Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13277 09/02/05 05:25 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Another bit of evidence supporting the fact that life is a normal and natural consequence of the chemistry and physics of the universe.

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn7895

Space radiation preferentially destroys specific forms of amino acids, the most realistic laboratory simulation to date has found. The work suggests the molecular building blocks that form the "left-handed" proteins used by life on Earth took shape in space, bolstering the case that they could have seeded life on other planets.

DA Morgan
#13278 09/02/05 06:54 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
The Weak Interaction is 100% left-handed. Energetic beta-decay (~50keV and larger energies) gives chiral relativistic electrons. The higher the energy the greater the chiral excess. As they collide with and decompose the neighborhood their energy drops. Non-relativistic beta-rays have helicity not chirality. Early interactions give chiral excess in the products.

Willam Bonner, among others, in the 1970s demonstrated that chiral beta-rays preferentally decomposed one optical isomer of a given racemic amino acid mixture. Review article:

Chirality 12(3) 114-26 (2000)

Cosmic sources of deep UV and relativistic electrons tend to give chiral excesses in their emissions. One then has a consistent pervasive natural mechanism for a pan-cosmic excess of one optical isomer in alpha-amino acids when life starts poking around.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#13279 09/02/05 10:50 PM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Another bit of evidence supporting the fact that life is a normal and natural consequence of the chemistry and physics of the universe.
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Al:
The Weak Interaction is 100% left-handed.

Cosmic sources of deep UV and relativistic electrons tend to give chiral excesses in their emissions. One then has a consistent pervasive natural mechanism for a pan-cosmic excess of one optical isomer in alpha-amino acids when life starts poking around.
At last,...both your above letters, plus the previous topic "Proof that God did not create life", is confirming to us all, that DNA arose as a consequence of the physics of the natural universe.
Keep looking for these 'natural gems', the final proof is not too distant

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#13280 09/03/05 12:23 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Neither, no doubt, is the inquisition. ;-)

BTW: I'll be in London end of October and the
first week in November. Wanted to wait until
the weather got better.

DA Morgan
#13281 10/19/05 01:37 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
"Another bit of evidence supporting the fact that life is a normal and natural consequence of the chemistry and physics of the universe."

Do we NEED evidence? what else could it be?

#13282 10/31/05 06:01 PM
None of this really proves that some unknown entity didn't *create life*. It is just another thing that shows the magic sky-daddy notion of god is proposterous.

A number of years ago, a creationist I was arguing with used left-handed chirality as "a fact that evolution could not explain." That's when it first dawned on me that the word "evolution" was a synonym for "all of science" for these people.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#13283 11/09/05 12:35 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
That's funny.
I've had many arguments with creationists as well; their ignorance never ceases to amaze me. I frequently ask the obvious question; "who created the creator" to which they duly reply "no-one, he was just always there!" Then I ask why everything 'he created' couldn't have always been there. That shuts them up.

#13284 11/09/05 04:40 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Come on Rob ... nothing shuts them up. ;-)

Ask them why men have nipples if they were intelligently designed.

Of course you could always just ask most women whether men were intentionally designed too but they often are too polite to say what they are thinking.

DA Morgan
#13285 11/10/05 02:59 AM
R
Ric Offline
R
Wow... thats extremley interesting. I'm so glad this forum exists. smile

I too am amazed by how creationists can be so ignorant, but I would not waste my time arguing with one. You won't win. No matter what you say, they will not belive you. Might as well leave them be.

I personally know several women who would tell you men aren't intelligently designed. smile

"The first Human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
#13286 11/10/05 04:22 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
Has anyone else noticed how almost all women are women chauvinists?

#13287 11/10/05 04:48 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Has anyone else noticed how almost all men make broad generalizations?

DA Morgan
#13288 11/10/05 09:37 PM
R
Ric Offline
R
I hope your not talking about me... I'm not a woman.

Has anyone else noticed how Rob doesn't seem to contribute anything useful to these conversations?

"The first Human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
#13289 11/10/05 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ric:
I too am amazed by how creationists can be so ignorant, but I would not waste my time arguing with one. You won't win. No matter what you say, they will not belive you. Might as well leave them be.
It's true that you won't change the mind of a dedicated creationist, but what I sometimes find is that a person is just woefully uninformed and essentially a scientific illiterate. These people should be handled with kid gloves.

Other than that, arguing with a died-in-the-wool creationist can serve to refresh my arguing skills and my limited knowledge of biology. Also, if you argue in a public message board, other people do pay attention and then start asking pertinent questions.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#13290 11/10/05 10:53 PM
"Has anyone else noticed how almost all women are women chauvinists?"

-Sadly posted by "Rob".

"Has anyone else noticed how Rob doesn't seem to contribute anything useful to these conversations?"

-Insightfully posted by "Ric". True indeed.

So, Rob, are you saying that MOST women are man-hating lesbian feminazis? To paraphrase from DA, "it is a marvel that you can connect to the internet". Indeed it is.

Sincerely, laugh

p.s. Sorry Rose if this is off-topic, but I could not resist.

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
#13291 11/11/05 05:39 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
ROFL

DA Morgan
#13292 11/11/05 11:58 AM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
Ric,
I wasn't talking about you, and I didn't assume you were a woman.
So, I don't contribute anything useful to 'these' conversations do I? Do you mean I've never posted anything useful in general, or do you mean I never post anything useful on specific topics?
Plese tell me.

"you saying that MOST women are man-hating lesbian feminazis"
No, in fact, I don't even think that all women are women chauvinists. To explain the motive behind my post; I was merely trying to start one of those amusing 'men vs women' debates. I'd also like to take this oppertunity to point out Soilguy's signature.

#13293 11/11/05 12:55 PM
G
G
Dear "Amaranth Rose"

Thank you for moving "The Origins Of Life"
thread to the appropriate "Origins" board.

Great idea! Cheers!

#13294 11/11/05 04:00 PM
R
Ric Offline
R
Well then I apologize Rob.

#13295 11/11/05 09:56 PM
G
G
The Origins of Life
"Teaching Origins of Life"

November 9, 2005

Last night the Kansas Board of Education voted to adopt a new science curriculum for some state schools. The highly publicized decision is the first in the country.

George Ochs, the K-12 coordinator for science curriculum in the Washoe County School District, says they have strict standards regarding the science curriculum approved each year and mandated by the state for schools throughout Nevada to follow. "Science teachers are required to teach the scientific standards and the standards are very specific on what students should know and be able to do."

State standards require broad concepts about evolution actually begin in kindergarten with students learning to observe the world around them and try to sort things out in groupings.

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/1847831.html

#13296 11/12/05 03:57 AM
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:

ROFL
DIDO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.