Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G'day Dan,

No thank you but thanks for the invitation. You posted a news article. I've commented on the news article and even went to the trouble of at least finding the NASA web page that provided detail of the research which was the topic of the news article. Post some research and I will do likewise.

The two lakes that collapsed into the North Atlantic were truly immense. The barrier that held it back was up to 2,000 metres high and the lakes covered a much larger area than Greenland. That and Greenland does not seem to be lossing all that much land ice and there really is no comparison. It's not a topic that greatly interests me but feel free to continue with your own comments.

There is also a question of the relevance of major fresh water melts at the end of glaciations and the fact that they do not seem to stop the ocean conveyor system of heat transfer. If they did, then there would be a mechanism that would be self limiting in the world flipping to an interglacial period. It would warm up, the ice would melt into the North Atlantic. The conveyor would be disrupted, returning a very large area of the Northern Hemisphere to a much colder condition and, hey presto, no interglacial period.

Thus far, all of your news articles in relation to Arctic ice coverage have included the detal that overall the loss of locked ice is small or perhaps non existent. So just how much sea ice melts during a particular summer (and the one just gone was nothing like the severity of the previous one) does not contribute to the addition of extra water into the system. If there is research that contradicts this, feel free to cite it or provide a link to it. Please note I'll happily ignore further news articles.

This is all getting rather stale. You post a thread with a news article. Someone, often myself responds to it. You then rubbish the opinions of anyone that does respond to it, claim that no research is ever quoted to back the counter position, even though the whole thing was not based on research in the first place but rather a news article, and it degenerates into a thread that does not discuss the science of climate or any particular aspect of it. I'd rather not perpetuate this system.

Frankly, I don't have the time to do this over and over. But put forward some science or a considered argument or even postulate a point of view and as long as you agree to stick to the topic, I'll happily participate, provide citations and the like.

Regards

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
RicS wrote:
"No thank you but thanks for the invitation."

Why not? Afraid of what I know to be true? That we are well on our way to repeating history?

Buck up. Show some courage. Hit google. Post the results.

What do you mean you don't have time to do it over and over ... you've yet to do it once.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by RicS:
There is an explanation for the grass chewing woolly mammoth and the sudden extreme freezing that there does seem to be evidence for during the instability going into a reglaciation.
perhaps one of you could help me on this. wasn't the wooly mammoth frozen at about the same time as a super volcano eruption in north america. the distance would be too far for the ash and stuff to reach, but the sulpher dioxide could have been thick enough when it reach siberia to have caused a major snowstorm in late spring, the time i believe the mammoth was frozen. All it would have required was for the mammoth to have been in a simi sheltered gully or valley, when a large amount of snow fell on him to choke him quick enough to keep the flower or grass he was eating to not be swallowed, and a wet spring thinned coat would have transfered the body heat away quick enough to stop the stomack acid before it could destroy the stomack content.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
G'day dehammer,

The woolly mammoth in the New York Museum isn't the only one that was found like that by the way.

It could have had a heart attack I suppose. But the point about how it was found was that it did not appear to be in particular distress. It just ended up in a block of ice. Even -80 isn't cold enough for the incredibly good insulated mammoth to snap freeze so that the partly chewed material stays in its mouth. I'd dare say a human would still have time to swallow and could live for a few minutes naked at those temperatures with a screaming wind on top.

Regards

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
that would be true, but what if his throat was restricted by the snow, blocking the passage of the material. rather than freeze to death, it might have choked to death, after having been knocked unconcious by the force of the blow from the snow hitting its head. the cold temperature would have reduced any flow to that area, preventing any sign of a bruise. As i understand it, it had lost its winter coat, meaning it was not as well insulated as normal. that would have allowed it to lose heat much faster when it turn to a deep freeze again. about the time hyperthermia would start to set in, here comes the avalance.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
G'day dehammer,

That's a lot of what if's. The point is that it was not a single animal found. If it was then some truly bizarre reasons may actually be correct. But there have been several. Mammoth carcases have been found (and most often eaten) for centuries. The instant death, seemingly in positions that did not suggest its manner of death and including such strange things as still chewing, suggest that something occurred that caused the animals to die where they were instantly. Makes it a bit harder to come up with a logical reason.

Regards

Richard

Megastar
Megastar
Maybe it wasn't quite as instantaneous as we imagine. Thinking of the way herbivores eat, don't they chew for a long time? And they don't sleep for long stretchs either, but doze (I think).

I chew much longer than average and I don't sleep for more than 3-4 hours straight (sorry, TMI?); and I find myself falling asleep while chewing.

Maybe these mammoths were frozen overnight (or at least over a few hours).

Another idea is that if I were a mammoth, faced with the feeling i was about to freeze to death, I might start eating (hoping to generate a little warmth from bacterial decomposition). -i'm such a smart mammoth!

smile smile
~samwik

P.S. Isn't this a good example of a thread that maybe should be moved over to "not-quite-sci;" or maybe duplicated over there. After duplication, that new thread could go on speculating, and the this original could get back to discussing whatever this thread started with -ice?

AND it'd be nice to put this "P.S." in a side-bar & also add it to the other thread re: (now I can't go look at the title without losing all my typing here, so I'll call it) Climate Change Forum Modifications

Hint, hint....

smile ~S

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
G'day Sam,

You are absolutely right but mere members cannot move posts. Perhaps the original post should have been copied and the reply posted in a new thread. I don't agree with you about the "Not quite" bit though. Speculation some of this is, but exactly why mammoths ended up they way they did really is something that may well explain some of the mechanisms of flips between glaciatons and interglacial periods.

Of course now your post and this one are also off topic. Sigh. But then again the topic started with a news article and was not all that much about science the science of Climate even in the first place.

Regards

Richard

Megastar
Megastar
"You are absolutely right but mere members cannot move posts." -RicS
That's what I meant by changing the structure of the fora.

I'd also like to see a link to the "All Fora Overview" (Science a GoGo Forums) in that "Hop To" button on the bottom of each screen.

Thanks,
~samwik

P.S. ...watch out for the fora & fauna smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.