Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 116 of 120 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 119 120
Megastar
Megastar
The latest BREAKING NEWS about the story of mother earth, which I passed on to Samwik:

BREAKING NEWS about the GIANT IMPACTOR hypothesis--about the planet, Theia, or Thea.

from the NATIONAL POST, page A 8

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/13/...e-path-to-life/

Sam, are you already familiar with this theory? Sounds like what was going on on earth just prior to, or contemporary with, PANGEA. Hmmm!

And, have you heard of theanthropism? A new idea that I, as a theanthropist--one who for decades has believed that matter (soma) and spirit (pneuma) can, sparked by WILLpower, be at-one-ment, like Jesus taught--like.

===============================================

Last edited by Revlgking; 06/14/14 10:48 PM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

I tried following that link, but it said the page didn't exist.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
Rev:
I got the same page not found error. Can you check your link and see if it's working for you? Otherwise, could you find another link to it or something similar? Thanks.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
Rev:
I got the same page not found error. Can you check your link and see if it's working for you? Otherwise, could you find another link to it or something similar? Thanks.
Amaranth and all Friends at SAGG: Try the following and we'll see what happens.

==============

It worked for me, just now. If for you it fails, I have other options to suggest.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
Megastar
HERE IS WHAT WIKI SAYS ABOUT THE THEORY:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis

Megastar
Megastar
OBVIOUSLY, THE IMPACT HYPOTHESIS IS CONTROVERSIAL
=================================================
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/201...ons-origin.html

==========
Sounds very Biblical, and theological, eh!

G~Õ~D?, not a being with dimensions, but a Great-Omni-Dazzlement--the kind of light that Generates Organizes & Delivers: ALL that is- god-like & Good.

Last edited by Revlgking; 06/15/14 09:48 PM. Reason: Always helpful

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rev
Sounds like what was going on on earth just prior to, or contemporary with, PANGEA. Hmmm!

You've lost me there, Rev. Big impact, 4.5 billion years ago. Formation of Pangea, about 250 million years ago. You can't be suggesting they are "contemporary". I must have missed something.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Bill S, in response to your comment, I ONLY KNOW WHAT I LEARN BY READING WHAT I FIND ON THE INTERNET--inspired by similar words once uttered by the late Will Rogers. smile
Quote:
Pangaea
Pangaea was a super-continent that existed during the late Paleozoic and early Mesozoic eras, forming approximately 300 million years ago. It began to break apart around 100 million years after it formed. Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/441211/Pangea
======
As to what happened and when, I will leave it to the experts to help keep us informed as to what they know about the story of mother earth--before, during and after the "giant impact".

Have you or anyone else information to share?

Last edited by Revlgking; 06/16/14 04:41 AM. Reason: Always helpful

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Bill S, in response to your comment, I ONLY KNOW WHAT I LEARN BY READING WHAT I FIND ON THE INTERNET
As to what happened and when, I will leave it to the experts to help keep us informed as to what they know about the story of mother earth--before, during and after the "giant impact".

Have you or anyone else information to share?

Being that he led this conversation towards the usual..

Sounds very Biblical, and theological, eh!

G~Õ~D?, not a being with dimensions, but a Great-Omni-Dazzlement--the kind of light that Generates Organizes & Delivers: ALL that is- god-like & Good

All this was just a stab at sensationalism to get the attention of a few, to continue with the usual sales pitch... frown

Now if someone decides to continue with any conversation towards the relevance of the cosmic collision, it will no doubt give the rev. ample opportunity to direct the conversation back towards himself and his G~Õ~D.

Outside if that.. all he knows is what he reads on the internet! wink

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
You've lost me there, Rev. Big impact, 4.5 billion years ago. Formation of Pangea, about 250 million years ago. You can't be suggesting they are "contemporary". I must have missed something.
Did you miss this from the Britannica article? :
Quote:
During Earth’s long history, there probably have been several Pangea-like supercontinents. The oldest of these supercontinents is called Rodinia and was formed during Precambrian time some 1 billion years ago.

Another Pangea-like supercontinent, Pannotia, was assembled 600 million years ago, at the end of the Precambrian. Present-day plate motions are bringing the continents together once again. Africa has begun to collide with southern Europe, and the Australian plate is now colliding with Southeast Asia.

Within the next 50 million years, Africa and Australia will merge with Eurasia to form a supercontinent that approaches Pangean proportions. This episodic assembly of the world’s landmasses has been called the supercontinent cycle or Wegenerian cycle, in honour of Alfred Wegener.

Megastar
Megastar
FRIENDS AT SAGG, PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS ABOUT THE FIRST DAYS OF THIS THREAD.

They came to this thread from a DA Morgan, from Seattle Washington--I wonder if DAM is still in the land of the living--116 pages and over 8 million hits ago, shortly after Ms. Ellis, a teacher from Australia made her first thoughtful post.

Originally Posted By: DA Morgan
Well done Ellis. When speaking intelligently, thoughtfully, and precisely, there is never a reason to fear.

Even were I to disagree with you I would respect you.
NOTE: All the following quotes were made by DA Morgan.

Quote:
Whereas the self-annointed reverend has yet to do anything other than layer fuzzy thinking over vague nonsense.

Quote:
If he was correct, even if I were to agree with him, his lack of mental self-discipline would be unworthy of respect. Let me give you an example. Suppose someone writes:

Quote:
"We should stop torturing people because the invisible purple rhinoceros says so."

Quote:
I would agree with the concept of stopping torture. But the author, having justified it with an imbecility, would still be unworthy of respect...

Quote:
There is no god, provable, because were there one the universe would be no different than it is today.

Quote:
I have to howl at those who watch a tornado rip through town tearing down houses of the rich, the poor, good citizen and bad, businesses, schools, and churches with an equal lack of regard.

Quote:
If their invisible purple rhino actually existed ... just once ... he'd have left the church standing: He never, ever, does!
Later, in some follow-up comments between each quote, I will add my thoughts. Feel free to add yours. BTW, is there an easy way to go back and visit what was said in 2007--the first year of this thread?

Megastar
Megastar
FRIENDS AT SAGG, PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS ABOUT THE FIRST DAYS OF THIS THREAD.

They came to this thread from a DA Morgan, from Seattle Washington--I wonder if DAM is still in the land of the living--116 pages and over 8 million hits ago, shortly after Ms. Ellis, a teacher from Australia made her first thoughtful post.

[quote=DA Morgan]Well done Ellis. When speaking intelligently, thoughtfully, and precisely, there is never a reason to fear.

Even were I to disagree with you I would respect you.
NOTE: All the following quotes were made by DA Morgan.

Quote:
Whereas the self-annointed reverend has yet to do anything other than layer fuzzy thinking over vague nonsense.
Most churches, including, especially the UC of Canada http://www.united-church.ca/home do not license self-anointed ministers. It takes seven year or more to get ordained.

Quote:
If he was correct, even if I were to agree with him, his lack of mental self-discipline would be unworthy of respect. Let me give you an example. Suppose someone writes:
Of what value is this comment?
Quote:
"We should stop torturing people because the invisible purple rhinoceros says so."
Is this some form of secret code?
Quote:
I would agree with the concept of stopping torture. But the author, having justified it with an imbecility, would still be unworthy of respect...
Is calling names the respectful thing to do?
Quote:
There is no god, provable, because were there one the universe would be no different than it is today.
Thanks for your opinion.
Quote:
I have to howl at those who watch a tornado rip through town tearing down houses of the rich, the poor, good citizen and bad, businesses, schools, and churches with an equal lack of regard.
So, what else is new?
Quote:
If their invisible purple rhino actually existed ... just once ... he'd have left the church standing: He never, ever, does!
Sad! Isn't it?
BTW, is there an easy way to go back and visit what was said in 2007--the first year of this thread?

Megastar
Megastar
Bill S: With you in mind I made a point of searching the archives of the National Post, Canada. Here is what I found: The article by Joseph Brean, about the GIANT IMPACT HYPOTHESIS:

IMO, at this point life began to develop more efficiently than usual. This happened, because when our first ancestors evolved to the point of being conscious beings they received the Gift 0f Discernment--G~Õ~D, which enabled them use WILLpower to Generate, 0rganize and Deliver that which is Good, Optimistic and Delightful.

Megastar
Megastar
Just checking in to see ......

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/13/14 09:26 PM.

Megastar
Megastar
BTW, is there an easy way to go back and visit what was said in 2007--the first year of this thread?
...you could quote something, which back then seemed like a good conversation starter, and see where it goes now.

IMO, at this point life began to develop more efficiently than usual. This happened, because when our first ancestors evolved to the point of being conscious beings they received the Gift 0f Discernment--G~Õ~D, which enabled them use WILLpower to Generate, 0rganize and Deliver that which is Good, Optimistic and Delightful.
...I once got to see an address by Holmes Rolston III, professor emeritus (and father of Environmental Ethics ...iirc); and he spoke about the Three Big Bangs.

Of course the first, physical, big bang is obvious; but he added Life as the second big bang, and Consciousness as the third big bang. But I think he meant self-consciousness, though the dividing line is very blurry.

I've always interpreted that line about how 'in the beginning was the word' as referring to that third big bang. "The word" signifies the dawn of 'meaning' and 'value' ...and as well, as Rolston says, "that to value something, one must possess consciousness."

~ wink

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: samwik
... I've always interpreted that line about how 'in the beginning was the word' as referring to that third big bang. "The word" signifies the dawn of 'meaning' and 'value' ...and as well, as Rolston says, "that to value something, one must possess consciousness." ~ wink
Thanks, Samwik, I feel you see the 'LIGHT':

I like to think of G~O~D as the the Great Omni Dazzlement--that is, the flash of 'LIGHT' from within and around us--the light of knowledge and the desire to be willing and wise enough to use our knowledge morally and ethically.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/20/14 03:40 AM. Reason: Always helpful

Megastar
Megastar
I like to think of G~O~D ...

...me too; and I bet we all like to think of G~O~D.... wink

Environmental Ethics comprise one dimension of all that exists ...and of love, or omnipresence, or omni... however we define God.

While I appreciate the light and enlightenment, I also wonder about how....
There are the personal aspects as well as the generational aspects to consider.

At the generational level, what do you think about the way things are going for The Creation; do you think today's "business as usual" course will sustain this Creation, to which we awoke some millennia ago?

~ confused

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Megastar
Megastar
Sam, note that I have re-edited my most recent theological comment about the 'god-hypothesis'. Also, I do not make the claim that I am the only non-theist THEIST:
So here is my re-edit. I like to think of G~O~D, not as a 'god' in any way shape or form--that is, an idol with dimensions--or even a supernatural being, with dimensions--the kind which monotheists call 'God'. It is also the kind of 'God' totally ignored and/or totally rejected by most secularists, especially by militant atheists (like Richard Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchins, etc. ..._

BTW, I think of myself as being an a-theist--that is, one who respects the beliefs and opinions of sincere theists. However, at the same time I am calling for a new kind of THEISM, which I call UNITHEISM--see group on FaceBook.
So, would you still be able to say, "...me too; and I bet we all like to think of G~O~D.... ;)"
Sam, I am happy to say this: It is always a great pleasure to have a dialogue with posters like you. You have important things to say, important questions to ask, and you know how to be part of a friendly dialogue.

Now, about your questions. You ask me,
Quote:
1. At the generational level, what do you think about the way things are going for The Creation...?
Now I ask you, what do you mean by
Quote:
the generational level?
You also ask,
Quote:
2....Do you think today's "business as usual" course will sustain this Creation, to which we awoke some millennia ago?
Define, "business as usual". Have I confused you further? I hope not! laugh

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/20/14 07:20 PM. Reason: Always helpful

Megastar
Megastar
So, would you still be able to say, "...me too; and I bet we all like to think of G~O~D.... ;)"

I'd expect so; whatever their definition, most do. ...or did you mean "think of..." as only per your 'transcendent' definition?

Now, about your questions. You ask me,
Quote:
1. At the generational level, what do you think about the way things are going for The Creation...?
Now I ask you, what do you mean by
Quote:
the generational level?
You also ask,
Quote:
2....Do you think today's "business as usual" course will sustain this Creation, to which we awoke some millennia ago?
Define, "business as usual".

Religion fulfills various 'personal' needs for individuals, and religion is often critiqued from this perspective.
However....

From a 'generational' perspective, religion serves various functions, such as transmitting traditions and memories over generations of families, across the centuries. Before we had "strong and enduring" governments, corporations, or educational institutions, religions served the function of 'remembering' the culture, to a large extent, istm. And many of the functions, which are now provided by various social institutions--from dating/marriage services to universities to insurance, were in the past only structured through the religious hierarchies.

I'm not saying it was always an 'either/or' situation, but as populations and societies grow, I'd expect that many of the functions, which religions once fulfilled at the social level (generational level), have waxed and waned historically many times over. ...but I'll stop digging this hole any deeper now.
===

While religions help 'personally,' they also help the community; and it is these community functions and social functions that religions provide, which 'generational' was supposed to indicate. For instance, "Should religions take a moral stand on the treatment or plight of immigrants or indigenous peoples?" is a sort of 'generational' question one might ask.
===

"Business As Usual" is a political term, referring to economic choices and plans or strategies for the future. Choices might be between maximizing short-term profit or long-term sustainability, or finding a workable balance of the two goals ...to get pretty-good profit and pretty-good sustainability.

Especially in the global warming argument, and with the economic consequences caused by electric-power generation (and the fuels/methods used), the BAU phrase is a significant social signpost. Governments, religions, and tax policies often hinge on how the Zeitgeist (spirit of the age, or spirit of the time; literally, TimeGhost) feels about BAU.
===

...scenarios for "BAU" & biofuels/landuse ...compared with "no" fossil fuels....

"Impact on GHG levels over 70 years comparing two reference scenarios [business-as-usual (BAU) and fossil-free energy scenario (FFES)] with two land-use scenarios (enhanced biofuel and enhanced biofuel plus "buffer stock")"
===

...and "BAU" can be applied to any projected scenario,
such as utilization of 'nuclear' capacity.

...so, is there anything going on these days with Canada's indigenous peoples, or with industrial-scale 'power' generation ...as a 'generational' issue?

~ smile

Megastar
Megastar
[quote=Revlgking] So, would you still be able to say, "...me too; and I bet we all like to think of G~O~D.... ;)"
Sam, you add
Quote:
I'd expect so; whatever their definition, most do....or did you mean "think of..."

... as only per your 'transcendent' definition?
... Sam, what makes my definition of 'god' a 'transcendent' one?

I also ask: What do the common terms 'religion','gods','god' and 'God'--as used in English Bibles, theological writings and by virtually all monotheists, non-theists and atheists--mean to you?

May I also ask your definition of 'theology'? Have you heard the definition given by atheists, some of whom like to pretend they have wit: Theology is a "science" without a subject. HA!HA!HA!
Here I add,
Quote:
Later, I will come back with my response to your definitions.

===========Meanwhile, I will save the following comments, by you, just in case ...
Quote:
Religion fulfills various 'personal' needs for individuals, and religion is often critiqued from this perspective.

However....

From a 'generational' perspective, religion serves various functions, such as transmitting traditions and memories over generations of families, across the centuries.

Before we had "strong and enduring" governments, corporations, or educational institutions, religions served the function of 'remembering' the culture, to a large extent, istm.

And many of the functions, which are now provided by various social institutions--from dating/marriage services to universities to insurance, were in the past only structured through the religious hierarchies.

I'm not saying it was always an 'either/or' situation, but as populations and societies grow, I'd expect that many of the functions, which religions once fulfilled at the social level (generational level), have waxed and waned historically many times over. ... but I'll stop digging this hole any deeper now.
===

While religions help 'personally,' they also help the community; and it is these community functions and social functions that religions provide, which 'generational' was supposed to indicate. For instance, "Should religions take a moral stand on the treatment or plight of immigrants or indigenous peoples?" is a sort of 'generational' question one might ask.
===

BAU "Business As Usual" is a political term, referring to economic choices and plans or strategies for the future. Choices might be between maximizing short-term profit or long-term sustainability, or finding a workable balance of the two goals ...to get pretty-good profit and pretty-good sustainability.

Especially in the global warming argument, and with the economic consequences caused by electric-power generation (and the fuels/methods used).

The BAU phrase is a significant social signpost. Governments, religions, and tax policies often hinge on how the Zeitgeist (spirit of the age, or spirit of the time; literally, TimeGhost) feels about BAU.
===

Page 116 of 120 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.