Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18617 03/05/07 01:36 AM
T
Thinker Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hey everyone. I got into a diccussion with a close friend of mine. He put up the idea that planets are possibly fueling the Sun.

The Sun runs on hydrogen, and the Sun is hydrogen. Looking at that, the question came. Where does the Sun get its fuel? My friend says that the planets are fueling it. Running into it, colliding with other objects in space, meteors, comets, etc. I'd also heard a rumor that the sun was getting bigger, with a possiblity of "eating" other planets. More evidence. What do you guys thing of this?

Thinker #18622 03/05/07 03:35 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
The Sun is mostly hydrogen. It is a LOT of hydrogen. It's so much hydrogen that it will take millions and probably billions of years to use all of it. It doesn't need any energy from the planets, which altogether constitute far less mass than the sun by itself.

Eventually, when the sun begins to run out of fuel, it is speculated that it will grow in size so much that its radius will be larger than the orbit of many of the planets.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The amount of hydrogen in all of the planets combined is such a small fraction of the mass of the sun that they are of no consequence. And given their mass is not decreasing by any measurable fraction one can absolutely rule out the possibility.

Your friend sounds like someone that would benefit from starting to read Astronomy Magazine or Scientific American. You might suggest it to them.

DA Morgan
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Thinker, here's some concise info to be getting on with:

'The Life Cycle of a Sun-Like Star'
http://wind.caspercollege.edu/~marquard/astronomy/sunlike.htm

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Thinker #18677 03/07/07 03:55 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Thinker
Hey everyone. I got into a diccussion with a close friend of mine. He put up the idea that planets are possibly fueling the Sun.

The Sun runs on hydrogen,... Looking at that, the question came. Where does the Sun get its fuel? My friend says that the planets are fueling it. Running into it, colliding with other objects in space, meteors, comets, etc. I'd also heard a rumor that the sun was getting bigger, with a possiblity of "eating" other planets.

No I don't think the Sun is getting bigger....not yet, not for another 5 million years, anyway.
If anything the Sun is getting smaller....since it is burning up Helium at a prodigeous rate.
Temperatures and densities in the center of the Sun are so great that hydrogen nuclei fuse into helium nuclei. The creation of each helium nucleus requires four hydrogen nuclei.
One helium nucleus has 99.3% of the weight of four hydrogen nuclei. This excess of 0.7% of hydrogen mass compared with helium mass .....is converted into energy.
Using Einsteins equation E=mc'2
Then:-the Sun converts 600 million tons of hydrogen into 596 million tons of helium every second. This extra 4 million tons is converted into energy:
Therefore the Sun is losing 4 million Tons every second.
It has done, and will continue to do so until the Hydrogen runs out.

Redewenur posted a nice URL as to what happens next.

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Mike said "No I don't think the Sun is getting bigger....not yet, not for another 5 million years, anyway"

Don't panic, Thinker, he meant '5 billion'.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
A couple of quick corrections Mike.

The first that red caught ... that is billions with a "B." The second is that the sun is fusing hydrogen and creating helium. When the old girl moves to the helium cycle we'd best not be here.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.