Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13766 11/19/05 06:14 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design" isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate in the United States.

The Rev. George Coyne, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said placing intelligent design theory alongside that of evolution in school programs was "wrong" and was akin to mixing apples with oranges.

Source:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10101394/

Which pretty much means that anyone that can't figure out what is going on must be the result of UNintelligent design.

DA Morgan
#13767 11/19/05 10:52 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Rev Coyne - "Intelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be...."

I am glad to see that someone on the religious side is talking sense.

I'm also glad that we don't have this issue in the UK - ID is not science and should not be allowed to usurp science's rightful place.

Also, reading the feature article on the war against science, I am deeply troubled by many things about Bush, but this deliberate confounding of the science to support moral assertions is a disgrace. Why bother having moral beliefs when you are prepared to be immoral in applying them? That kind of selectivity is highly dangerous.

Regards,

Blacknad.

#13768 11/20/05 04:19 AM
P
P
I am personally not very impressed by the fact that the Vatican took a stand on this issue, even though they took the "right stand". They have taken so many other idiotic stands,on so many important issues, that this one might go unnoticed, even if it is right.

Not to mention the fact that the statement is more than self-serving. A religious power stating that other religious teachings are wrong. Hm,correct me if I'm wrong, but they've been doing this ever since the Council of Nicaea some 1500 years ago, with various means and in various ways.

And Blacknad, it is not Bush that should worry you. What is more worrisome is that he got elected as a president...

#13769 11/21/05 02:00 AM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Are we on the right board? Is it logical to push the religious zealots off to the Origins Board but encourage the anti religious zealots to open subjects that, by my view, are intended to antagonize their adversaries? I agree that what the church does, may at times, be news worthy. Is this the place for it?

Why do we continue to blend politics and religion with what is alleged to be science. I have some special thoughts about Clinton but I would not think it appropriate for this Forum. OTOH if the door is open let?s go for it- did Clinton?s failures put us in Iraq?

jjw

#13770 11/21/05 03:07 AM
B
B
Science (evolution) birthed all human culture including religion, politics, etc., etc. I find it interesting and helpful to keep this in mind as I learn about things. E.O. Wilson calls it "consilience".

VB

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita mi ritrovai per una selva oscura, ch? la diritta via era smarrita. salimmo s?, el primo e io secondo tanto ch'i' vidi de le cose belle che porta 'l ciel, per un pertugio tondo. E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.
#13771 11/21/05 04:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This started out as an article about a Vatican scientist making a statement about Intelligent Design. If there is a problem with it, I can have it sent to the other board. Political remarks are allowed within context. Keep in mind that they are expression of personal opinions and not scientific conclusions. I will allow it to go on as long as there are no complaints from the forumites. I don't always agree with what I read, but I'll defend to the death your right to speak your peace--but not necessarily on this forum, if you catch my meaning. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.