Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Wayne wrote:

"a gradual diminishment of the magnetosphere down to nothing followed by mass extinctions"

Interestingly the earth's magnetic reversals don't coincide with any know extinction events. Things just seem to plod along. However a reversal may create havoc with electronics. Other people on SAGG would be able to comment on that with much more knowledge about the subject than I have.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Same here quantum. I can't see any way by which we could affect the earth's dynamo with our current technology.

DA Morgan
Q
Q
to Wayne:
i did delete some of dupes last night as i was wrighting but i didn't manage to delete them all becouse my comp had some problems and i couldn't open the page anymore.

also, i didn't say that we are weakening the poles (even we potentially might and probably will!)
Quote: "Magnetic field is weaken, everything on Earth is miserly but it didn't happen just like that, humans are to blaim!"
- the "humans are to blaim refered to "everything on Earth is miserly"
apologize for incorrectly put sentence.
still, don't you think that it could be affected, considering todays technology...

Q
Q
DA:
Same here quantum. I can't see any way by which we could affect the earth's dynamo with our current technology.

fine then. if you think it's not "bad" enough.

quantum - what technology do you think could affect the magnetoshpere of the earth?

W
W
quantum:
Cokosi collega? Nice to see somebody from your beautiful part of the World here at Science a Go Go. Have I got a story for you - When I was much younger, I was a pretty good Basketball player. One Saturday morning in late September of 1972 I was playing in a pick-up game in a park in Zadar. We had quite a few people watching us. All of a sudden there was a lot of yelling and mad rush away from the court, and, just like that, the players were the only ones left there. We thought something must be happening, so we ran after the crowd. Kresimir Cosic had just returned from the Munich Olympic Games and had arrived in the park. I've never seen anything like it.

Q
Q
Canuck: what technology do you think could affect the magnetoshpere of the earth?

i don't know. i had my assumptions that it could but i'm not familiar with strenght and possibilities of our technology, that's why i asked
Quote: still, don't you think that it could be affected, considering todays technology...

since everybody replied that it is impossible i wrote
Quote: fine then. if you think it's not "bad" enough.

to Wolfman:
cokosi? huh?
about Kresimir Cosic: well, i wouldn't know - wasn't born yet, but i'm glad that you enjoyed in my country wink
p.s. i'm from split.

M
Max Offline
M
What technology could affect the magnetic field?

AM, FM, UHF, VHF, Satellite microwaves. All affect the frequency of the field and could in fact, be weakening the field, and cause GW.

The weakening magnetic field is a huge problem. If the frequency changes...Our brains operate on the same frequency as the magnetic field. It could result in confusion, or your brain could completely shut down. This has been proven by placing people under a different frequency, and they couldn?t function enough to touch their nose.

Some astronomers say that the physical poles will shift. This is scheduled for 2012, when the sun crosses the galactic equator, and we will be aligned with a black hole. This falls on the same date that the Mayan calendar ends and the I Ching predicts the end of the earth?Dec. 21, 2012. All three predict rising sea levels, GW, floods, stronger storms, earthquakes... Just Google the date for more info.

Tesla discovered how to harness electricity from the magnetic field about 100 year ago. It?s been all covered up by the government. I would be willing to bet that ?The Hum? or ?the Taos Hum? is related to Tesla?s free energy towers. Do your own research, like I did, and think for yourself.

Last edited by Max; 03/24/07 03:21 PM.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Max wrote:
"AM, FM, UHF, VHF, Satellite microwaves. All affect the frequency of the field and could in fact, be weakening the field, and cause GW."

Here's a strong dose of reality:
"Earth?s iron core consists of a solid inner core about 2,400 kilometers in diameter and a fluid outer core about 7,000 kilometers in diameter. The inner core plays an important role in the geodynamo that generates Earth?s magnetic field, and an electromagnetic torque from the geodynamo is thought to drive the inner core to rotate relative to the mantle and crust."

Reference:
http://www.news.uiuc.edu/NEWS/05/0825earthcore.html

When you can show how satellite microwaves and AM radio affect the inner core let us know.

This is pure pseudoscience of no more value than an invisible purple rhinoceros dancing the Nutcracker while playing the violin. Except that it lacks the humor.

DA Morgan
Q
Q
i was thinking similar to what you wrote (except considering Earth's ending - there were too many predictions - lot to talk about, besides it opens a new subject).
thing is, i didn't look for it becouse i have to learn something about the magnetism first (how can i read about something i'm not familiar with) and i didn't have much time so i skiped it for another occasion (i have some exams to do...)

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Max
"This falls on the same date that the Mayan calendar ends and the I Ching predicts the end of the earth?Dec. 21, 2012"

Not a good idea to get into that stuff Max, science works much better than that twaddle.

Try this:
The Geodynamo
by Gary A Glatzmaier
Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences
University of California, Santa Cruz

http://www.es.ucsc.edu/~glatz/geodynamo.html

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Q
Q
HEY!!
i think i finally figure it out what Wolfman wanted to say!!!
Cokosi collega?
of course!!
Kako si kolega?
Dobro, hvala, a ti? I meni je drago da je netko s ovog foruma upoznat s mojim materinjim jezikom i da se cak trudi govoriti na njemu wink Znaci da vam je tamo ocito bilo lijepo!!

(c in cak, znaci and ocito should be written with č but i'm not sure if your comp supports it so i skiped it)

cheers to Wolfman - come again

M
Max Offline
M
These are hard scientific facts. The crossing of the galactic equator is fact. The date is a fact. Ask any astronomer. I wasn't the one to notice that all three predict the same date. Just stating the facts. You alarmists should be having a breakdown over this. Here's two more facts...

1. The magnetic poles are moving, much faster than normal.
2. The magnetic field has weakened by 10 percent since the 19th century.

Don't confuse the frequency of the field with its strength or movement.

Thanks for the links. Perhaps you would like to point out where your links say I'm wrong? No? I thought not. Keep studying. It shows that you're learning. Now learn this...the difference between frequency and strength. I doubt I could get the alarmists to understand anything, and I'm through with explaining the basics to people who refuse to listen.

Start studying "sporadic-E propagation" then we can move on from there. Hey, you might learn something.

You also need to learn the difference between "could" and "will". I know when the alarmists say that CO2 and humans "could" cause GW...your mind will interpret that as "will" cause GW. However, when I say "could" I mean "could".

GW science is hocus pocus.

Troll mods...nice!

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"Perhaps you would like to point out where your links say I'm wrong? No? I thought not. Keep studying. It shows that you're learning. Now learn this..."

(OK Mods, delete this if you like, but I think you should be weeding out the types who have nothing better to do than vent their spleen on the internet)

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Max requests:
"Ask any astronomer."

So I did. I called my daughter. She's worked at both of the Gemini telescopes (Chile and Hawaii) and what she said would not be fit to print so let me phrase this more delicately for you Max: YOU ARE WRONG!

Those who have been here longer than you recall that she is a professional astronomer and in January of this year she brought a dozen colleagues up to the house for dinner, discussion, and a snowball fight (they don't have a lot of those in Chile or Hawaii).

Anyone interested in her presentation as AAAS:
http://www.aapt.org/Events/WM2007/upload/WM07%20Abstracts.pdf
Search for Close Binaries of Herbig Ae/Be Stars
Maria J. Cordero1, S. Thomas2, N. van der Bliek3, B. Rodgers4, G. Doppmann4, A. Sweet5
1Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Chile, 2UC Santa Cruz, 3CTIO, Chile, 4Gemini South Observatory, Chile, 5Macalester College.

You've got to be careful throwing around baseless challenges Max. Not all of us are sitting on the couch drinking beer. <g>

DA Morgan
M
Max Offline
M
Still can't point out where I'm wrong? I know, personal insults are the norm for alarmists.

"but I think you should be weeding out the types who have nothing better to do than vent their spleen on the internet"

That would be you? Are you capable of having a conversation on an adult level? No? I thought not.

Troll Mod,
I very seriously doubt that your daughter said I was wrong about the crossing of the galactic equator. LOL! If she did...well, I don't feel a need to insult your daughter. If you even have a daughter.

This is real science here and I know it?s going right over your head. Maybe you should stick to computer science. LMK if you need help with that.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Max wrote:
"Still can't point out where I'm wrong?"

I don't paid to waste my time pointing out to people that gravity is the law either.

If you want an argument try a different URL.

Here what you get is ignored. One more shot like the last and YOYO.

DA Morgan
M
Max Offline
M
Shot like what? You guys are the ones taking cheap shots. Please, ignore my posts and let reasonable people reply. I didn't come here for troll games.

"I don't paid to waste my time pointing out to people that gravity is the law either."

We all know this. It's you job to ignore any true science and ridicule anyone who doesn't buy the GW hocus pocus. Yes, gravity is a law. LOL!

I know that your curiosity will win and you look into sporadic-E propagation. Next...Schuman resonances. Don't think that any of this is my theory. No, this is all coming from modern science. Keep up. Yes, there is much more to science than CO2 forced GW.

W
W
quantum:
You'll have to bear with me, what little Serbo-Croatian I picked up while I was passing through there was all phonetic. But people don't know what they're missing by not travelling to Split, Dubrovnic and Zadar. The Adriatic Coast is a truly beautiful place. The Statue of Grigor is really impressive. Toni Kukoc and Dino Rada are well known to fans of American Basketball.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"But people don't know what they're missing by not travelling to Split, Dubrovnic and Zadar. The Adriatic Coast is a truly beautiful place."

Very true. I spent some time in the south. Beautiful.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.