Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#13702 01/18/06 01:50 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
I never implied that quarks are infinitely small. I implied that they are infinitely divisible.

Let me expand on my theory of being in the middle. Say I were to be alive at the time and observe Marilyn Monroe. Since we're already talking fantasy say I were to download all my consciousness into an atom on her lip, I would be seeing what can only be described as a landscape. All that she is saying and thinking would merely be movement in the atoms. Sound is a wave through particles, I would be part of that wave.
On the other hand I could become as big as a planet and now she would be a single shiny grain of sand on a beach. Once again I would not hear anything she has to say. How can one person contact the world? How can one atom contact a person? The answer is it cannot. That is why the only way you can talk to her would be if you were at that exact same level -our level -we do not have a name for it. There are other levels, cells, quarks solar systems, enzymes, societies, networks...
Each of these levels are in the middle, from their point of view. If I were an atom I would be in the middle, If I were a person -observing an atom, I would be in the middle and the atom would be below me on the scale.

P.S. My theory on infinite divisibility has support, I am sure that you are aware of this. Real scientists believe in it also so I am not talking rubbish.

#13703 01/18/06 04:00 PM
J
J
Reality is fascinating.

~Justine~
#13704 01/18/06 04:16 PM
J
J
This link says quarks are elementary.

http://www.desy.de/f/hera/engl/chap4.html

~Justine~
#13705 01/18/06 04:18 PM
J
J
I guess even if the Universe has a size and a quark has a size....they are so extreme they may as well be infinite.

And I like your description, Rob of the levels and perspectives of reality smile It still works whether or not quarks are infinitely divisible.

~Justine~
#13706 01/19/06 01:15 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Ok, forget my crappy 1ast attempt to explain my theory. Here's a much better one. Put the universe on a graph. First of all we have infinite matter so we draw a y-axis. Then, on every level of consciousness we draw an x-axis because time only matters when we have consciousness. Here is my rough idea of the orders from smallest; ????, quarks, sub atomic particles, atoms, molecules, advanced molecules (DNA), cells, tissue, organs, systems, our level, societies, communities, cities, states, countries, continents, the world, solar systems, galaxies , galaxy clusters, universes, universe clusters, ????

So you see there are many origins on this one axis, all operating at their own levels. What I think you meant earlier on when you asked where we were on this scale was where are we from the one true origin - the ultimate origin. There is no such thing as this ultimate origin because we are dealing with infinity. Sorry.

#13707 01/19/06 02:29 PM
J
J
What about on a scale between cells and our galaxy? Or the scale between the smallest thing we can see with our naked eye and the largest thing we can see with our naked eye?

~Justine~
#13708 01/19/06 07:08 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Well, you can work that out yourself, but to be very specific you would probably need to speak to a scientist or something. Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble, why do you want to know this anyway?

#13709 01/23/06 07:13 PM
J
J
Well, I guess I was just thinking that if we were exactly in the middle. And as human brains we are the most complex thing in the middle. And we are the only self-aware complex thing.
....Well, it just makes us seem important somehow.

It makes reality possibly a backdrop for self-awareness.

~Justine~
#13710 01/23/06 08:39 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
"And as human brains we are the most complex thing in the middle."

No.

" And we are the only self-aware complex thing."

No.

"Well, it just makes us seem important somehow."

No.

"It makes reality possibly a backdrop for self-awareness."

And No.

#13711 01/24/06 12:56 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
To Justine:

We are absolutely and unequivocably not exactly in the middle. We are of no consequence except to ourselves.

We are absolutely complex. Extraordinarily complex. Far more complex than an atom or a galaxy. But that doesn't make us more complex than any other vertebrate lifeform. More hypocritical. More involved in self-deception. More likely to self-destruct. But not more complex.

The only Self-aware .... as Rob says hardly. You are not more self-aware than the cat sitting on my lap and I would argue possibly less so. The cat doesn't need to create an artificial construct, ancient superior sentient beings to get through its day.

And important? Gawd how I hate it when people say that. I just want to take them out to the woodshed and find a switch. It is attitudes like that that have led to just about every human evil from the Inquisition to the concentration camps.

This is for you Justine:

I know all I need to know about my fate
One day I will die
The only matter of consequence before me
Is what to do with my allotted time.
I can stand on the shore
Paralyzed by fear
Or I can raise my sails
And dip and soar with the breeze
~ First have to row a little boat

But a 24 foot sailboat. Take her 1000 miles offshore. And then tell us how important you are.
Your "self-awareness" is a "self-deception."

DA Morgan
#13712 01/24/06 12:52 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
"We are absolutely complex. Extraordinarily complex. Far more complex than an atom or a galaxy."

And this is coming from the person who once said; "you can not comment on that which has not yet been discovered."

#13713 01/24/06 01:54 PM
J
J
I found something for you guys, DA and Rob. And others I think will enjoy, as well.

free inquiry magazine
http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?page=index&section=fi

~Justine~
#13714 01/24/06 02:17 PM
J
J
And I appreciate your poem. I "get it" smile

Along the shore,
The magnificence of the ocean overwhelms me,
But, I'm only alone when I ponder too deeply.

If I open my eyes and look around,
There seems as many other swimmers,
As there are grains of sand,
Along the shore.

~Justine~
#13715 01/24/06 08:08 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I don't think you got it.

You seem to be living a very safe insulated life and using teddy bear and candy cane images to existance.

Put down the new age nonsense and go experience the reality of existance. Stop being a voyeur.

DA Morgan
#13716 01/26/06 03:26 PM
J
J
Nope, I get you and you don't get me. That's all.

There's nothing insulated about looking around and seeing that even if there is no God, there are still alot of people around to share life with. That was the point of my poem. It was a poem written from an Atheist perspective.

And there IS a great deal of nonsense in newage ideologies I don't argue that point. There's a great deal of nonsense in all Religions, too.

But there's nonsense in the thought that our lives makes no sense, as well. From a pure Anti-Theist view...where is the sense in humans existing at all? We are not good for the planet. We are killing the planet. We are killing each other. What makes sense about that? It's hopeless nonsense, too. We ARE the nonsense in that case.
If you want to believe that you are nonsense...be my guest.

I just haven't made up my mind as to which nonsense I want to live my life by. But, I'm glad I have the freedom to think about my choices.

~Justine~
#13717 01/26/06 05:02 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Justine wrote:
"But there's nonsense in the thought that our lives makes no sense"

Absolutely true. But to equate a lack of some theology with "make no sense" quite frankly makes no sense. It is a statement lacking in substance built on a foundation of quicksand. Words without content.

Take this sentence of yours for example: "From a pure Anti-Theist view...where is the sense in humans existing at all?"

Do you really believe this? Do you really believe that there is no sense in my cat's existing? How about the grass on my lawn or the oak tree in the yard? They don't live by some philosophy or theology sold to them by a priest. Would perhaps a few kilos of plutonium would be morally acceptable to you to save them from their miserable existence?

The truth is that a very large number of people don't use self-deception and crutches to bring meaning to their lives. They don't need someone else to tell them what is right and wrong. They don't need a police officer to keep them from stealing, the threat of eternal damnation or not being part of the woo-woo-nonsense-d'jour to keep them saying please and thank-you. If you do then deal with it. But try to deal with your own self-deception and not to sell your brand of toilet paper to everyone.

Your protests to the contrary aside ... I don't believe you have ever actually experienced life. Never lived in a third-world country, ever gone a day not knowing how to get shoes on your feet, whether the next bullet had your name on it, wondering where your next meal would come from, or even sailing a little boat.

I'm not suggesting you join the Marine Corp. or move to Mali. But I am suggesting you find some way to experience something that isn't pre-packaged.

DA Morgan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.