Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14093 03/07/06 09:48 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Reviewing my quotes database and came upon one I just had to post for the thread it will provoke.

"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.

The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."

~ Robert Heinlein

DA Morgan
#14094 03/08/06 12:19 AM
R
Ric Offline
R
hehe... THats a good one.

I've always liked:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

"The first Human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
#14095 03/08/06 09:29 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
Actually, inventing 'god' is incredibly intelligent. Consider the most ignorant people on earth, not stupid, ignorant, now watch their reasoning:
They see that they infilict order upon nature -> they see they are ordered (as in their body)-> they assume they were created -> they see that they have the power to destroy their creations -> they try to make friends with their 'creator' -> they dream -> they notice a sleeping person is similar to a dead person -> they assume death is a permanent dream or what have you. (Later when the race has evolved a few generations and they are a little less ignorant) they 'know' that 'god' is watching over them -> this makes them feel comfortable -> feeling comfortable is good -> keep feeling comfortble.

Oh and plus; the wise-woman of the village said that god exists so he must exist. This is the wise-woman we're talking about here.

#14096 03/08/06 10:57 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Thanks Ric. I've added it to my database.

Rob you take huge leaps of fantasy based on nothing of substance. If it wasn't with your mind rather than your body you'd fall and get hurt.

DA Morgan
#14097 03/09/06 02:36 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Oh well, far be it from me to not join in the sharing:

"Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated. The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure of all that is there."

- Einstein.

"Have you read Emil Ludwig's book on Jesus?"

"Emil Ludwig's Jesus is shallow. Jesus is too colossal for the pen of phrasemongers, however artful. No man can dispose of Christianity with a bon mot."

"You accept the historical Jesus?"

"Unquestionably! No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."

- Einstein (Interview in the Saturday Evening Post 1929).

Blacknad.

#14098 03/09/06 02:40 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
More Einstein -

"Being a lover of freedom...I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom, but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks. Only the church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing the truth. I never had any special interest in the church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly."

Blacknad.

#14099 03/09/06 08:24 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
DA Morgan, what I wrote was based in the days before science.
And that wasn't as you say, a leap of fantasy, but a carefully calculated psychological insight into the minds of the time.

#14100 03/09/06 09:05 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
"a carefully calculated psychological insight into the minds of the time."

- Where is your evidence showing that you even have a glimpse into the thought progression of these ancient people?

It may well be carefully calculated, but it seems to me that it's more of a psychological insight into your own mind.

Blacknad.

#14101 03/09/06 11:16 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
"The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious"

And for a woman, I presume, it is just finding someone that will take out the trash and not throw their towels on the floor.

You make the mistake of taking Einstein, a genius in physics and math, and using him as an expert witness on a subjet on which he has no standing. Do you ask Paris Hilton about relativity and the Pope about dressing like a slut?

Blacknad wrote to Rob:
"It may well be carefully calculated, but it seems to me that it's more of a psychological insight into your own mind."

I concur.

DA Morgan
#14102 03/09/06 11:48 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
Dude, what is it with you and Paris Hilton?

#14103 03/10/06 12:22 AM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
DA - "You make the mistake of taking Einstein, a genius in physics and math, and using him as an expert witness on a subjet on which he has no standing. Do you ask Paris Hilton about relativity and the Pope about dressing like a slut?"

- It seems to me that Einstein has as much right to a hearing on the subject as Heinlein does.

Blacknad.

#14104 03/10/06 03:24 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Rob asks:
"Dude, what is it with you and Paris Hilton?"

She is the poster child for why America is going the way of the democracies that preceeded her.

Blacknad wrote:
"It seems to me that Einstein has as much right to a hearing on the subject as Heinlein does."

The difference being that no one misunderstands who Heinlein was and tries to attribute to him genius. If you wanted an equal to Heinlein you could have chosen some other SciFi author.

DA Morgan
#14105 03/10/06 08:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah. Another Sci-Fi writer. Like Jack Williamson, for example.

#14106 03/10/06 12:06 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Ok then.

?I remember that milk fondly. We were not living too high on the hog.?

- Jack Williamson.

Blacknad.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.