Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
This is OUR opportunity to tell about our experiences with Revs and Religion--the good, the bad and whatever....
1. ask some serious questions;
2. bring to correction
3. offer some so bright ideas as to what can be done to make things better
4. invite clergy you know to get involved
5. any suggestions?

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
DAM comments:

1. You've never once discuss science at a science website.

What do you want to know?

2. You've never once posted a link to anything related to science.

Link? Check out http://www.brainmeta.com Way back, I was in on helping Dr.Shawn Mikula--an MD and PhD neurologist--launch the site. He quoted one of my sermons.

3. You've quoted books with no author that you have never actually read.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

4. You claim to be a reverend and do not have a Doctorate of Divinity

A DD is an honary degree. My degrees are from http://www.mta.ca (BA in psychology/philosophy) from the Atlantic School of Theology (M.Div), http://astheology.ns.ca/ and from Boston University (STM), http://www.bu.edu/sth/ where I did two years of postgraduate studies. (1954-1955)
Not an academic type, I served forty years in the pastorate--Labrador, New Brunswick, Montreal, Quebec., and Toronto, Ontario. Currently I am re-directed--don't like the word 'retired'--in Markham, just north of Toronto, and loving it. Getting ready for, the untimately earthly graduation, death. How about you? What is your excuse for living? smile

Interestingly, Martin Luther King graduated from BU, as a minister, the year, 1954, I arrived to do post grad studies.

5. You only survive on the charity of others
Don't we all?

6. You expect others to pay taxes to subsidize you

BUNK, like much of what you write about me.

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/04/07 04:32 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Revlgking. Just to start the ball rolling I would like to point out that many Christian preachers, eg.televangelists, lead very expensive lifestyles. One can't help but be a little cynical, especially when one remebers that the prophet of their religion was executed for opposing the major world power at the time yet within three centuries was adopted by that power to centralize control of its citizens.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand
Revlgking. Just to start the ball rolling I would like to point out that many Christian preachers, eg. televangelists, lead very expensive lifestyles. One can't help but be a little cynical, especially when one remembers that the prophet of their religion was executed for opposing the major world power at the time yet within three centuries was adopted by that power to centralize control of its citizens.

Hi Terry,

America seems to have the ability to breed a particular type of half Christian/half Capitalist. It goes against Christianity's fundamental teaching:

'Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor...'

Or,

'No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.'

These people have been amply warned, and their wilful ignorance brings Christianity into disrepute. I, for one, find their TV programs very uncomfortable to watch and unlike your cynicism I actually feel quite angry.

But there you see the dilemma:

I am warned not to judge others and yet I can't help judging these people. I am therefore a hypocrite in every sense of the word. Though I want to do the right thing, one way or another I don't manage it. I should be concerned with the planks in my own eye ? and I certainly have enough.

Saint Paul said, ?For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate?For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.?

So as hard as I want to be on Televangelists, I have to admit that they are subject to the same problems as I am, and many of them may actually think they are doing right.

I?m embarrassed that my church has a collection on a Sunday morning, even though they preface it by saying that if you are not a church member then you shouldn?t give.

I also don?t think we should retain any charitable status ? except where we are clearly servicing real charitable needs. Society?s taxes should not subsidize the church.

Having gone on a bit too long ranting against the church, I will redress the balance somewhat. It?s a general principle that the church?s failures are more apparent than its good works. I know very many Christians who sacrifice all they have to serve others. A small example of this kind of attitude to life ? a friend who turned down a promotion to Director because it would take too much time and energy away from volunteer work in his community. This was a clear rejection of success in the eyes of the world and a hefty salary increase, simply because he took Jesus? words at face value and his priority was other than material goods/gods.

Blacknad.

Last edited by Blacknad; 02/04/07 10:41 AM.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
THANKS FOR THE BALANCED COMMENTS ABOVE, Blacknad.
It is 8:45 AM, here in Toronto, -15 C degrees below freezing. That is almost 0 degrees F. It is not as bright, yet, as was yesterday. North Ontario is much, much colder. No global warming, yet. However, we did have a mild December and a very nice January, just enough cold and snow for the skiiers.
BTW, is anyone affected by what they call SAD--depression caused by winter's lack of light?

Posters, I would be interested in hearing how it is in your area.

Shortly I will be off to attend the service at
http://www.pathwayschurch.ca It is a new and, as yet small, congregation in Markham, which is a growing and affluent area just north of metro Toronto.

PATHWAYS is part of the United Church of Canada--very open-minded and very concered with helping make the community a better place for all classes, races and creeds. The UCC emphasizes DEEDS not Creeds. Agnostic and atheists welcome.

The UCC, with other churches, was one of the first churches to push for our national Health Care System. In 1965, I took part in several peaceful demonstrations urging the government to get on with it.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I think, to summarize, ...

revlgking = hyp?crite
revlgking = sp?nger
revlgking = tr?ll

I can think of n? l?wer f?rm ?f life than that ?f a self-ann?inted preacher claiming m?ral superi?rity.

DA Morgan
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
There, DAM! Feel better now that you've vented? Much better here--Don't you think?--than cluttering up information threads with too much bumf.

BTW, I wish I knew you as well as you think you know me. Maybe if we knew you better we could have a useful dialogue.

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/04/07 07:31 PM.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Anytime you want a useful dialogue do us the courtesy of discussing science like everyone else here does.

Having done a bit of research I actually know quite a bit about you. But my initial impression was formed by you, and you alone, posting vague valueless fluff. I'll give no quarter to the self-anointed, the hypocritical, or the troll.

If you were to cease being so enamored of yourself you might discover that this science forum existed before you got here and will exist long after you are gone.

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Posters, I would be interested in hearing how it is in your area.

Well, not too bad here in the centre of England. Just had the warmest January for 90 years. Very mild weather at the moment.

Starting to experience some of the benefits of Global Warming smile

Blacknad.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Blacknad, in 1972, the King family, including my wife, our teenage daughter and son, and Jean's mother did a six-week barter exchange with a minister in Ashford, Kent. It was a wonderful experience. We also got to visit mainland Europe and Scotland. Quite an adventure back to the land of our ancestors.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Revlgking wrote:

"Posters, I would be interested in hearing how it is in your area."

Of course our weather has been very mild. It's actually mid-summer.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Well now we are using the NOT-QUITE forum as it was intended.

To discuss local weather and vacations.

Gag me with a spoon.

Perhaps I should now use it to post pictures of my boat. Certainly as on-topic as the rest of this.

DA Morgan
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Offer your vitriolic brickbats here, DAM, if you wish. This is the place for them. Keep the other topics free from bile, please. It is not good for your health.

BRICKBATS AND BOUQUETS TO RELIGIONS, REVS, PHILOSOPHIES AND ARTS.
If I could change the title of this thread, this is the one I would use.
BTW, read the first post in this topic, please. It explains that is not just a place for knocking religion, it is also a place for health-giving pats on the back.

So go ahead! Practice your obvious talent--If you have other ones, I will be glad to hear what they are.

You mentioned Sailing. Being a Newfoundlander, I would love to see your boat. I was born on a island
http://www.bellisland.net in the island province, and was raised in a family of boat--and house--builders. We built our own house, and many boats. Being the youngest five brothers--there were also three sisters---did not exclude me from helping. It was fun. laugh

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/05/07 08:35 PM.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
revlgking wrote:
" It is not good for your health."

How I adore condescension.

revlgking wrote:
"Being a Newfoundlander, I would love to see your boat."

If you think this fluff and nonsense is what Kate meant in her post you have a very different understanding of the purpose fulfilled by a science website.

Are you pathologically incapable of posting anything that requires an IQ over room temperature?

DA Morgan
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Are you pathologically incapable of posting anything that requires respect, and thought, and is filled mostly with insults? Just curious!!!

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
A review of my posts to everyone other than you will answer that question just as a review of your posting history demonstrates that my question was just rhetorical.

Try hypnotizing yourself into believing that it is possible to be more than a troll posting the mental equivalent of creme of wheat.

DA Morgan
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
As a matter of fact, I did review your posts; the ones to Tim and others. Have you ever wondered: Tim, why did you drop out? You originated this topic. What happened? Did we hurt your feelings. Or did you expect we would all automatically agree with you? Is it our fault? Or Yours? We would be interested in YOUR opinion.

BTW, that was before I registered. Check out EVIDENCE FOR GOD, January 17. Here is the evidence: #17711 - 01/17/07 04:02 PM

Many of your posts, even before I arrived, were filled with demeaning ridicule designed to hurt people. You even posed as a Rev. D.A. Morgan. Remember?
=================================================
BTW: You comment:
Quote:
Try hypnotizing yourself into believing that it is possible to be more than a troll posting the mental equivalent of creme of wheat.
Translation, please, I have no idea what you are trying to say. More invidious inventions?

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/06/07 10:10 PM.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
By the way, This could turn out to be an interesting experiment in
PNEUMATOLOGY--which I like to call the science of understanding who we REALLY are, spiritually.

To put it in question form: Who ARE we human beings, REALLY?

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
revlgking wrote:
"PNEUMATOLOGY--which I like to call the science of understanding who we REALLY are, spiritually."

Or what those with degrees in science call flatulent hocus-pocus.

DA Morgan
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
At last, there is a pneumatological improvement: You are attacking my IDEAS, not me.

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/07/07 04:50 AM.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.