Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
W
So New Zealand, the entire Country of New Zealand, is a little more than 1/4 the size of Vancouver Island. Hmmm, I did not know that. But, it gives one some perspective. How can any conclusions be drawn from such an isolated and small sample?

Hey, DA. How small is New Zealand compared to Banff National Park? Maybe we could start a new thread, a "How Small is New Zealand" thread!

Megastar
Megastar
I can't believe that! I'd think Vancouver Island was about 1/10th the size of New Zealand. Where did you get your numbers for this?

~samwik

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Megastar
Megastar
DA, I think what you've quoted is the size of British Columbia, not Vancouver Island.
~samwik

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
You are indeed correct. The value should be:

# Length from North to South: 460 kilometres (286 miles) - almost the length of Ireland.

# Width from East to West: 50 - 80 kilometres (31 - 50 miles).

# Area: 31 284 square kilometres (12,076 square miles).

Source:
http://cvic.bc.ca/vancouver_island_size.htm

Which eloquently shows the value of citing resources. Had I done so in my original I could have found it again too see if they were wrong or my Cut/Paste in error.

Thank you for the correction. This seems so much more rational.

DA Morgan
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Wolfman suggested:

'Maybe we could start a new thread, a "How Small is New Zealand" thread!'

From an ancient Pears Cyclopedia: NZ (103740 sq. miles) is a liitle smaller than either Japan (143000 sq. miles) or Britain and Ireland (121000 sq. miles). Comparing geographical regions is very interesting. Japan and NZ especially so, similar geologically but ecologically there is one huge difference. When I lived in Oz a local was bragging about what a huge country it was. I'd just come back from West africa. I found that the whole of Australia could fit into the Sahara Desert with plenty of room to spare.

J
OP Offline
J
Morgan, I don't think you get it. By same they have the same attributes, I am saying that their climate is very similar. They are very close to each other. Each share the same neve. And when one glacier increases the other does. When one decreases the other does. Can you tell me what is wrong with the above comment?

It still stands of course, that according to the scientific research that you wanted to me to find, that the Franz-Joseph glacier has been increasing in size for the past quarter of a century, and was constantly decreasing in size for the 500 years before this, all of which was obviously not caused by human induced CO2 levels.

Nit-pick all you want. Character assassinate all you want. But these are the facts. The indisputable facts. The fact that you blatantly refuse to accept the research that goes against your way of thinking is a huge, huge, detriment to your character.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
JLowe wrote:
"By same they have the same attributes"

Both are mountains? Ok I agree.
Both are made of dirt? Ok I agree.
Both are on the same island? Ok I agree.
Both are constructed of silicates? Ok I agree.

"same attributes" is science? Since when?

JLowe wrote:
"all of which was obviously not caused by human induced CO2 levels"

"Obviously" Is that how you think science works? By declaring something to be obvious? Have you considered the obviousness of the sun moving around the earth?

I'm not nit-picking. You are the one that claims to have a Masters and be working toward a PhD. Would you consider, as acceptable, a thesis that used the word "obvious" as an argument?

DA Morgan
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Morgan, at last we can both conclude that New Zealands's Glaciers have increased in size despite global warming, which assumes that the amount of snow has increased and the temperature decreased around the associated area. Good. That's all I wanted to say.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
JLowe wrote:
"at last we can both conclude that New Zealands's Glaciers have increased in size"

Don't infer words or thoughts from what I wrote. I have seen no evidence that New Zealand's glaciers are increasing in size. In fact the evidence I see points to exactly the opposite conclusion.

Source:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1386h/nzealand/nzealand.html#observation

Take a good look at Figure 6.

Can understand this graph?

Now click on Figure 7.

Can analyze this figure?

The work published is the results of real research conducted by:
New Zealand Geological Survey, University of Canterbury, Private Bag, Christchurch, New Zealand.

Now go to:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1386h/nzealand/nztoc.html

Click on: "Earliest Maps"

Care to dispute it? Perhaps with something more than the anecdotal observations of a tour guide?

DA Morgan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.