Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RicS Offline OP
OP Offline
G'day,

This is not an new article and it is a newspaper article but since this has been the topic of discussion on this forum of late I thought it warranted a topic.

Telegraph UK News Article

Mr Spencer is the one name that really should know what he is talking about. His team assist in producing satellite temperature data amongst other things. His quotes are interesting.

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by RicS:

Telegraph UK News Article
The stinky pseudoscience establishment in action.
What else is new?

es

J
J
So what is new? It is nowadays the norm to reject papers which disagree with the current fashion promoted by the "gurus" who dominate a specific field. If you want to publish, do not question accepted wisdom and suck up (as D A Morgan has advised in his postings). No wonder scientific research has become the pursuit of small incremental additions to existing knowledge by the mediocre. Pardigm shifts are not allowed anymore.

A
A
I recently read an article by the a spokeswoman from New Scientist claiming that there is a wall of silence between the writing scientists and the advertising department.

In the same edition, there was an article about how rapidly medicine was evolving due to the synthesis of naturally occuring compounds.

There were "Biopharma" company adverts on every other page.

Why do we live under tha delusion that scientists are any less capable of corruption than any other group of people.

(Back on topic). There don't seem to be many here who do not beleive that research into global warming is biased in some way.

We keep discussing red herrings, such as the thickness of the ice on greenland. If the discussion gets too hot, we still turn up the air-conditioning.

The only thing most British scientists fear more than the reversal of the gulf-stream, is not having been the one to predict precisely when it was going to happen.

"The written word is a lie"
RicS Offline OP
OP Offline
G'day all,

I small point but one worth making.

I've never heard of the newspaper. Don't know its leanings and do not like quoting newspaper articles but where else will you find this issue? In a scientific publication? Hardly!

The only thing that stood out was Spencer. He was the search I was doing and it turned up this. You might not like the source of the article, however, this is one scientist that really should have a right to an opinion on global warming. He may be wrong but at least what he does in science follows scientific methods.

Regards

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
A
A
The new scientist is also complicit if the latest edition's front cover is anything to go by.

"The written word is a lie"
RicS Offline OP
OP Offline
G'day Andist,

Which issue? The one with the big sun on it? I liked that issue and have another paper supporting it. I learned a bit about how the sun heats the earth. I lke to learn things.

Richard
Does anyone look at the message icons? cool eek

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.