Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Apparently, trilobyte only knows how to repeat stuff he reads on fake science sites.

He won't read what actual practicing scientists have said here: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/c14.html
because he wants to pretend he knows something about the subject. He and anyman are intellectually dishonest.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Were trilobyte truly interested in science, which obviously he is not, you would need to take him back to the beginning ... whatever that is and obtain a common agreement on the source of C14 in the universe and the relative percentages of C12 and C14.

Your rational understanding of this is based upon an accepted, and thus unspoken, understanding of the basis of the relative abundance of carbon isotopes.

The truth is that trilobyte doesn't know the difference between C12 and C14, doesn't know the origin of isotopes, doesn't understand their relative abundance, and worst of all ... doesn't care that he dwells in the darkness of willfull ignorance.

DA Morgan
O
O
The Christ spoke, saying, (John 5) "I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him."

Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
While I don't personally read ancient Hebrew or Aramaic I have associates that do.

I checked with two of them and they are unaware of any support for your statements in either the text or their religion.
There's nothing like unnammed, unknown sources to support a position.

So in all fairness, I'll provide my own:

C. I. Scofield, D. D.
James Barrellet
C. R. Erdman
William J. Erdman
Arno C. Gaebelein
James M. Gray
Elmore Harris
W. G. Moorehead
William L. Pettingill
Prof. Margoliouth
Arthur T. Peirson
Prof. Sayce
Walter Scott
Henry G. Weston
E. Schuyler Englilsh, Litt. D.
Frank E. Gaebelein, A. M., Litt. D.
Headmaster Emeritus, The Stony Brook School
William Culbertson, D. D., LL. D.
President, Moody Bible Institute
Charles L. Feinberg, Th. D., Ph. D.
Dean, Talbot Theological Seminary
Allan A. MacRae, A. M., Ph. D.
President, Biblical Theological Seminary
Clarence E. Mason Jr., Th. M., D. D.
Dean, Philadelphia College of Bible
Alva J. McClain, Th. M., D. D.
President Emeritus, Grace Theological Seminary
Wilbur M. Smith, D. D.
Editor, Peloubet's Select Notes
John F. Walvoord, A. M., Th. D.
President, Dallas Theological Seminary

James 4
Do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves, then, to God, Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Is it a hatred of God or the Bible that urges you so vehemently to resist God? Or is it a hatred for your fellow man who are believers?

(This passage is also for you trilobite)

Matthew 24-25
.... Jesus answered: .... "I was a stranger and you did not invite me in .... I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"It is better to believe than to disbelieve. In so doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility." - Albert Einstein, physicist
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"It is better to believe than to disbelieve. In so doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility." - Albert Einstein, physicist & christian"

This is a joke, right? If it's not then I question your scholarship.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Excuse me OGGOB but the last time I looked Genesis was Old Testament.

Revisionist writings thousands of years later edited by the Vatican for political purposes don't qualify as evidence of anything other than the fact that your original argument fell flat on its face and has a bloody nose.

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
OGGOB,

Einstein was sympathetic to Christianity, but was not a Christian. A Deist at a stretch.

Blacknad.

T
OP Offline
T
Blacknad,
I'm kinda curious on your responce to post 1 in this thread.

O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Excuse me OGGOB but the last time I looked Genesis was Old Testament.

Revisionist writings thousands of years later edited by the Vatican for political purposes don't qualify as evidence of anything other than the fact that your original argument fell flat on its face and has a bloody nose.
Each scholar on that list supports the information I used in the discussion of Genesis. The new testament quotations were in regard to the discussion, not proofs.

"It is better to believe than to disbelieve. In so doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility." - Albert Einstein, physicist
O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknad:
OGGOB,

Einstein was sympathetic to Christianity, but was not a Christian. A Deist at a stretch.

Blacknad.
Fair enough, I admit I had mistakenly assumed christian in reading much of what he has said about God and belief. Never-the-less, I think there is no doubt the man believed in God, in some fashion.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Belief in what? Einstein said a lot of things. Clearly he doesn't think that all beliefs are equal and very clearly he doesn't advocate religious mythology as science.

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

"Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms."

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

"Morality is of the highest importance -- but for us, not for God."

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
OGGOB wrote:
"Never-the-less, I think there is no doubt the man believed in God, in some fashion."

You are correct in some fashion. But you might want to factor into your calculation that what Einstein was referring to was not what you are referring to. Perhaps this will help clarify his belief system:

"I cannot conceive of a god who rewards and punishes his creatures or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I - nor would I want to - conceive of an individual that survivies his physical death. Let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egotism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and a glimpse of the marvelous
structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself
in nature.
~ Albert Einstein in The World as I See It

This conclusively demonstrates that while he may, at times have used the word "god" he didn't mean the god of Judeo-Christian-Islamist theology.

DA Morgan
Trilobyte and onegermanglassofbeer,

I wonder if you know where the bible you quote actually comes from? Original hebrew? Are we talking about Jewish texts or the Christian bible here?

The journey as to just how the Christian bible that we know today is a fascinating one.

If you truly believe that the Bible is the word of God, surely you know how those words came to be in print in the first place. It isn't taught in any religion classes but it is not a secret either.

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
RicS. Their answer is simple: It comes from God. No matter we pretty much know the Bible's evolution God had his finger on the pulse every step of the way. He also wrote the Qran. Oops!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.