Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
OP Offline
E

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
ExtraNONsense posted a link.

To an editorial.

Apparently the personal opinions of a political hack now substitute for serious science and the opinions of those with research expertise in the field.

Sad.

Likely he asks Paris Hilton for advise on manners and how to dress too.

DA Morgan
E
OP Offline
E
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
editorial
Most of the people can follow links in the "editorial" - this does not include our learned marxist dissenter, apparently

e smile s

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
extraNONsense ... can you read?

Lets start just under the black bar.

Line 1: Joseph Farah
Line 2: Between the Lines
Line 3: WorldNetDaily Exclusive Commentary

Don't know what dictionary you use to determine the meaning of words. But in the dictionary I use Commentary means Editorial Opinion.

And politically I'm as close to being a Marxist as Attila the Hun was to being a humanitarian. Funny thing ... I don't recall seeing you in Vietnam. Where were you in 1968? Fighting a bad case of pimples?

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
tdcanam said:
CO2 is natural. The ammount being pumped into the atmosphere is def. not natural.

depends on what you call natural. all of that co2 came from that atmosphere at one point. at that point the earth was 8 to 15 deg c warmer than it is now. then an ice age came and the plants that had that co2 in them was not able to be broken down by natural processes due to the things that broke down trees being frozen and they became buried but glaceral deposits and erosion bourn down on top of them by the ice and water. after a while the pressure started building causing the liquids to seperated leaving gas and coal, the gas being liquid follow the path liquids do and ended up in crude oil and natural gas fields. the coal remained where they were and eventuall were mined.

all we are doing is reversing what the glacers did. if you call that unnatural, then yes, its not natural. if humans did not do it, eventually it would be susumed by gravity into the magna and returned to the atmosphere by volcanos.

DA Morgan, extrasense, cant you guys just discuss the topic instead of flaming each other.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"depends on what you call natural."

And Bill Clinton said "depends on what your definition of is is."

Knock off the lawyer-talk we all know precisely what tdcanam meant unless, for you, English is a third language.

We are pumping CO2 into the atmosphere at a higher rate than would occur were we not doing so. No doubt as the tsunami approaches you will be seen standing on the shore and pointing to a marker proclaiming ... you see the tide is down ... not up.

A load of rubbish you should be ashamed of.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
DA Morgan wrote:
Knock off the lawyer-talk we all know precisely what tdcanam meant unless, for you, English is a third language....

i know what he intended to say, but the thing is, from what point of view. from his point of view this is unnatural. but from the earths, its not really unnatural, only a little faster than mother nature intended.

...We are pumping CO2 into the atmosphere at a higher rate than would occur were we not doing so...

yes. but that does not mean it would not eventually all get there anyway. that is what i meant. its natural, but we are accelerating it. if you want to call the acceleration unnatural, then by all mean, lable the human race as an unnatural thing. if that makes you feel better, just remember your one of the unnatural things too.

..No doubt as the tsunami approaches you will be seen standing on the shore and pointing to a marker proclaiming ... you see the tide is down ... not up....

if there were no where to run, or i had realised that the island i was on would be destroyed by a volcano before the tsunami reached me, id set there and enjoy the view while it lasted. other wise id be too busy getting out of the way of the water.

there was a book a friend showed me once. a meteor had hit the ocean and all life above the ameba was about to be extingushed with the possiblity of any human surviving at zero (dont ask me, it was the premish of the book), and it detail the last few minutes of ppl's life. one, a surfer, got on his board and went on the ride of a life. i like to think i would be doing the same.

on the other hand if there was any chance that i could survive, id not bother to look at the marker. who would care if it what it indicated few minutes at a time. i might be taking bets on when it pass the lowest point or when it was covered.

you worry that in 100 years the ice age will end and all the animals that evolved during it will have to reevolve, (i know that is not the way you put it, but that it the reality of it) and you choise to put the entire blame on humanity. specificly you choise to blame other ppl. here is something i was once told. when you point the blame at president bush, look at your hand. one finger will be pointing at bush, and three will be pointing at you. bush is one man, he would never stand a chance if all ppl said, enough, lets stop this. nor would all the greedy ppl in power, if they saw that their money would not protect them from the non greedy ppl. unfortuantely, there are not enough non greedy ppl in the world, and your post indicates that despite the public image you wish to project, your not there yourself.

the reality is, while you are worry about the tsunami that is rushing at us, you totally refuse to see the fact that there is a volcano behind us, and the ground has already began to fall. sure ill watch the tsunami, because it will not reach us before the lava will.

...A load of rubbish you should be ashamed of...

why should i be a shame of the truth.

there is a saying i saw else where. "if foolish to argue the truth, but is dangerous not to state it." ive stated it. youve argued it.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"i know what he intended to say, but the thing is, from what point of view. from his point of view this is unnatural. but from the earths, its not really unnatural, only a little faster than"

What planet do you live on? And what source of information supports this rubbishing of facts?

If pumping petroleum out of the ground and mining coal are natural processes please enlighten us all. If then burning them to power motor vehicles and produce electrcity is a natural processes please share with us your divine wisdom.

"Only a little faster"? As I said ... what planet do you live on? Not the same one I do.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
the planet i live on is earth's reality.

its plate techtonics.

if we dont release it back in to the atmosphere, it will eventually reach the lvl of magna. at which point it will get blasted back to the atmosphere by lava an valcanos. yes, from your point of view mankind is completely unnatural. but from the view point of the earth (dont drop that rubbish about the earth not seeing or thinging, of course it does not, but neither does water and it always finds its own lvl), it is all part of a cycle. most of the time unless glacers and the occasional bit of erosion manages to bury a forest, the carbon is released back into the atmosphere by the working of virus, bateria, and others common bugs. when it is buried, that carbon will continues its down ward trip until it reaches the magna. in that case it will mix with other elements and being the ligher, will be at the forefront when the magna heads for the surface. most of the carbon that is pulled out of the atmosphere is done so by the ocean, and deposited on the sea bed, and is sussumed back into the magna there.

there earth is very big on recyling things, including co2.

were just creating a shortcut to the carbon but bringing it up before it can be susummed by the presure of the planet.

the thing is, ppl like you want to say that nothing that happen more than 200 years ago matter. or that nothing that happen before man learn to use tools is importain. the reality of the planet is that 200 ears is hardly mark of a letter on a single line on a single page of the earths book. mankind had barely earned a single letter in earths history. its rather difficult to understand how ppl can have such short site as to refuse to see the earths view point when we start talking about things that are covering the entire earth.

before you start claiming how much damage were doing, you really ought to open your eyes and see more then your own fingers. i have trouble discussing things with someone that claims that geologist and volcannoligist (or what every they are called, im too tire to remember so go ahead and ignore every thing and jump on me for this) are not real scientist.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"if we dont release it back in to the atmosphere, it will eventually reach the lvl of magna"

Well duh!

Apparently you live in a place where it impossible to chart change versus time.

Eventually is a valid statement that has absolutely no correspondence with our current pump it, mine it, consume it as fast as you can reality.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
well duh!

appearantly what ever rock youve been hiding under does not give you any perspective on the size of the planet and the size of the atmosphere. nor does it allow you memory of what was written before. you claimed it was unnatural for that co2 to be released into the atmosphere and now your bashing me because i said it was being return more quickly (something you failed to quote) than otherwise but still being return.

next time, before you post, you might want to go back and read your own post to refresh your memory of where you stand on a point. its rather hard to argue with someone that turns around so often.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I am quite well aware of both the size of the planet, the size of the atmosphere, and far more importantly the size of the oceans.

But then I also go to the library here at the university and read actual science written by actual scientists in peer reviewed journals. Not the politically inspired rubbish in the popular press.

We are actually the primary cause. Really. We are. I know you find this amazing but it is the fact. And it is fact proven by study after study after study.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

DA Morgan
E
OP Offline
E
Quote:
peer reviewed journals
The peer review is stinky fraud, we know that much

e laugh s

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
I am quite well aware of both the size of the planet, the size of the atmosphere, and far more importantly the size of the oceans.

But then I also go to the library here at the university and read actual science written by actual scientists in peer reviewed journals. Not the politically inspired rubbish in the popular press.

We are actually the primary cause. Really. We are. I know you find this amazing but it is the fact. And it is fact proven by study after study after study.
yes its been proven in study after study by scientist that are ignoreing the long term (billions of years, not decades) and are paid for by ppl wanting to prove that man is the only cause of the problem.

that is why there are also just as many studies that say that man is not the primary cause, or that there is a cooling trend rather than a warming trend, or that there is no trend at all. those studies can prove what every the scientist wish them to prove, just like polls. as far as what they popular press has to say, i could not tell you, ive not seen any articles on it for decades, not since it was proven that they had no clue what they were saying. i might not live in a libray, but i do have access to a library, its called the internet, and its impossible for school officials to determined what goes into it so as to not rock their ideas.

if you were actually aware of the full size of the atmosphere and the oceans, you would be aware that the total amount of carbon pumped out by humans in the last 500 years (that mean including pre industrial age) is insignificant compair to what a single super volcano can do in four days. what we have done with sulpher is trivial compare to a normal volcano can possible do (mount st helen really was not that large), let alone what a super (or caldera) volcano can do in mare hours. yet these do not destroy the earth, like your average scare monger warming trend advocate would tell you

Quote:
Originally posted by extrasense:
The peer review is stinky fraud, we know that much
Says the man who reads and quotes World Net Daily! :p

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
you want a solution to the increase in co2, how about this one. cut down trees and bury them deep. that takes the co2 out of the atmosphere and insures that there will be coal in the future.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The reason extrasense doesn't like peer reivew is that peer reviewers have rejected his physics papers containing K-12 level math. Sour grapes makes WHINE not WINE.

dehammer thinks cutting down trees and buying them will remove CO2 from the oceans. Wow! Can I get some of what you've been smoking?

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
i said atmosphere, not ocean.

the ocean has its own way of removing the carbon, which its been using for billions of years, reduce some of whats in the atmosphere and we would slow the amount the that the ocean can absorb over time. currently a tree removed carbon, then releases it when it is burned, rots, or otherwise is destroyed. if the trees are buried instead of burned or allowed to rot, that would take out that carbon. then new trees could be replanted in the same spot.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The atmosphere is nearly irrelevant compared with what we've done to the oceans.

Try to keep your concentration here. There is enough CO2 in the oceans due to our activities that the acidification is measurable and inhibiting the ability of molluscs and corals to grow.

Einstein said:
"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler"
It is still good advise.

This is not about the atmosphere. This is not about just the oceans either. It is about the entire ecosystem.

And it is being rubbished while you play political-correctness games.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
the chemicals in the ocean will take care of them selfs. the more carbon there is there now, eventually there will be more carbonate material. but in the short term some things will be damage.

what are political correctness games. i have not the foggiest what they are. at the same time i am very aware that there was a time a mere few million years ago that the co2 lvls in both the atmosphere and ocean were much higher than they are now. how can you claim that what has worked for the planet in the past will not work for it now.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.