Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#15234 09/23/06 07:07 PM
T
OP Offline
T
The problem with these so-called "hot spots" is that they are not only hot to beneficial mutations.

Considering that almost if not all mutations that will occur in this so-called "hot spot" are harmful or neutral...they will over come any of the very infrequent, rarely occurring, beneficial mutations that may occur.

BTW: About those assumtions based on a fair amount of observation....do you have a reference?

#15235 09/23/06 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trilobyte:
The mutation rates for parts of the human genome ARE known,
reference please...or retract. statement
Are you serious, trilobyte? Don't you know how to use Google?

http://www.newsrx.com/newsletters/Gene-Therapy-Weekly/1996-04-29/0429961260323128GW.html

http://jmg.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/39/7/e40

http://www.bact.wisc.edu/Bact370/mutasummary.html
Excerpt:

"Hot spots for point mutations can arise at sites preferred by mutagens, sites where replication/ repair enzymes frequently make errors, or sites that are poorly repaired by repair systems. As described below, large direct repeats can serve as hot spots for duplications and deletions, and certain insertion elements have site-specificity, so hot spots are not restricted to any particular type of mutation. The effect on your analysis will depend on just how frequently mutations occur at these sites, and whether or not they cause a phenotype that you are looking for."

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/~smaloy/MicrobialGenetics/topics/mutations/fluctuation.html
Exerpt:

"...however it is important to note that there are certain "hot spots" or "cold spots" for spontaneous mutations. (A "hot spot" is a site that has a higher rate of mutations than predicted from a normal distribution, and a "cold spot" is a site with a lower rate of mutations than predicted from a normal distribution.)"

Now stop with the infantile crap about retracting statements. Learn some biology and stop debating topics about which you know nothing.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#15236 09/23/06 11:31 PM
Quote:
The problem with these so-called "hot spots" is...
...something that someone ignorant of biology should not bother speculating upon.

Give it up. You're not going to overturn the governing theory of biology without studying the subject. I don't understand the mentality of someone who must know he/she is uninformed, yet jumps into an argument anyway.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#15237 09/23/06 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anyman:
Quote:
While you have your calculator out, what's the probability that Genesis is literally true?
100% :-)

Show your work.

--S. Lewis
#15238 09/24/06 04:07 AM
T
OP Offline
T
soilguys links doesn't seem to help him out of his hole very much.

The site mentioned a mutation rate of somethig like 10E-7 per cell division.

Of course this counted all mutation. What do you think the mutation rate would be just for beneficial mutations?

#15239 09/24/06 07:29 PM
Quote:
soilguys links doesn't seem to help him out of his hole very much.

The site mentioned a mutation rate of somethig like 10E-7 per cell division.

Of course this counted all mutation. What do you think the mutation rate would be just for beneficial mutations?
You demanded that I back up the fact that mutation hotspots exist. I did just that. And a mutation rate of one per million cell divisions is PLENTY.

Now go learn some basic biology. Don't jump into the deep end of the pool until you learn to swim.

--S. Lewis
#15240 09/25/06 01:03 AM
T
OP Offline
T
No, you didn't back it up...all you did was point to a site that claimed they do.

Just because a site mentions it...doesn't make it so. You should know better than to post such a weak source as a reference.

#15241 09/25/06 03:26 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
The Journal of Medical Genetics is a weak reference?
You reject a priori any source the shows you're wrong. You prefer to make up facts and generate make-believe statistics.

You are intellectually lazy which is evidence by the facts that
You do not read carefully.
You do not reason correctly.
The logic circuits in your brain are broken.
This explains why
You do not understand mathematics.
You do not understand statistics.
You do not understand mathematics.
You have a comic-book understanding of science.

No wonder you're a creationist.

#15242 09/25/06 01:51 PM
Quote:
No, you didn't back it up...all you did was point to a site that claimed they do.

Just because a site mentions it...doesn't make it so. You should know better than to post such a weak source as a reference.
Trilobyte, you are a troll, just as others had said about you. If you're not going to accept the Journal of Medical Genetics, the University of Wisconsin and South Dakota State University as decent references, what would you accept?

--S. Lewis
#15243 09/25/06 08:50 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Interesting...what a view the EVO-BABBLERS here have...if you don't accept their religion of evolutionism...you don't understand biology.

Of course ther funny part is their lack of understanding their own flawed theory.

Just ask them how mutations add up over time...and then watch the Mr. Bojangles soft shoe routine.

[coloe=blue]blue[/color]

#15244 09/25/06 09:00 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Trilobyte, you make up BS math. Soilguy counters with actual information from reliable sources. You simply say you reject the work done by real scientists.

I know very well that my own understanding of evolution is imperfect. But you haven't said one thing that conveys any understanding at all of what the actual theory says. You reject a theory that you don't understand, because it disagrees with your religious preconceptions.

You think because you are too lazy and too intellectually dishonest to attempt understanding the theory that the theory is wrong. A theory is not wrong just because lazy people don't understand it.

#15245 09/25/06 09:27 PM
Quote:
Interesting...what a view the EVO-BABBLERS here have...if you don't accept their religion of evolutionism...you don't understand biology.

Of course ther funny part is their lack of understanding their own flawed theory.

Just ask them how mutations add up over time...and then watch the Mr. Bojangles soft shoe routine.

We know you don't know anything about biology, because you ask questions that reveal profound ignorance of the subject. One such question is, "How do mutations add up over time?"

If you can't answer this question yourself, you don't know anything about genetics. I'm not talking about the knowledge that a geneticist must have, I'm talking about the knowledge that a teenager should have if they paid attention in class.

I can't help but notice that you've ignored more questions put to you. What constitutes a good reference? Why are respected journals and universities bad references?

--S. Lewis
#15246 09/25/06 11:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

[coloe=blue]blue[/color]
Trilobyte,

You intercourse here is degenerating into the realm of insults and innuendoes. Please try to show some respect for your opponents or I will edit your posts to remove insulting material. Please heed my warning.

Amaranth Rose,

#15247 09/26/06 01:45 AM
T
OP Offline
T
TheFallibleFiend,
I posted a response to the so-called "hot spots"

In it I said that the harmful mutations would occur at such a rate compared to the beneficial mutation is the so-called "hot spot" that evolutionism would stop....

#15248 09/26/06 02:11 AM
Quote:
To soilguy...YAWN.

Your hate filled remarks are getting quite boring.

Just because you can't answer my questions doesn't give you reason to throw your ad-hom attacks at me.
I'm filled with Darwin's love for you, my boy. These are not "attacks." I'm pointing out the obvious. No one with a clue would wonder how mutations could add up.

--S. Lewis
#15249 09/26/06 02:25 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Trilobyte: "In it I said that the harmful mutations would occur at such a rate compared to the beneficial mutation is the so-called "hot spot" that evolutionism would stop..."

Your assertions are not facts.

#15250 10/08/06 12:04 PM
T
OP Offline
T
DA Morgan,
Considering your lack of answers presented to you it is easy to come to the conclusion that you have not achieved understanding of the actual scientific theory.

#15251 10/08/06 06:56 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Trilobyte wrote:
"Considering your lack of answers presented to you it is easy to come to the conclusion that you have not achieved understanding of the actual scientific theory."

And you are qualified to understand and comment upon what I write? How?

Anyone with 5 seconds and google can quickly verify that I teach at the University of Washington.

Perhaps you'd like to similarly state your academic accomplishments.

DA Morgan
#15252 10/09/06 12:53 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Actually you INDOCTRINATE at the University of Washington....I'm thankful none of my kids went there and had to put up with your psuedo-science..

#15253 10/09/06 01:39 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"Considering your lack of answers presented to you it is easy to come to the conclusion that you have not achieved understanding of the actual scientific theory."

Trilo, you don't know anything about science.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.