Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#14886 08/31/06 07:24 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Dan, go a little easier on him

It was very hard for me to go from the believe the witches and anything but christians were evil to the realization that friends i had had for years, people that i trusted with my life, loved like brothers and sisters, were in fact pagan, druids and witches. I cant imagine how hard it would have been if i had not already begun to question the teaching of the church. Even then it took me a while to get over the shock and begin to ask quetions.

given time he might take the questions we ask and begin to ask them of his own. Then he'll have to find answers that are either more than what someone else says, or he will begin to find that the answers are not good enough.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#14887 08/31/06 09:50 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I am not being hard on Tim. I've raised two past the age of 16 and have been there myself. I know precisely what it is.

Tim will get there when and if he is willing to face the challenge.

But one right-of-passage is survival. I made it. The two of you made it. So do most people or we wouldn't have a population of 6,000,000,000.

Tim will receive no encouragement from his parents or his peers to get out an explore the real world. This may be the only place for him to come in contact with people who think he is in a cult or cult-like environment.

DA Morgan
#14888 08/31/06 11:51 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
true, so we should encourage him to ask question, rather than quote the bible.

there is a saying something along the lines that its hard to learn with your mouth open.

#14889 09/01/06 03:43 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
And it is impossible to learn when you think you already know all the answers.

It would seem that a conspiracy of being 16 years old, when everyone thinks they know everything, and being in a cult have conspired against him.

Yes Tim you are a member of a cult. That is how we view you. If it feels uncomfortable ... and it should ... you best consider that the only reason we have this impression is that you have given it to us.

DA Morgan
#14890 09/01/06 03:27 PM
T
Tim Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I guess you could call it that; although cult usually refers to some unorthodox religious movement; not an orthodox, conservative religion. Because cult comes from the Latin route "cultus" which simply means "worship" which is a particple of the stem "colere" which literally means "piece of tilled land" and is how we get the word "culture". And yes, I worship God; not man as many evolutionists do.

#14891 09/01/06 05:35 PM
"Evolutionists" don't worship man, Tim. Evolution is not a religion.

There are many Christians who know evolution to be true. Consider Professor Kenneth Miller of Brown University, for example (http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/index.html ).

I have little doubt that your brand of Christianity considers Catholics to be non-Christians, but you may gain some insight into the way modern Christians integrate their religious beliefs with scientific facts from some of his essays.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#14892 09/01/06 06:12 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
What Tim "knows" about evolutionists is what his parents and sunday school teachers have told him.

#14893 09/01/06 07:44 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Tim wrote:
"cult usually refers to some unorthodox religious movement"

You are in one Tim. I know you find that hard to believe but YOU ARE INSIDE A CULT.

What you are parroting here is either fundamentalist cult material or straight out of a Sunday School coloring book. The world isn't the way you perceive it. It really isn't. And you best get outside and look around you before you waste your life pursuing someone else's trumped up version of reality.

DA Morgan
#14894 09/01/06 09:47 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
If it looks like a cult, sounds like a cult, smells like a cult, and feels like a cult (can it taste like one?) then it is most certainly a cult.

#14895 09/01/06 10:02 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Dehammer,
Most people who are in cults don't think, "Hey! I'm in a cult!" If cultmembers were that aware, there wouldn't be any cults.

#14896 09/02/06 12:35 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The first test of whether you are in a cult is when people who don't know you hear you talk or read what you've written and all come to the conclusion you are in a cult.

The second is to tell those who are the leaders, whether they call themselves mom and dad or minister or whatever that you are thinking of changing your life goals and becoming something else. The stronger their reaction the more likely you are in a cult.

For Tim I'd thinking telling his parents he wants to go to a public high school for his senior year and then go to UCLA might be enough to get him dragged off to a re-education camp.

IFF is correct. If cult members were able to recognize that they were being brainwashed by a cult ... there wouldn't be any.

DA Morgan
#14897 09/02/06 01:07 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
TFF, that is true. Dan, there are some that would want to belong to something so badly that they would join even if they knew what was being done to them. rare, but they do exist.

#14898 09/02/06 02:32 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
And there are people that shoot heroin and people that jump off tall buildings. I don't think Tim is one of them. He is a just victim of circumstances beyond his control. Or at least beyond his control until he is an adult. Then if he chooses to do as he has been instructed he is responsible for his bad choices.

Consider that had he been born under different circumstances he would have been led by his parents down an entirely different path in a different country with a different culture and an entirely different religion. He didn't choose his parents and he didn't choose to be raised in a cult. But he is and he needs to learn how to deal with it and extricate himself from it.

DA Morgan
#14899 09/02/06 03:52 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
And i say "good luck to him."

#14900 09/04/06 03:25 PM
T
Tim Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm sorry guys. As I said earlier, I have been humbled and realized that arguing with you guys won't do anything. It takes death of self to bring reconcilliation which is what I'm doing. I will let you say all that you want about me. I will love you either way and more than you know, because He first loved me. So I'm showing you guys that love; and I pray for your salvation and softening of hearts every day.
P.S. I do go to a public school contrary to what DA might think.

#14901 09/04/06 03:26 PM
T
Tim Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Oh yeah, I almost forgot; here's the website that I made. You don't have to go to it, but I thought one of you guys here might want to: www.freewebs.com/biblicalcreation

#14902 09/04/06 10:14 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Tim, you continue to talk about anything except actual science. Is it your conviction that God wants you to be an ignoramous?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.