Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15086 08/28/06 04:50 PM
T
Tim Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The same people who thought that Pluto was a planet also believe that we came from monkeys. Well, they were wrong about the first one. Who says they can't be wrong about the other?

#15087 08/28/06 05:37 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
the change in pluto is a matter of words, the facts of evolutions is are proven facts. The theory of evolution is the best we know how to explain the connection of these facts. major difference. If you changed your name to tom would it change any of your post?

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#15088 08/28/06 05:42 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"The same people who thought that Pluto was a planet also believe that we came from monkeys. Well, they were wrong about the first one. Who says they can't be wrong about the other?"

This is a profoundly ridiculous post. It's almost too ridiculous to respond to. But I'll assume that you are about 10 years old and will try to explain it to you.

The definition of "planet" has been changed to exclude Pluto. Previously, Pluto *WAS* a planet. However, now we have CHANGED THE DEFINITION to specifically exclude Pluto. (I don't agree with the criteria, since I think there are better ones.)

Also, probably most creationists also considered Pluto was a planet. And many, many evolutionists AND creationists have long believed that Pluto should be demoted.

In any event, you have used a fallacy very common to creationists. You just lump a bunch of ideas and people together that you disagree with and say, "Well, they're all the same people."

"They're all just atheist- humanist- globalist- evolutionist- plutoist blah blah!"

Well, that's not a sound argument. It's not even valid. I know it's more fun to express extreme opinions than it is to do research, but you should try. Start small and work your way up. Or take night classes.

#15089 08/29/06 04:57 PM
T
Tim Offline OP
OP Offline
T
First, let me ask you what type of education you have and then I'll tell you mine.

#15090 08/29/06 05:19 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"First, let me ask you what type of education you have and then I'll tell you mine."

I didn't ask you what your education was. Your education on the subject of evolution is apparent.

Education, however, is not the same as schooling. My formal schooling is in engineering math and computer science - a subject completely irrelevant to evolution, planetary science, or philosophy of science.

However, I have studied logic - both in my program and on my own. These studies enable to recognize that your accusation is embodies a rhetorical fallacy.

1. It's not the "same" people.
2. Nobody says we came from monkeys.
3. Plenty of creationists recognized pluto as a planet, as well.

#15091 08/29/06 11:02 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Tim wrote:
"The same people who thought that Pluto was a planet also believe that we came from monkeys."

This may come as a shock to you but there is not a single person I have ever met, that believed evolution theory reasonable, but ever believed that we came from monkeys.

If you are being told this stuff you might want to consider the motivation of those telling you this because it is NOT true.

DA Morgan
#15092 08/30/06 04:16 PM
T
Tim Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I wasn't talking about literal monkeys; it was figuritive language.

#15093 08/30/06 07:18 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Literal monkeys ... figurative monkeys ... or plastic monkeys ... that is religious fundamentalist scaremongering at its worst and bears no relationship to serious science.

DA Morgan
#15094 08/31/06 08:15 PM
I know someone who came from Monkey Run, Missouri.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#15095 09/20/06 11:26 PM
O
O
Don't worry about Pluto, Madison, Wisconsin will take care of this wayword planet:

http://www.madison.com/tearsheets/pdf/2006/09/05/WSJ/20060905-A-A-001--CN_-WSJ--.pdf#search=%2210th%20district%20madison%20wisconsin%20pluto%22

The article is entitled "Placating Pluto" and this is its text in entirity (the link is for both proof and proprietary purposes):

When Pluto recently lost its planetary status, Ald. Kenneth Golden, 10th District, saw an opportunity for the city of Madison to open its arms to the
ousted planet.

He proposed a tongue-incheek resolution ?proclaiming Pluto as Madison?s ninth planet,? which will go before the City Council tonight.

?It?s massive discrimination. It really is offensive in the city of tolerance,? he said, adding, ?I didn?t want Pluto to go to the
dogs.?

Golden?s resolution says that by downgrading Pluto to ?dwarf? status because of its small size and elliptical orbit, the group of scientists was
showing a decided lack of tolerance toward diverse planets and those ?pursuing different lifestyles.?

This isn?t Golden?s first playful resolution. In 2003, he proposed to give country-western pop group the Dixie Chicks keys to the city after they criticized President Bush.

The resolution invites any Pluto resident to attend Tuesday?s meeting, where they would be given a few Madison perks, including an autographed CD from the Dixie Chicks.

?Deborah Ziff

"It is better to believe than to disbelieve. In so doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility." - Albert Einstein, physicist

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.