Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Do you really want to go to Heaven?

Reason I ask is according to all the religeous books I have read

Heaven is inhabited mostly by- Beggars, Monks, Hermits, and Apostles.
Which seems to be true.

Then again historical records seem to show that Hell- is inhabited mostly by-
Kings, Popes, Princes, Robbers, and Fornicators.

Now, do you still want to go to Heaven? smirk

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
You make a very good point, Mike. There would probably be some pretty bad guys in the other place, but maybe there wouldn't be so many selfrighteous, pontificating hypocrites.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
W
W
The hermits would leave everybody alone; the monks would spend all their time in prayer so you'd rarely see them; the beggars would finally have their reward and so wouldn't be bugging you anymore; and the apostles, having finished their mission, would all be off fishing together. All of which would give me plenty of time lounge around and practice flying.

Sounds fine to me.

w

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I can think of no place more horrible, more terrifying, more depressing, than the theocratic description of heaven.

An eternity of ... sounds like hell to me.

I have different plans.
I plan to return to the galaxy for recycling.
And to be resurrected in about 5.6 billion years.

Far better chance I'll get my wish than that anyone will go to heaven or hell.

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Well, DA, at least recycling is guaranteed!

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Good question Mike.

Just like we have Dante's 'Nine Circle of Hell', we also have Heaven's 'Squares' smile

In the inner square we have people like Mother Theresa, Joan of Arc, Lady Diana and the Queen Mother. We also have all the ex's. The ex-murderers, ex-prostitutes, ex-robbers, ex-Anthropic Global Warming deniers and ex-6 Day Creationists (there is much fun to be had watching the creationists as Jesus explains how evolution works and the 'ex-6 days' still miss the point and become 6 Day Evolutionists).

In the outer square (which is Heaven's equivalent of the Dark Side, inhabited by people who only just made it), we have certain Popes, Jimmy Swaggart and every other Tele-Evangelist, Michael Behe, most Catholics (only joking Wayne), George Bush, and our very own Uncle Al who simply out-argued God into letting him in.

And of course in the reception area we have Dan Morgan, who is arguing with the angelic receptionist. Dan's there to 'take God down' and bring him before the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity.
Fortunately for God, the court can only prosecute crimes committed on or after July 1, 2002, the date its founding treaty, the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, entered into force. Luckily for God, he did most of his smiting before 2002. Well actually it was nothing to do with luck as he obviously foresaw the ICC coming.

A God who could put this universe together and come up with mind blowing things like evolution, quantum madness, the human mind, and best of all - BREASTS, shouldn't find it too difficult to make heaven interesting.

Blacknad.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Blacknad, that's so good I had to save it.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Well put Blacknad. Though I suspect there will be a multitude of crimes against humanity committed in his name before I get there so the charge will be refiled.

"... and best of all ..."
I knew you should have been doing something else at 1:30 in the morning.

DA Morgan
W
W
I'm not one to say who gets past the bouncer at the door, but I must say: If I see any televangelists anywhere near the place, I'll be so surprised that I'll fall right off my cloud.

w

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Blacknad. Great take on it.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Well, DA, at least recycling is guaranteed!

I must say I am surprised at the range and number of semi-serious and thoughtful replies. I was'nt really expecting any.
You are so right Blacknad, wherever we go, what ever we do, its up to us to make our lives interesting.

That why I feel sorry for Daniel, since after he has waited for his 5.6+ billion years, there is no guarantee that he will be recycled as himself, or even know himself.
So, I've decided to help him return to this Forum as quick as possible, with very little waiting time involved.
I have found a Company which will let him/us take, preserve, and keep our own DNA, for just a few dollars.
Or, one could put a few drops of your own blood (White cells are pure DNA) into a glass vial, and have it stored in one of the seed banks that are being set up around the world, with your name engraved on it.
So much cheaper than whole body Cryogenic freezing, dont you think?
Lets assume we can all 'come back' after a thousand years., what are the possibilities that there will be Hell on an overcrowded Earth? Or a Utopia?
Or prehaps, us Scienceagogo'ists will be the only ones left around,....to meet again check below.

http://www.dna-worldwide.com/DNA-Storage-Kit-Store-your-genetic-makeup-forever?category=3

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"Lets assume we can all 'come back' after a thousand years..."

In the year 3007, after several disastrous episodes that threatened to bring life on Earth to an end, there is an era of utopia. The dominant life form is the 'neo-human', an engineered species physically, mentally and socially superior. They have true empathic insight owing to modified electromagnetic cerebral functions. They have moved Venus into a new orbit and have commenced terraforming. Earth-like planets orbiting stars within 500 lt yrs of Sol were discovered more than 900 years ago, and several intersteller coloniser missions were finally launched in the last decade before the Second World Famine. The vessels employ the 'Witten String-Harmonics Drive' first proposed by Joseph Witten, great grandson of the 'Father of GUT', Edward Witten, and are due to reach their destinations within the next few weeks.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Mike wrote:
"That why I feel sorry for Daniel, since after he has waited for his 5.6+ billion years, there is no guarantee that he will be recycled as himself, or even know himself."

What a boring thought ... to be a rerun of a billions of years old movie.

I thought it would be nice to be scattered through several stars, planets, perhaps a nebulae or two. Maybe a couple of quarks being inhaled by some living creature.

What I wrote was intended to be semi-humorous.

We don't really exist except as a constantly changing collection of leptons and bosons. I think a rearrangement might be rather lovely. <g>

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
DA:
"We don't really exist except as a constantly changing collection of leptons and bosons. I think a rearrangement might be rather lovely."

Why wait? I could name a few Trolls who might be happy to rearrange your bosons.<g>

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
So can I. <g>

DA Morgan
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur
"Lets assume we can all 'come back' after a thousand years..."

In the year 3007,........................ The dominant life form is the 'neo-human', an engineered species physically, mentally and socially superior. They have true empathic insight owing to modified electromagnetic cerebral functions.

Wow Redewenur,
You should take up SF writing, thats a great idea for storys!

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Thanks, Mike, that's a bit too generous, but I owe the style of thinking to Olaf Stapledon. I read his 'Last and First Men', 'Last Men in London', 'Odd John' and 'Starmaker' when I was 11 yrs old. I was so impressed that they've probably influenced me ever since!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.