Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Empathy allows us to feel the emotions of others, to identify and understand their feelings and motives and see things from their perspective. How we generate empathy remains a subject of intense debate in cognitive science.

Some scientists now believe they may have finally discovered its root. We're all essentially mind readers, they say."

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050427_mind_readers.html

At last, there may be an explanation for autism, Asperger's syndrome, and maybe ADHD.

G
G
Very interesting. Amazing isn't it? - how much science is advancing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it will be very difficult to prove that we are mind readers unless we discover medium through which our minds communicate...
If we can discover that medium then probably Science will be able develop amplifiers for the particles existing in such a medium and we will be able to communicate effortlessly.we all will be connected to each other without any mobiles...
Thats very interesting and fasinating according to me...
What do you say?

A
A
DKV, do a web search on electroreception, then do one on the mental or psychological effects of electromagnetism on people. Should satisfy your desire for a theoretical mechanism which can explain some things resembling telepathy, empathy, and a sixth sense.

C
C
The proposed Multiple Fundamental Frequency Modulation radio system I added as a recent topic may interact with living things. I'd sweep living things with a general RF detector and an adaptible bank of phase locked loops that would look for redundant coordinated signals with an initially unknown signature.

Aloha, Charlie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
after a long time I have found the "Superstitious Science" ....Last time I had an amazing experience when I came to know Homeopathy is "unscientific"...
Detect a wave is one thing and understanding is other... to understand a proper interface must be present along with the medium e.g Air ,Speakers and ears..
Can anyone tell me how and where those "brain signals" get absorbed and through which "wire" it is taken to the "central processor" where it is understood... thats crazy... how can I read your mind when I dont know where the output is going and how it is being processed...
Interface is a MUST... I have not seen a perfectly soluble device where one can plug the input at any point...
Hence if the story is true then there must be a mechanism of transmitting and receiving the "brain signals"... and the error handling must be done in such a way that weak "brain signals" are readble under external conditions.. i.e there is no noise...
I am tierd of convincing myself but I am still not convinced....
Please help.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Personally I feel that Electro-Magnetic field is also being used by life to communicate on one to one basis ...
Currently all known natural way of communication involve some kind of medium....
Etheral coomunication has not been detected.. but I think it should be the case because this is the most efficient way to communicate naturally..
However I must also admit that we have are actually using this means in a more visible way by inventing new devices....
Eco-friendly mobile is what I am looking for..

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I read an article on this a few weeks ago on slate, I think. The title was misleading. They're not really saying that there's evidence that people can actually read minds - at least not in the article I read. In particular they didn't provide any evidence, or even present any scenarios from experiments that would support ESP, telepathy, remote sensing, remote viewing, or any of that other stuff.

The article presented evidence of what most people already know - that some people are very good at interpretting facial expressions, mannerisms, tone of voice in context.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its called 'conscience'you dont have one, you dont read minds.
DeepSheep

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conscience? I'd have to disagree here. "Conscience" is usually a restraining/compelling force to keep us from doing what we know is wrong or to prod us to do what's right. It may have something to do with fear, either of consequences or of seeming socially unfit (Peer pressure). Mental telepathy is a whole 'nother thing, in my opinion. While I would not expect to use it for making Dental appointments, I might not be surprised to find myself knowing that a friend or offspring is in distress. If I'm out hunting mastodons such a means of communication could be very handy indeed. What has survival value persists, even in our modern concrete jungles and interstate highway savannas. It helps me keep out of the way of the saber-toothed semis and law enforcement officials. wink

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Whatever gives us reproductive advantage persists - if Nature thinks of it. It might be useful for me to have a sent that predators find terrifying, but Nature didn't give it to me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What has "Conscience" to do with Mind Reading?
I guess this will be my last message on the topic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conscience has nothing to do with mindreading. I can relate anecdotes of having made some kind of communication over distances or having felt a event happen that affected a lot of people at a great distance. That sort of thing isn't strictly speaking mindreading--or is it? To know of calamities as they happen within minutes of the occurrence has little value, I think. I'd like to know in advance so as to be able to prevent them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
James Randy has been working on such claims.
You may visit his website verify it.
www.randi.org

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I saw James Randi perform twice. He tried to play a joke/trick on me, but I got him, because I'd seen him do it before. He's a funny guy and a great speaker.

Have you read any of his books?

I read and immensely enjoyed "Flim-Flam".

Some other books good for a skeptic's shelf are:
"Science: Good, Bad, and Bogus" and "Fads and Fallacies in the name of science," by Martin Gardner.

Also, Joe Nickel's "Inquest on the Shroud of Turin" is a great read. (I've met him, too, as we were both members of KASES, Kentucky Association of Science Educators and Skeptics.)

I'm particularly fond of Sagan's "Broca's Brain" and his "The Demon-Haunted World" has been on my list for some time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
*Sigh* I'm not talking about flim-flammery, chicanery, or all that rot that parades as "Psychic" powers stuff. I'm talking about real, genuine people being aware of events as they happen to other real, genuine people. No plots, no "rigged" tests, just things that happened in the course of life itself. I cannot explain them but I cannot deny the fact that they occurred and were verified by others. If that makes me extraordinary then perhaps I am. I think I'm just as normal as the next guy/gal and that most people probably have similar experiences that are put down to "coincidence" or "craziness".

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I think people really believe these kinds of things. The people whom Randi has tested often believe they really have special powers.

Some of them are making stuff up (like Peter Popoff and the other faith healers). In others, they're just mistaken (like the dowsers).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I want to agree with you but Science has not been able to validate those premonitions or UFO experience or the so called "Psychic" ones.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that there may be ways of communication that we haven't yet uncovered. The means and the medium I cannot predict. I am uncomfortable about the things that have happened to me, and I know other people would say I'm crazy. But things do happen to people that are as yet unexplained and are very complex and elaborate that weren't planned or agreed upon by the participants; they just happened, boom. They were only discovered later, in conversation after the event. Times were checked and coincidence determined by responsible, reliable adults involved. What can I say? I must accept the organoleptic evidence of these events while searching for the cause or mode or method. It isn't easy to do when people immediately assign you to the ranks of kooks and mental patients sight unseen and tale untold. There is more to heaven and earth than admits of our philosophy, Horatio.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What has happened with you ?
May be we can give you some scientific explanation of your observation/experience...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.