Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
The BBC's David Willis travelled to the remote Alaskan island of Shishmaref, a community that is being destroyed by climate change. I was last here nearly three years ago to witness the effects of global warming on this community of nearly 600 people. For several decades the people of this barrier island have been fighting a losing battle with nature. Not only are the glaciers melting, causing sea levels to rise, but the frozen ground on which the village was built - also known as permafrost - is thawing, making the ground crumble like sand. Shishmaref is a community that is literally being swallowed by the sea. For the full article: Click Here . It always starts with people we don't know and don't care about. It never ends that way.

DA Morgan
W
W
In 1980 I spent a week in a remote village in the Northwest Territories, a place called Arctic Bay. The people there say that they have lived there for at least 1,000 years. It's going the same way as Shishmaref.

Off topic- The guy I was visiting and I were in kayaks looking for narwals when we heard a "thrumming" sound coming from below us, underwater. A long gray shape passed directly beneath us going like a bat out of hell. He said it was a Soviet submarine. They saw them all the time.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Then one may safely assume that it had been detected by US submarines and was beating a very hasty retreat.

They don't make noise unless they no longer care about being detected. Here are the pics from my close encounter in 2000 while heading north out of the Puget Sound on my boat.

http://www.psoug.org/sub1.jpg
http://www.psoug.org/sub2.jpg

You can get an idea of how close we were when you realize this was not taken with a telephoto. As close as you can get without being detained I imagine.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.