Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19864 04/02/07 06:34 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
At least six people died in the Solomon Islands Monday after two earthquakes and a tsunami hit the western part of the island-chain nation, the country's chief spokesman said. Alfred Maesulia, the Solomon Islands' government spokesman, told CNN that six people were confirmed dead and "a lot of people" were missing, which he suggested may be in the range of 10 to 20 people. Maesulia said it would likely to a day or two before more accurate information is known about the deaths and damage in the scattered island villages. Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare said an 80-year-old woman and a small child were among the dead in Giso. It was fortunate that the tsumani hit during daylight hours when the early warning signs of receding tides were noticed, causing people to seek higher ground, Sogavare said. In the South Choiseul, waves 10 meters high swept through the Sasamunga village northeast of Gizo, destroying villages, food gardens and a hospital, the government's Web site reported. Health centers and schools in surrounding villages were also devastated, the government said. Source: Click Here . A watch was issued for some other parts of the Pacific, including New Zealand, the Philippines, American Samoa, Guam and Fiji. You Ok out there Wolfman?

DA Morgan
DA Morgan #19867 04/02/07 07:29 PM
W
W
The Tsunami Warning System must be working pretty well; we heard by word-of-mouth about the possibility of a hit 75 minutes before it was to arrive. When I saw how small the tremor was I wasn't concerned. But we live right on the water, and I kept a watchful eye on the Tide Level for a few hours. Our neighbors took off, however, and my little girl thought it would be Banda Acheh all over again.
An Engineer collegue of mine from the University of Maine lives in Western Samoa. He's always going off on how we don't have an extensive shelf around our Islands (There is a Trench less than 10 miles to the South where the Sea Floor plumnges down to 4,500 feet), and how conditions here would not create a Tsunamui effect. But then, Hilo doesn't have a shelf either.

Wolfman #19868 04/02/07 07:44 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
"How small the tremor?" You consider 7.0 small? You consider a 3 meter high wall of water (Solomon Islands) small?

Remind me never to go spearfish sharks with you. <g>

Glad you and the family are fine.

DA Morgan
DA Morgan #19871 04/02/07 08:38 PM
W
W
We get 10 surf here in December and June.

Actually, I didn't realize that the Solomons got hit that hard until I read your post. If I knew it was like that we'd have packed up the kids, the dog and the parrot, and gone a little higher up.

Wolfman #19872 04/02/07 10:02 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
The Solomons, from what I can find to read, got beaten up pretty badly.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/04/02/quake/index.html

And given that there is nothing to stop a wave between them and you except a flock of seagulls, yeah, you should have followed your neighbors when they packed up.

Don't want to be part of a video on YouBoob showing what happened to the stupid people. <g>

DA Morgan
DA Morgan #19875 04/03/07 08:30 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
It's been on the news quite a bit here of course. No evidence of tsunami reaching here as far as I know. There's been no comments of noticable waves even. Four NZers missing up there though. At least one dead, visiting his parents. Seems his family here shouted him a holiday. Bad luck. I'm always interested in Solomons. My father was through there in WWII.

By the way Wolfman I don't suppose rugby sevens is of interest in your end of Samoa?

Last edited by terrytnewzealand; 04/03/07 08:31 AM.
terrytnewzealand #19883 04/03/07 06:55 PM
W
W
We've had three "False Alarms" now since the Indonesian tsunami, and people are growing skeptical. The first one came at 5:00 AM, and got everybody out of bed, out of the house and up in the hills. We left in two trucks, loaded with car-less neighbors. We passed buses being loded up, it was a big "event".
Now people are jaded, "Here-we-go-again" Syndrome is setting in.

I always get a Living Room full of Fijians at my place whenever there's a major Rugby match. They love the Big Screen.

Wolfman #19891 04/04/07 05:53 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
So, Wolfman, you will be aware of Samoa's recent success. Good on them.

Last edited by terrytnewzealand; 04/04/07 05:53 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.