Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
turak Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I see you have POINTEDLY avoided answering my rebuttal to your inane idea that the Universe is finite...

Again... you have covered your face with egg, and are DESPERATELY tring to make sure that nobody realizes that you have screwed up: BIG TIME!...

You have stated that anything that is finte has an edge. By definition anything that does NOT have an edge must be INFINITE in nature... because it goes on and on without end, and no finite edge to mark its finite ending

all of you are arguing to no purpose. The Universe is obviously infinite, and most scientific journals will say that IN PRINT

If you want a REFERRED journal that states that: simply go to the NASA web page: and look up the Universe...

And do not EVER try your sneering condescension with me. I do not tolerate people who disrespect other people's honest truthful statements.

What I DO disrespect: are liars and con artists posing as scientific fakes... like you for instance.

Quote:
Originally posted by turak:
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Turak wrote:
"That is not logical. It is mathematically impossible for any finite thing to have an infinite number of things inside it."

Didn't your mother tell you that the problem with opening your mouth is that it often removes all doubt?

"Infinite complexity in finite space" is just another way of saying 'fractal'. Very logical and pure mathematics.

For those interested in actual science and education: http://www.gpc.edu/~mnunes/COMPLEX/LIMITS.HTM
and also look up mandelbrot sets, julia sets, quaternion julia sets, and koch snowflake at google.com.

Turak I really don't know what middle school you attend but you are in way over your head trying to bluff your way here. Unless you are striving for public embarrasement you might want to reconsider your modus operandi.
Please do not ever refer to me as an adolescent. I am much older than you are.

As to your inane pompous attitude: I am not interested.

The fact that there are indeed a DUAL infinite set of fractals in Mandelbrot's equation: proves that this Universe is indeed INFINITE.

If this Universe were not infinite: it could not contain any set of infinite fractals.

If this Universe were finite. Then there would BY DEFINITION necessarily be only FINITE sets of fractals in it. Not infinite. Can you get this through your head?

You already proved what I said by agreeing that anything that is finite must have an edge to it.

Well: MAndelbrot's fractals do NOT have a finite edge to them. They go on INFINITELY; WITHOUT END.

Or are you so dense that you do not understand this?

Mandelbrot's fractals go on infinitely without end becuase this universe also goes on infinitely without end.

Try to grasp this simple fact.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Fractals are mathematical abstractions, not real things. They might be analogous to physical things, but they are not physical things themselves. Their existence or lack of existence doesn't prove anything about the physical universe.

"Mandelbrot's fractals go on infinitely without end becuase this universe also goes on infinitely without end."

The argument is invalid, because the conclusion is not an implication of the premise.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Turak wrote:
"I see you have POINTEDLY avoided answering my rebuttal to your inane idea that the Universe is finite..."

I didn't see a rebuttal. It seems no one else did either. If you get to college I'd recommend you take a class: statistics.

DA Morgan
P
P
Turok,
Can you find us an edge on the surface of a klein bottle? - Or an end to a mobius strip?

D.A.,
I realize that our frame of reference is interior
to our observable universe.
It is possible that the "a fluctuation in the quantum field",
answer I recieved was the astrophysical equivalent of
"go way kid, you bother me".
My question was meant to explore what we may infer from the theory about a possible 'overspace`,
exterior to our own, and unreachable by any
means now, or likely to become, available.
My thought was that if a field is defined, then
we know something about the space in which it existed:
minimum number of dimensions, their shapes, etc.
It seems that this information would have to be
inherent in the definition of the field.

As our time is bound up with C, the 'Time` required for the fluctuation to occur would probably also be different, but I dispair of there being much information there.
Is this the case?
I appologize for the lack of clarity in this post,
this is the best I can do in english and
I simply don't have the math.
Pragmatist.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Pragmatist wrote:
" I realize that our frame of reference is interior
to our observable universe."

I'll quibble about the word "interior" but I do get your point.

Pragmatist wrote:
"is possible that the "a fluctuation in the quantum field", answer I recieved was the astrophysical equivalent of "go way kid, you bother me"."

Not at all. It was a serious answer founded on serious mathematics and references the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Pragmatist wrote:
" My question was meant to explore what we may infer from the theory about a possible 'overspace`, exterior to our own, and unreachable by any means now, or likely to become, available."

By your definition ... it does not exist and you are engaging in a game of semantics as I do with my invisible purple rhinoceros. Obviously invisible and purple are a contradiction.

In your case it is claiming something exists and in the same breath stating it will never by reachable or available.

Pragmatist wrote:
" My thought was that if a field is defined, then
we know something about the space in which it existed: minimum number of dimensions, their shapes, etc. It seems that this information would have to be inherent in the definition of the field."

As we know of nothing other than our four dimensional space-time we are incapable, so far, of knowing anything about what other dimensions may exist and how they may or may not impact anything. I think we need to be humble and plead ignorance of the facts here. But again I get your point. We just aren't quite there yet. The information is unquestionably inherent in the field. But we still don't understand any field completely ... not even the electromagnetic ... though we do know a lot about it.

Pragmatist wrote:
"I simply don't have the math."

No one does ... yet. And if they did they'd be standing on Einstein's and Newton's shoulders and getting a Nobel Prize in Physics.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the "known" universe (note the quotes around known) is dark matter and dark energy of which our sole point of knowledge is that they APPEAR to exist. Hardly a point of view that should lead anyone to self-congratulations.

Personally I expect it will all come down to zeros and ones (binary math), a fractal formula, and a recursive engine of some type. But perhaps that is just the fact that history has time-and-time again shown us that somehow there is an element of elegance and beauty in it all.

It is not that it is too complex for us to understand ... rather it is too simple.

DA Morgan
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.