Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
An extended warming period, resulting from an El Nino weather event in the Pacific Ocean, will probably push up global temperatures, experts forecast. They say there is a 60% chance that the average surface temperature will match or exceed the current record from 1998. The scientists also revealed that 2006 saw the highest average temperature in the UK since records began in 1914. The global surface temperature is projected to be 0.54C (0.97F) above the long-term average of 14C (57F), beating the current record of 0.52C (0.94F), which was set in 1998. For the full article: Click Here

DA Morgan
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
During el Ninos we get cooler summers and drought conditions here. A few months ago local scientists were saying this summer would be normal but to me it already seemed as if an el Nino had set in: cool southwest winds and much lower than average rainfall. Definitely well established now. Less than half av. rainfall for Nov. and Dec. and Dec. much cooler than average. You guys up north are going to cop it over the next year I think.

G'day terrytnewzealand,

I wrote a post here but it was lost when I tried to submit it. Sigh. I'm only on this site for one day but thought I'd read a couple of threads. So, some quick points.

El Ninos are well understood although the reasons for their appearance is not well understood.

There was an El Nino until a few months ago. Over the past few months the phenominum degraded rapidly. For the last two or three months La Nina has been set up. The probability of a La Nina event is now very high. While it might not come about the El Nino cannot come back for a while simply because of the physics of the movement of the large body of cold water across the Pacific.

La Nina, typically causes much lower world temperatures, is very good for Australia and much of Asia but not at all good for the Western US, where it causes droughts and an increase in tornados in the mid west.

La Nina's have a much longer term influence over much of the world than El Nino. If the La Nino event does occur then it is likely that the next northern hemisphere winter is going to be a cold one. The whole prediction of a record year for 2007 goes out the window with a La Nina. What the Hadley centre does not mention in the BBC article is that there is a very big difference in worlds temperatures for 2005 and 2006 between the SAT and the satellite data. Me? I trust the satelite data much more than the SAT, where the calculation of averages are now being changed sometimes more than once in a single year in some parts of the world.

Unlike 1998, which was a very hot year whether you use Satellite, balloon or SAT data, 2005 and 2006 were far less hot according to the remaining balloon data and the satellite data than from the Surface Air Temperature Data.

So 2007? End of drought in Eastern Australia if La Nina locks in. A very good chance based on on what is currently happening of high autumn (fall) rainfall.

Predictions based on what El Nino or La Nina over more than a couple of months in advance are about as good as predicting whether it will rain six or seven days in the future. Next to worthless.

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
I'll be checking back in 2008

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.