Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19120 03/19/07 08:13 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi there,

Should we build a stargate, or forget it?

Cheers,
MM

P.S.: Please forget my last thread:

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5754&page=25

I deleted your picture and link as the link clearly pointed to a website that has zero science value and is promoting a political agenda complete with campaign advertising for a candidate for president.

If you want to post here, and we'd certainly like to have you as part of our community, you need to separate science from American politics.

Thank you.

Last edited by DA Morgan; 03/19/07 10:44 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
I wish you hadn’t done that. You cannot deny any revolutionary technological innovation, say a realized stargate, would find profound relations with the politics. The clearest example, is the nuclear crisis of Iran, the country where I live in it.
Anyway, you’re the boss & you can do anything you want, but I intended to launch a discussion on the social ramifications of this technology, otherwise other visitors (not me) could send their comments on my newest paper, published by the American Institute of Physics (AIP):

http://proceedings.aip.org/vsearch/servl...1&chapter=0

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
My deletion had nothing to do with stargates or any other pseudoscience. It had to do with promoting a specific candidate for the Presidency of the United States.

Stick to science and you such as you'll be fine.

Personally I think this thread belongs under NOT QUITE as it is a long way from anything more serious than a movie plot.

DA Morgan
M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
It had to do with promoting a specific candidate for the Presidency of the United States.

I don’t know what you’re talking about; anyhow, forget it.

Quote:
it is a long way from anything more serious than a movie plot.

I wonder what would be your judgment, if someday, when – believe it or not - is not far at all, it’d get serious, indeed, terribly serious!

Good night,

P.S.: If you’d not delete again, I put this article herein:

http://www.starstreamresearch.com/mansouryar.htm

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Mansouryar wrote:
"I wonder what would be your judgment, if someday, when ? believe it or not - is not far at all, it?d get serious, indeed, terribly serious."

When there is any science supporting it I will get interested. Right now it belongs with flux converters, dilithium crystals, UFOs, and invisible purple rhinoceroses.

DA Morgan
W
W
Really, Dan, what do you have against invisible purple rhinoceroses? To put them in the same category as this is a serious insult to them.

Invisible Purple Rhino for President, 2008!!!!!

w

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
My humblest apology.

Go purple go.

Our campaign slogan ... "bigger than Barney and I don't dance around the issues."

DA Morgan
W
W
Welcome, MM, it's nice to have somebody from your part of the World here.
As far as a Working Stargate goes, I can't see how we could deal with it. Somehow, someway, we'd foul things up and end up becoming slaves to the Goa'uld, or somebody. And while we might get along alright with the Tokra, and maybe the Nox, I doubt very much that Thor and the rest of the Asgard would look as fondly on us as they do in the TV Series.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Since we're into the subject with good humoured camaraderie, why not go on, DA's Purple Rhino having evidently found a mate and nature taken its course.

I very much hope that MM acquires the wherewithal and manages to get a stargate built. Actually, there should be one outside every pub so we wouldn't have to feel our way home. Anyway, how do you get the destination sorted out? I mean, there'd be no point in staggering out of the pub, into the blessed stargate, and finding yourself in the barmaid's bedroom, right? Oh? well OK, not a good example...

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The stargate is preposterous by any known physics.

The first rule you would need to violate is that you would need to move things faster than the speed of light. We believe that to be impossible.

And not just simple things such as the polarization of a photon or the spin of an electron.

Rather you are talking about transporting complex systems containing massive amounts of chaos and near infinite amounts of quantum effects happening with virtual particles between closely space molecules.

It is laughable television shtick and will be until long after all of us are dust. MM needs to get back in touch with reality.

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Oh, come on DA, where's your sense of humour?

"Rather you are talking about transporting complex systems containing massive amounts of chaos and near infinite amounts of quantum effects happening with virtual particles between closely space molecules."

You could try your president's brain, you should have no trouble with that <g>

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I'll write a check to $1,000 USD to the first person that, having proven my President has a brain, can then transports it across the universe.

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"I hold that truth to be self-evident" - I can't recall who said that. Now It's down to MM to do his bit, then it's $500 a piece.

(I'm no saint, I'll say anything for $500 dollars)

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Ah! now you're getting into nanotechnology.

W
W
OK, so MM needs a Reality Check, fair enough. BUT. What if the Goa'uld were to mount an attack on Earth RIGHT NOW? Here we are without a single GRAM of Niquadria to protect ourselves. We'd look pretty damn silly, now wouldn't we, DA?

Superstar
Superstar
Well, Wolfman, I think it would be a way of getting rid of our excess population, if the Goa'uld were to come in. It would solve one problem at least.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Ever notice that no one ever sees the females?

Perhaps we'd like to meet them. ;-)

DA Morgan
M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
When there is any science supporting it I will get interested.

Ask Kip S. Thorne on the supporter science.

Quote:
Right now it belongs with flux converters, dilithium crystals, UFOs, and invisible purple rhinoceroses.

Bring up a reason if you can, or don&#8217;t make joke.

Quote:
Somehow, someway, we'd foul things up

Why? More details please & tell your possible counter-strategies too.

Quote:
The stargate is preposterous by any known physics.

Why Mr. Einstein? Tell a reason.

Quote:
We believe that to be impossible.

Why dear believer? Why?

Quote:
Rather you are talking about transporting complex systems containing massive amounts of chaos and near infinite amounts of quantum effects happening with virtual particles between closely space molecules.

I&#8217;m talking about reducing the distance by traversable wormholes, but maybe you don&#8217;t understand English.

Quote:
will be until long after all of us are dust.

Why so far? Don&#8217;t talk based on your feeling, speak logically.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/W/wormhole.html

"Interest in so-called traversable wormholes gathered pace following the publication of a 1987 paper by Michael Morris, Kip Thorne, and Uri Yertsever (MTY) at the California Institute of Technology. This paper stemmed from an inquiry to Thorne by Carl Sagan who was mulling over a way of conveying the heroine in his novel Contact across interstellar distances at trans-light speed. Thorne gave the problem to his Ph.D. students, Michael Morris and Uri Yertsever, who realized that such a journey might be possible if a wormhole could be held open long enough for a spacecraft (or any other object) to pass through. MTY concluded that to keep a wormhole open would require matter with a negative energy density and a large negative pressure ? larger in magnitude than the energy density. Such hypothetical matter is called exotic matter.
________

"We aren't saying you can't build a wormhole. But the ones you would like to build - the predictable ones where you can say Mr Spock will land in New York at 2pm on this day - those look like they will fall apart," Dr Hsu said.

- Stephen Hsu, University of Oregon, May 2005

Well, I'm afraid it's the problem that I mentioned earlier. When I step out of the pub and into the wormhole, I want it to take me home, not into the barmaid's bedroom (as it were).

And, of course, there's that little detail about getting hold of some of that hypothetical exotic matter.

MM, do you have any idea of the magnitude of the total energy required to perform a traversal of this hypothetical wormhole?

M
OP Offline
M
1. The Hsu's arguments are not general.
2. The equations are strict & I can take one from any desired pub to any desired hell.

MM, do you have any idea of the magnitude of the total energy required to perform a traversal of this hypothetical wormhole?

Yes, I've generalized Peter Kuhfittig's efforts; for example, see this abstract:

P. K. F. Kuhfittig, "Can a wormhole supported by only small amounts of exotic matter really be traversable?", Phys. Rev. D68, 067502 (2003).
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0401048

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.