Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
y Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
What is the purpose of Long term memory (say 10 years or longer).

If something is important enough to remember, then it would be performed more often, therefore making a memory of a previous previous use of that performance unnecessary.

So what purpose, in the Evolutionary scheme of things does a Long term memory ability have.

Also: if other mammals have this same ability then it would seem that this ability must have developed before primates were separated from other mammals. (otherwise it would be too much of a conincidence for two different orders of life to have developed the same [un-needed]ability).

y
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
y wrote:
"If something is important enough to remember, then it would be performed more often, therefore making a memory of a previous previous use of that performance unnecessary."

Are you serious?

Let us take a quick trip down memory lane to a time about 25,000 years ago.

I was attacked by a saber toothed kittycat 12 years ago when I was age 14. Now I am 24, ten years later for those who are math challenged, and I've no need to remember things that happened a full ten years ago I'll just say nice kitty ... nice kitty ... can I scratch you behind the ears?

I'd have lived a lot longer, I guess, had I been attacked by predators more often.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.