Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 424 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
OP Offline
C
I have invented, patented1, and tested2 a chip containing very many very small diodes that absorbs uniform ambient heat and releases D.C. Electrical power. This is a superior energy source that is very inexpensive and will power small appliances out of the box without a need for power wiring anywhere in the world.

This has great potential to improve the prosperity of mankind.

The chip will quickly become an open source commodity. I want the applications to be open to the commons too. It is also a hard science tool for science fiction.

Michael Huff3 at the Stanford MEM network, a network of nanotechnology developers, has given me a quote that $50,000 would pay for developing this chip. He could receive grant funding directly to improve the accountability as I am an unaffiliated inventor that can not personally produce the chip .

1 U.S. Patent 3,890,161, DIODE ARRAY. As a 1975 patent, it may be available in image form only, not yet in electronically searchable text form. The original materials specified in the patent have been superseded by C60 carbon buckyballs as anodes on an N type InSb (semiconductor) substrate.

2 In 1993 I commissioned the preparation and testing of an adapted satellite transponder chip containing 5,600 Au on GaAs diodes fabricated in a patch as an expedient for assemblers to find one diode where diodes operating at high frequencies have to be very small. Conductive paste was applied over the face of the chip to connect all the diodes in consistent alignment parallel as required. Next the chip was immersed in a constant temperature pure vegetable oil bath inside a shielding box in the California desert. The chip produced ~25 kTB watts where an output more than 1/2 kTB watts validates the theory that electrical thermal noise (Johnson Nouse) can be rectified and aggregated.
If replication of this test is desired, the chips may still be available as draw down obsolete stock from Virginia Diodes Inc. www.virginiadiodes.com . I have lost contact with the lab that adapted and tested the chip. The C60 / N type InSb version of the chip should perform much better. ~100 watts / cm2 @ 20 C @ 50% diode efficiency @ 10^11 buckyballs / cm2 is estimated.

3 mhuff@mems-exchange.org http://www.memsnet.org/links/foundries

Aloha,
Charles M. Brown
(808) 828-0297
Kilauea, Kauai, Hawaii 96754
abundance@logonhi.net
www.diodearray.com
http://peswiki.com/index.php/OS:CBC:Main_Page

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow! when will this miracle happen ...
I love to speculate the day when we will be successful in replacing the smoke and limited oil.
But I dont think it will happen soon...

C
OP Offline
C
It's getting easer to fabricate diode arrays as technology progresses. Spincasting dispersed buckyballs is a reasonable project for an industrial or academic lab. Let's spread the word until enough people are networked to shatter the pinata and have a wonderful breakthrough.

Aloha, Charlie

C
OP Offline
C
I'm frustrated that the diode array isn't at work now to help the world. Man's technological abilities applying cheap and clean energy would then be unified instead of in conflict because of the burdens of perceived entropy and CO2 production. These burdens are leading to a large anti technology current in education. An anti technology current leads to despair instead of progress.

Air conditioners in buildings could make power for pumping water. Water can irrigate plants which moistens the atmosphere. People would cook without firewood, a great drain on forests, or dung, a fertilizer. People would have electric lights anywhere and electronic communication / stimulation / culture / entertainment in farms and villages. Refrigerators and deoxygenated storage can store the harvest. Electric transportation would be clean and quiet. With cheap energy, CO2 can be extracted from the air. Popular Science reported that liquid CO2 is an excellent cloud seeding agent.

Aloha, Charlie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Liquid CO2 does not exist at atmospheric temperatures and pressures. Do you mean "dry Ice" seeding?

C
OP Offline
C
O.K. maybe it was released by aircraft as liquid and quickly became cold dry ice plus gaseous CO2. There is a simple device that does this. I haven't suceeded in looking at pre 2002 back issues of Popular Science on the web to refresh my recollection yet.

Aloha, Charlie

E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Brown:
I have invented, ..... chip containing very many very small diodes that absorbs uniform ambient heat and releases D.C. ...
Wow, sounds like a combination of the perpetuum mobile and declining enthropy to me

e laugh s

C
OP Offline
C
It is.

Another term is Perpetual Motion of the second kind where energy is not gained or lost. Objects in orbit and superconductors are examples of this.

The diode array has had experimental confirmation. Similar independent experiments could be conducted for a few thousand dollars. Some people say that the diode array has a good common sense rating.

View from a Height by Isaac Asimov is a good reference for discussion. Earth as a reservoir of ambient heat, Maxwell's Demon, and Statistical Thermodynamics are introduced.

Aloha, Charlie

E
E
Quote:
It is.
Sure, you can heat up your diods with you current

smile smile smile smile smile

es

C
OP Offline
C
Under short circuit conditions that is exactly what happens. During short circuit conditions there is such tight recycling that there is no net heating or cooling or power supplied to a load. This operating condition can be used to trim voltage off in stages from a lot of diode arrays in series. Similarly the diode array can be operated beyond its maximum output point to pull down the voltage. An open circuiteddiode array will also not produce cooling or electrical output power just because no electrical power is drawn off. The inside of a closed insulated box would not change in temperature as a diode array powering any electrical appliances because their use releases heat which equals the heat absorbed by the diode array as it yields electricity. The immediate surroundings of the diode array will be a little cold while the immediate surroundings of the appuiances is a little hot. The diode array will have a slight extra power at the start of its use because it will not yet be at steady state coldness. The diode array fundamentally. The load will start at background temperature and heat to equlibrium in use always maintaining thermal balance. In all cases energy is not created or destroyed. As Perpetual Motion ll becomes possible and practical it wil become the most useful form of energy.

Aloha, Charlie

C
OP Offline
C
Going off line more tan a day now

Aloha, Charlie

E
E
Hopefully I am not raining on your parade, but I feel I must tell you that there is such thing as a law of energy conservation

e smile s

C
OP Offline
C
Energy is conserved and is fully useful even in thermal form with the diode array. What does the law of energy conservation mean to you?

Aloha, Charlie

E
E
Quote:
What does the law of energy conservation mean ?
It means, that there is no such thing as energy source

e smile s

C
OP Offline
C
O.K. You can have a volume of energy delivered in the form you want according to the conversion ability of a device though. In the case of the diode array, a large unit will absorb a lot of ambient heat (refrigerate a lot) and yield a lot of electrical power which is maximised when an electrical load of matched impedance is placed on the diode array.

Aloha, Charlie

E
E
Quote:
In the case of the diode array, a large unit will absorb a lot of ambient heat (refrigerate a lot) and yield a lot of electrical power
Let us say, you use the electrical power to lift a load.

Then
1. the cooling will reduce enthropy
2. lifting will reduce enthropy

So, your enthropy will be declining - which is an impossibility, according to the Thermodynamics.

e cool s

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for presenting the Law of Entropy as grounds to reject the diode array. I think that a lot of people feel that way but don't want to talk about it. It is usually one of the first highly mathematical concepts taught in a physics class. Learning it is a rite of passage in school. Professional academic careers in the sciences are eased by accepting this law. It is attractive to some theologians. It applies to billions of dollars worth of machinery. Albert Einstein supported it because life and technology hasn't escaped it. For all this, the Law of Entropy is mostly an observed generalization with a mathematical expression which fits. Richard Feynman has one deeper supportive argument. He argues that a ratchet wheel and spring nudged pawl, a system that rotates in one direction in medium scale devices will fail to work for Brownian Movement at the nanometer scale. Skipping some detail, I think that multiple pawls without springs interacting with a ratchet wheel would work for Brownian Movement at the nanometer scale. Feynman without transitional completeness next argues that diodes will also fail. These are conditions for a new paradigm.

Aloha, Charlie

E
E
Quote:
conditions for a new paradigm.
wink

C
OP Offline
C
The evidence in the new paradigm supports the diode array and nano nozzle array. The believers in the new paradigm support the expensive (~$50 k) and daring development work. [Hopefully]The diode array emerges from the nanofabricators running at ~100 watts / sq. cm. winning a peaceful scientific revolution.

Aloha, Charlie

E
E
Quote:
expensive (~$50 k) development work...
Now, here is a bold idea! If it is less than $50 billon, our {pseudo} science community will not even notice you.

Ask for $50 bill, and you will be a hero

e cool s

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.