Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Z
Z
Quote:
Originally posted by ZORK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZORK:
[qb] Think big, don't think about details. Some times I think that scientists spend too much time looking down a microscope and fail to see the big picture.
Dr. Senge in The Fifth Discipline. wrote "So it should come as no surprise that the unhealthiness of our world today is in direct proportion to our inability to see it as a whole." (Self-centred thinking) (Systems Thinking) Fragmentary thinking becomes systemic when we recover 'the memory of the whole'.... Competition becomes cooperation when we discover the 'community nature of the self'.... "In the new systems worldview, we move from the primacy of pieces to the primacy of the whole, from absolute truths to coherent interpretations, from self to community....

Actions have consequences, when we make decisions it is important to consider the interests of everyone. So many problems have occured because of people concentrating on their own self-interests. They may solve one problem, but in turn create many more problems in the process.

Ps. 119:18 "Open my eyes, so that I may see the wonderful truths in your law."

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
If there is a point in what you just posted it eludes me completely.

DA Morgan
P
P
D.A. Morgan, I've checked out that site which talks about the puzzle of DNA structures and it certainly does not corroborate your belief that God does not exist. In fact it only goes to show the wonder of God's creations which cannot be fathomed by man. What we think is intelligence is amoeboid to God. Why do you have this obsession with trying to prove God does not exist. Do you really think you can make a fart and your gas will evolve into some animal. Surely in your intelligence you KNOW that God exists. Wake up Mr. Morgan to reality.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
A web site about DNA corraborating the creator of the universe? Wow you have a vivid imagination. I usually get my vital information about such matters from coloring books and ouija boards.

"The wonder of God's creation?" What have you been smoking? Your perfect deity created mistakes? Did he do it intentionally or is he just a bumbling fool?

If what I think of as intelligence is amoeboid to your god then that might well help to explain why he might in his ultimate wisdom have chosen to create smallpox. I guess I'm just to damned stupid to understand the wonder that is a child crippled by polio. All hail the creator of hell on earth.

I don't have any obsession to prove god does not exist. I have an obsession to argue against willfull and wanton ignorance. I have an obsession to argue against the primary causes of genocide and torture on this planet. If, by happenstance, that includes your faceless genocidal maniac then he can join the toothfairy, dragons, ghosts, and a host of other inventions of drug-induced psychoses.

I doubt my rectal excretions will generate life but then I don't recall any scientist claiming they might. Neither will the gas between your ears apparently generate a sentient conclusion.

I swear an oath upon all I hold sacred that your idea of God is pure unadulterated nonsense: The product of evolution of animist gods created by people blown out of their conscious minds by peyote, Aminita muscaria, psilocybin, and a few other mind-benders.

You ask me to wake up to reality? Good grief man have you been paying any attention to anything since the day of your birth?

The boiling point of water exists. Everyone no matter their nationality or religion can come to the same conclusion.

The sun gives off light and heat. Everyone no matter their nationality or religion can come to the same conclusion.

Your god doesn't even come close to measuring up to the same level of existence as what I just put down my garbage disposal.

But fear not ... if he did ... I would gladly stand up in front of him and demand he do unto himself as he has done unto others. He would be the creator of all that is evil and foul. He wouold be the creator of the snake, the apple, and I don't bow down to or worship evil incarnate.

You are a fool or worse.

But if, by chance you disagree with me, by all means please entertain us by explaining how it came to pass that your god created smallpox and malaria and polio.

DA Morgan
Z
Z
You must be thinking of a different God. Who said that God had to intervene in everything.
What would be the point of that?

Z
Z
There is an interesting website on the shroud of Turin (Believed to be the buriel cloth of christ) for whoever is interested.

http://www.shroudstory.com/

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Zork wrote:
"Who said that God had to intervene in everything."

Zork ... find a single statement I made that indicates I would want god, were such an entity to exist ... to intervene.

That theoretical god created smallpox, malaria, TB, leukemia, polio, diptheria, AIDS, .... I don't want intervention. I'd like an explanation: A justification ... for an act of pure evil.

The Shroud of Turin was determined to be a fraud by the Roman Catholic Church. That's good enough for me. Funny thing about the site you linked to ... not a single mention of the scientific examination of the cloth. But if you're interested I have a waffle in my freezer that has the image of the Virgin Mary on it.

DA Morgan
Z
Z
If you even cared to look, you would see that there have been numerous scientific tests that have been carried out on the shroud. (Forensically tested, Carbon 14 dating, Chemical Analysis, UV photograph analysis, Photomicrograph Analysis - all shown on website), the shroud has been heavily scrutinized.
A bungle that scientists made was testing only a small fragment of the shroud-- seemed like rushed job to me (How conclusive can you get?). What methodology did they use? Did you know that they reasessed the shroud. But rather than just looking at a single piece they tested several other pieces of the shroud, and found that the shroud is much older- in fact just around AD.

(This is a lesson for science-
It is just one of many examples of how scientists can make mistakes - By using flawed techniques, looking at one part, but failing to see the whole)---Your narrow mind is mind boggling son! (OPEN YOUR EYES AND MIND- You only see half-the truth)

I ask you this question, and this alone. Can you explain to me WHY disease started? Not HOW? but WHY? What was the root cause? Please give me a valid explanation? If I get one I will no longer post any further comments on this online forum.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Zork wrote:
"all shown on website"

Let me remind you that the web site you referenced is shroudstory.com.

What lack of critical thinking skills would make you think that a website run be religious zealots and dedicated to promoting the shroud would be a reliable source of information?

Do you get your news about politics from Karl Rove? Do you get your nutrition new from the fine people that make Twinkies?

DA Morgan
P
P
[Inappropriate content deleted]

Philege, if you can't keep a calm, rational outlook and actually discuss Science, I will have to bar you from the Forum. Your histrionics and cursing are not appropriate and I have edited three of your messages tonight. Please do heed my warning.

"Amaranth"

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
If he existed ... if he could ... he would.

But you might wish to apply some critical thinking skills before you condemning me to burn at the stake.

If your god exists then:

1. Your god created satan
2. Your god created me in his image
3. Your god gave me the critical thinking skills by which I point out that he is evil incarnate
4. Your god created the mistakes and bungling I point to such as errors in DNA coding
5. Your god created polio, anthrax, smallpox, malaria, and childhood leukemia
6. Your god killed every person on this planet except the members of one family including newborn innocent children
7. Your god killed every first-born male in an entire country including newborn innocent children
8. Your god's church has been responsible for genocide

Which all makes you, by your own description, a sycophant toadying up to the greatest evil in the entire universe and proclaiming that you think all of the above are the kinds of behaviour one would expect from a loving father. No doubt more deadly diseases to render painful death to children would be a sign of even more love in your book.

Let me demonstrate to you the incredible level of gross hypocrisy your god possesses and I will do so with his own words:

"Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life (Genesis 3:14)"

Let me get this straight ... what the serpent did?
Who made the serpent?
Who put the serpent in the garden?
Who made the tree?
Who made two flawed humans?
Who, while claiming to be perfect, didn't know the outcome in advance or knew and didn't intervene?
And finally ...
Who demonstrated a total lack of compassion and forgiveness toward all?

And the correct answer is:
Your god.

But there is, of course, a simple solution. He could do unto himself what he has done so many times to others. And if he did I would gladly turn the other cheek.

PS: Philege: You have a bit of a problem here. Either:

1. Your lord is incapable of rebuking satan or me or anyone or anything else
or
2. Your lord is pleased as punch that we are pointing out that he is a genocidal maniac with an open affection for pain and blood.

Given that all of your prayers with respect to me go unanswered it seems the one being rebuked ... is you. Now there's something to think on while falling asleep tonight.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Philege wrote:
"D. A. Morgan, you created these diseases with your filthy hatred of God."

Amazing how powerful I am. Powerful enough to create life. Powerful enough to pee up god's pantsleg. He may be able to flood the planet but he can't lay a finger on me. Damn I'm good.

If your god has compassion ... why didn't he let the snake keep his legs and give Adam and Eve a second chance? Got yah!

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Philege wrote:
"Blacknad and you other crusaders, how can you allow this man to mock your Lord and you say nothing, it is worse than giving the other cheek. Let us rebuke the works of the evil one."

Gosh this is fun. You and Osama bin Laden could really be great friends.

Both of you feel compelled to do for god what he is incapable of doing for himself. Once capable of drowning an entire planet for 40 days. Now incapable of giving me a sore finger.

Why don't you get on your knees tonight by the side of your bed, close your eyes, lift your head to heaven, and ask him why he is letting a one year old infant at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center die? I'll check over the weekend and see how compassionate he is.

Kid lives ... I'll apologize. Kid dies ... you apologize. Fair is fair.

DA Morgan
P
P
posted 09 February, 2006 18:22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Inappropriate content deleted]

Philege, if you can't keep a calm, rational outlook and actually discuss Science, I will have to bar you from the Forum. Your histrionics and cursing are not appropriate and I have edited three of your messages tonight. Please do heed my warning.

"Amaranth"
Hi Amaranth,

It seems that you still show unfairness. You may think that what I write is insulting but what about what Dan has written about our God. He is sacred to us. He can also give a rational decent argument without being so offensive and then ofcourse I would be happy to give my opinions, scientific or otherwise. But I think you also have to rein in D. A. Morgan when he crosses the line of decency in his filthy remarks.

P
P
Calm yourself, Philege. For your own good.

"Amaranth"

P
P
Why don't you get on your knees tonight by the side of your bed, close your eyes, lift your head to heaven, and ask him why he is letting a one year old infant at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center die? I'll check over the weekend and see how compassionate he is.

Give me the name of this child and the precise location, and I challenge you too! He will recover.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Philege wrote:
"You may think that what I write is insulting but what about what Dan has written about our God."

I didn't insult your god ... I repeated is very own statements about himself directly from his autobiography. Did he or did he not claim to have created the universe and everything in it? Did he or did he not claim to be the cause of the flood of Noah? Did he or did he not claim to have killed every first born male in Egypt at the time of the Exodus? If the truth is insulting would you prefer your god be honored by lies?

Oh and check out the reaction of Moslems to Danish cartoons. Like I said ... you and bin Laden would likely make great friends.

Philege wrote:
"Yes, God created satan. But He created him perfect"

So your definition of perfection in creation is satan. Congratulations are in complete agreement. That which is perfect can not become otherwise ... because were it to do so, based on its original perfection ... it must have been the creator's plan. You just make this so much fun.

Philege wrote:
"God gave you like satan your master a free will to choose."

Thus my doing this is by god's design. Who are you to question how we use the gift? Who are you to question god's design? What impudence? What egotism? What sacriledge.

Philege wrote:
nothing in response to the statement by me:
"Your god created polio, anthrax, smallpox, malaria, and childhood leukemia"

Why? What is it about this simple statement of fact that sends you running to hide under the covers? It is the truth and you know it. You can not claim to have created the universe and deny creating smallpox can you.

My use of the lower-case 'g' rather than 'G' is by design and has nothing to do with your fantasy invisible purple rhinoceros. Face the questions with integrity if you can.

And if you wish to hide under the hypcrosy that the case of a 'g' or 'G' makes a difference and claim satan as a god, not God, then you are in violation of the tenants of your own faith. I thought lying was a sin.

Philege wrote:
"Why did God drown the entire world. Read the scriptures. Man had become so wicked that if you had been alive at that time you would have been raped and rendered eternally pigeon toed."

Oh I've read the scripture. In fact I've read the Latin Volgate in its original which I doubt you could even consider. But you are playing games and I'm going to call you on it.

Newborn children were drowned. Were they wicked? One year olds were drowned too. Were they wicked? Dogs, cats, birds, horses, all drowned. Were they wicked too? Was drowning them the ONLY solution or just the one that involved pain and suffering and thus was most appealing to your GOD?

Go ahead ... pray to your GOD ... pray him give me a papercut ... pray he turn me into a glowing cinder ... I challenge your GOD to do anything.

Drowned us because we were wicked ... sorry I'm not ready to let that go. Drowned everyone because they were wicked and sat on his furry butt during the holocaust, during the Turkish genocide, during the Cambodian genocide. What a bloody minded hypocrite you worship.

Philege wrote:
"Give me the name of this child and the precise location, and I challenge you too! He will recover."

If your GOD is truly GOD he can bloody well figure it out for himself. Let him figure out which specific child I am referring to or even better let him actually do something decent and cure them all. What a concept. Actually do something helpful rather than hurtful. Bring comfort to a dying child rather than pain. Like I said ... you pray your heart out. I'll be in The Hutch Sunday and will report back on your success or failure.

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
"Blacknad and you other crusaders, how can you allow this man to mock your Lord and you say nothing, it is worse than giving the other cheek. Let us rebuke the works of the evil one."

Philege,

I have had a good constructive discussion with Dan and have learnt to respect him. I agree with many of his points, but not all. I have realised that it all depends upon your starting point - and everything flows from there. We have different paradigms and we therefore interpret information in different ways.

My faith in God is intact and very strong, I have experienced too much of the supernatural - before I came to Christ my life was screwed and I was heavily into witchcraft - I have seen things that leave me in no doubt that 'what we can see is not all there is'.

But I have also decided that SAGG was becoming a bit of an obsession and I need to spend more time engaging in life. So I will not spend so much time defending my beliefs and I am content to know that God is capable of looking after himself. So I just read and learn from SAGG now, there are some excellent current threads on the science board.

Christianity is attacked all over the net, do you want to have a full time occupation of posting in the myriad forums?

And I'm sorry to say that I find your method of defending God to be offensive. You descend to insult, threats and the ridiculous, (come on - how many times does Amaranth have to censor the contents of your posts?). Your challenge to pray for a cancer ridden child and your statement that he/she will be saved because God always answers your prayers sounds pretty much out of line with 'You shall not test the Lord your God'. To me you sound mentally unstable and need a little help connecting with reality. I am sorry to say that to you - but I think it's true.

I seem to remember that you have a failsafe method of winning the lottery - how did that go?

Your answer to Dan's eight statements simply show that you just don't understand what's at the core of his arguments. You need to think more deeply about what he says.

Your answer to number one is theologically incorrect and infers some things that we just cannot know.

And your threat to rot Dan's finger makes me think that you might sympathise with the Muslims's who threaten death to cartoonists.

Blacknad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Philege:
I challenge you now! Dare me to pray to my God for your finger to rot on your hand and I will do so.
I know my prayers never go unanswered. So take up the gauntlet and I will definitely go down on my knees and pray for God to teach you a lesson once and for always. But be warned you may regret the final result.
As Moderator:
This thread is degenerating into threats by Philege against other members. If it does not cease I will take action. There is one thread to discuss god and this is not it.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Blacknad:

I must confess to developing respect for you too.

But I do wish to juxtapose two statements you just made:

1. I have realised that it all depends upon your starting point - and everything flows from there.

2. " before I came to Christ my life was screwed and I was heavily into witchcraft"

This is remarkably true ... another point of agreement. I look at these two statements and what jumps out to me is that you went from one false god to another. From yin to yang. From starboard to port. Never once stopping the balance point in the center. Does this make sense?

And blacknad wrote:
"I am content to know that God is capable of looking after himself."

Another great point of agreement. What strikes me as the grossest of all hypocrisies is humans, be they philege or bin Laden running around defending the creator of the universe from the insignificant statements of a single person. If my free thinking is a threat capable of unravelling the work of a god then that god is a fraud.

What I see in philege's comments is what I see in so many at the cancer treatment centers. People who loudly advertise their faith as a way of covering up the fact that deep in their hearts they are a bundle of fear. It is far harder to hide it all, and ignore facing that reality, when you are not looking down the barrel a gun or an iv bag full of chem agents.

I am hoping that philege comes, as you have done, to be able to get past the rhetoric and engage the sentient conscious thought processes. Stop just reacting with canned sound-bites. Perhaps. We shall see.

DA Morgan
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.