Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stephen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Could this be the way to nearing lightspeed in a space ship.?

s.c.bensley
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Could what? You've not provided a link to anything.

DA Morgan
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Laser wake particle acceleration provides no useful beam luminosity. Space travel is about changing momentum, mv. If your propulsion system involves energy, (mv^2)/2, you are screwed. The better you do the worse you do.

The Starflight Handbook Mallove, Matloff. Nobody is going to be "nearing lightspeed" with any engineering solution including a matter-antimatter drive.

The perfect stardrive would go backward in time as it went forward in space. That way you could go anwhere essentially instantaneously needing only 3 mph (and not endanger schoolchild traffic crossings as you did it).

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
Megastar
Megastar
Finally, a reasonable answer to travelling those huge distances. So let's figure out how to manipulate those other dimensions and control space-time. Warp 5, Mr. Sulu!
~~S

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
So the "cow jumped over the Moon", Why?

Because it did not know it was impossible.

Possibly our belief that speed is limited, and out physical theories aim at concurring, will be the reason we will not go very far in space.
It is fine with me, we are probably unfit.
jjw

U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Euler's equation unites algebra and analytic geometry. Mathematics and hard science are absolutely rigorous. Unless you can falsify a founding postulate, provide a falsifying empirical observation, or demonstrate a suitable superset of theory, Special Relativity cannot be broken. Division by zero is undefined and the universe is causal.

Undefined division by zero also births the Third Law of Thermodynamics. However, negative temps kelvin are trivially accessed in population inversions: lasers, MRI, NMR, EPR, adiabatic demagnetization of paramagnetic salts for refrigeration. Interested readers are invited to submit an analogous finesse of Special Relativity accompanied by a description of empirical reduction to practice.

To criticize is to volunteer. Stop whining, start winning.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Hi:

I do not whine so I must think you speak to some other person. My longer response went bye bye. Due possibly to some mooing activity.
Cheers
jjw

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Hello Al:

I will not get to accept your challenge if that was what you intended. It is not important.
Cheers!
jjw

D
D
Hi All,

I seem to recall seing an article on the subject of mini-accelerators, but I can't find it right now. Does anybody have a link or are we too far along some kind of tangent here?

Dr. R.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.