Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#14762 09/19/06 01:16 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Once again, here it is. Please read it carefully. I'm trying to do real research and I don't have time to keep answering the same question over and over. Here's what I posted twice before:

"However, now that this new set of genes is dominant, the birth of every set of offspring brings yet another opportunity for genes to be altered. The alterations can happen in a number of ways. (In some micro-organisms there is also gene exchange between them. This helps to explain why viruses and bacteria can adapt so quickly.)

This population with the new dominant gene then acquires another mutation eventually that confers even more advantage - probably that mutation has nothing to do with the first one. There may be several beneficial mutations (and many bad ones) before another mutation occurs that would add some benefit to the first beneficial mutation - but over time, there is no reason to think that this would not permit the development of new organs any more than there is cause to doubt that drops added to a cup would eventually fill it."

Once a beneficial gene enters the gene-pool, there is no regular mechanism for it to disappear other than mass-extinction. The question you ought to be asking yourself is this: how could the mutations NOT accumulate? Short of a change in environment (the selection criteria), there is no mechanism for them to vanish.

"If you can't, then you MUST retract your statement."
I'll quit spouting intelligence when you quit spouting osteo-cranial nonsense.

#14763 09/21/06 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trilobyte:
Quote:
Originally posted by soilguy:
Quote:
I have answered you,
Where have you answered me?
Remember claiming that you have doesn't make it so.

Once again I will make this offer to you....If you can present the post(s) where you answered the question I will cease from posting on this board.

My hunch is you can't.
Your hunch??? How many times have I said that mutations do not occur randomly throughout the genome? That fact alone blows your probabilities out of the water. Your probability argument is also destroyed by the fact that it relies on all mutations being point mutations.

You also keep asking how mutations can accumulate, given your probabilities. How on Earth could they NOT accumulate, REGARDLESS of whether your probabilities have any validity? Where would they go? How would they be dropped?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#14764 09/23/06 01:00 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Amaranth Rose:
trilobyte, your question HAS been answered, repeatedly and politely. If you are so stubborn as to refuse to see the truth when it's staring you in the face perhaps you'd better find another place to post your nonsense.

Amaranth
Amaranth, I present you with the same challenge...show me where it has been answered and I will stop posting here.

Untill then I have yo assume you are replying in a bigoted fashion...and don't really have a clue.

So once again...where has it been answered?

#14765 09/23/06 01:03 AM
T
OP Offline
T
TheFallibleFiend posted this garbage as an answer....

This population with the new dominant gene then acquires another mutation

Then acquires another mutation???????? HOW?????

Why do you EVOS continue to dodge the simple question then claim you have answered it?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

#14766 09/23/06 11:43 PM
Quote:
TheFallibleFiend posted this garbage as an answer....

This population with the new dominant gene then acquires another mutation

Then acquires another mutation???????? HOW?????

Why do you EVOS continue to dodge the simple question then claim you have answered it?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
The problem might be that no one can understand why you're asking such elementary and nonsensical questions, when even getting involved in the debate requires knowledge of basic biology. What on Earth do you mean "how???" Are you completely unaware of the types of mutations that exist, or what? If so, here's a treat for you:

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/mutationsanddisorders/possiblemutations

Now run down to your nearest university and enroll in Bio 101, and stop being silly.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#14767 09/24/06 12:59 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello...soilguy???????

No one denies mutations happen.

The problem is that YOU can't explain how they add up....which presents quite a problem for your ...theory, oops, I meant speculation.

#14768 09/24/06 06:09 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
FF: "This population with the new dominant gene then acquires another mutation"

troll asks, somewhat disingenuously:
"Then acquires another mutation???????? HOW?????"

You think mutations stop after one gene is altered?

"Why do you EVOS continue to dodge the simple question then claim you have answered it?"

Because it was answered and you are too lazy or too stupid to understand it.

#14769 09/25/06 02:29 PM
Quote:
Hello...soilguy???????

No one denies mutations happen.

The problem is that YOU can't explain how they add up....which presents quite a problem for your ...theory, oops, I meant speculation.
:rolleyes: How old are you? Were you sick the year when basic genetics reared its ugly head in science class? I was first exposed to this stuff in 7th or 8th grade science class.

If you can't be convinced that genetic material is passed from parents to offspring, you should be ashamed of your ignorance. If a mutation arises in the sex cells of a parent's genetic material, that mutation is "recorded" in DNA and passed on.

I'm not going to transcribe a textbook here for you. You wouldn't believe anything I post anyway. You've already rejected the websites of two major universities and the Journal of Medical Genetics.

You're making a fool of yourself, trilobyte.

--S. Lewis
#14770 09/25/06 03:57 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Soilguy,

The purpose of creationists is not to win. They know they can't do this. The purpose of creationists is to create the illusion of scientific controversy.

There is no controversy amongst actual scientists.

#14771 09/25/06 07:25 PM
TFF: That's certainly the purpose of the leaders of the creationist movement. Whether that's trilobyte's purpose or whether he honestly believes the nonsense he spews is not something I know for sure.

So far, he's:

-introduced bogus probabilities;
-attempted to change the subject when his point was being shredded;
-used the classic argument from complexity;
-rejected sources that were clearly written by authorities on the subject;
-introduced the red herring of "how can mutations add up";
-exhibited a shocking lack of knowledge.

He's similar to all the creationists with whom I've argued. Now I'm waiting for the ad hominem attack, the bifurcation and the out-of-context quotes.

--S. Lewis
#14772 09/25/06 08:33 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Soilguy is a pretty strange fellow....what he claims I will do.....such as.... hominem attack, the bifurcation and the out-of-context quotes...soilguy has already done towards me.

Now what does that tell you?

#14773 09/25/06 09:10 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Trilo: "Soilguy is a pretty strange fellow....what he claims I will do.....such as.... hominem attack, the bifurcation and the out-of-context quotes...soilguy has already done towards me."

It tells me is that you manufacture facts, as well as statistics.

#14774 09/25/06 09:14 PM
Quote:
Soilguy is a pretty strange fellow....what he claims I will do.....such as.... hominem attack, the bifurcation and the out-of-context quotes...soilguy has already done towards me.

Now what does that tell you?
Why don't you show me where I did these things? The entire record of any interchange we've had is here on this site, so it should be easy for you to do if you're telling the truth.

--S. Lewis
#14775 09/26/06 01:52 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I think this thread is over...considering you never answered the question...
creationist 1
evos 0

#14776 09/26/06 02:29 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Don't be modest, the score is
creationist - half a dozen at least
evos 0

But what your counting is the number of idiotic assertions and poor reasonings.

#14777 09/26/06 01:01 PM
I suspect trilobyte is sleeping with the score keeper.

--S. Lewis
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.