Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15861 11/07/06 02:32 PM
B
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Human emotions. There are differences--but is it man/woman differences or is it individual differences? In relationships, it SEEMS that men cah have an intimate relationship & walk away with no remorse. Women, on the other hand, seem to get more emotionally involved. What makes these differences?

Beth
#15862 11/07/06 03:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems to me that some men get want the sex for pleasure like a sport and most women's minds want the emotional connection more. I heard that men are programed for breeding and women are programed for the nest builders. When you think of the way back when.. men where hunters/gathers and women stayed home and kept the fire burning and took care of the cleaning, cooking, sewing and taking care of the kids. Some where way back the brains were programed for those roles and now with out the need to hunt and gather and women having to help with the house hold incomes.. the roles have slowly been changing and so has the mind set.

#15863 11/07/06 04:15 PM
A wishy-washy answer: it's a combination of both.

I think men are more likely to develop long-term, meaningful relationships when they have to put a lot of effort into it.

When mothers tell their daughters not to "give it up" easily, it's age-old wisdom. Men need to develop that connection with a woman in order to stay with her, and just having sex won't do it (for most).

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#15864 11/07/06 05:21 PM
B
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So a woman feels more emotionally involved with more deep feelings & a man has more "want/needs" emotions?

Beth
#15865 11/07/06 06:38 PM
I don't know, Beth. All I was saying is that a sex act does not tie a man emotionally the way it seems to tie a woman.

Deep feelings, for men, take longer to develop than for women, I think. Sex CAN have strong emotional meaning to men, but it's certainly not necessary.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#15866 11/07/06 08:44 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Beth: The difference between the emotions experienced by males and females are regulated by hormones. And the levels of these hormones, for the most part, are different depending upon gender.

The implications for a male involved in sex is that he has done his biological duty in a matter of seconds (something quite a few women complain about I might add). For a woman it is the beginning of a commitment that even in primitive societies lasted roughly 14 years.

The emotions are designed to further the biological imperative: Nothing more.

A human can make a conscious choice to not engage in instinctive behavior. For example I didn't kill the numbskull that cut me off in traffic this morning. But that doesn't change the fact that he deserved to be fed to a giant squid.

DA Morgan
#15867 11/08/06 03:10 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
A quote i remember from a tv report on the difference between men and women sex atitudes, went some thing like this. (this quote was about all animals, not just humans)

"a woman is program (on a deep subconcious or perhaps biological) level) to look for the best mate. a man is program to look for the most mates."

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#15868 11/08/06 06:15 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
While there is some truth to what dehammer wrote the biological imperative is to do that which, however poorly, will produce the largest number of viable copies of one's DNA in future generations.

DA Morgan
#15869 11/09/06 03:12 PM
B
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ah! Reproduction. But how about in later years?

Beth
#15870 11/09/06 06:01 PM
A
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth:
Human emotions. There are differences--but is it man/woman differences or is it individual differences? In relationships, it SEEMS that men cah have an intimate relationship & walk away with no remorse. Women, on the other hand, seem to get more emotionally involved. What makes these differences?

#15871 11/09/06 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth:
Ah! Reproduction. But how about in later years?
Later years don't figure into evolution. Evolution is about surviving to sexual maturity, attracting a mate or mates, reproducing and successfully raising offspring, period.

--S. Lewis
#15872 11/09/06 08:14 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Beth asks:
"Ah! Reproduction. But how about in later years?"

From a biological standpoint we are expendable as soon as you no longer can reproduce. And if one looks at the vast majority of human history, with life expectancies in the 30s - 40s, that is precisely what happened.

Were it not for modern medicine in the last couple of hundred years ... that would still be the case for the vast majority of those born.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.