hide a legitimate black project.

Wouldn't surprise me if they started the disinformation campaign themselves.

But do agree with you with respect to so-called UFO sightings. One has to take as a given that any culture technologically sophisticated enough to get here could hide or expose itself at will. The nature of the sightings, alone, discredits them.

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
My Uncle (who is near death, which is probably why he told me) was in the army and...(my memory is a little fuzzy over it)...he was in some department monitoring air traffic and they came across a large plane sized object that was just hovering. They watched it for a while and then it started to move off. He said they tracked if for about two minutes and when they lost contact with it they estimated it was moving at thirty thousand miles an hour.

After filing their reports, he said, a load of 'black coats' came in and made them fill in lots of forms agreeing never to disclose what they had witnessed.

He is normally a very straight guy and he was really serious. He says he thought it was all rubbish until this happened.

He may have been pulling my leg, and without more details, I can't say.

What were they tracking it with? How far would the object have travelled in two minutes? Would this have moved it out of range far too quickly to continue tracking it upto 30K?

Maybe someone can wake me up and make me smell the coffee.

Blacknad.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Blacknad, for all we know, your uncle gave you a lucid and factual account. I think the reasonable approach is to assess the probabilities on the basis of what you consider to be the possibilities. There's a small but distinct gap between the highly improbable and the impossible.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
"thirty thousand miles an hour"

The earth's atmosphere is 100 miles thick.
The earth's circumference is 24,900 miles.
By the time they had watched it for a fraction of a second it would have been over the horizon.

Dismiss this as one of two things:

1. Very creative story telling.
2. Electronics being tested that were designed to give misinformation to radar.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.