Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Blacknad--
Be not troubled. If the pendulum swings too far it will be given a corrective impulse or two. As long as the discussion is polite and the topic genteel there is latitude granted. When the screaming starts the hammer will drop judiciously and gently as possible. Proselytizing will be eradicated without any reprieve. I'm following this thread as I follow all threads. I read everything that gets posted. If it gets out of hand I know where the button is. wink

"Amaranth"

B
Superstar
Superstar
B

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Be not troubled. If the pendulum swings too far it will be given a corrective impulse or two. As long as the discussion is polite and the topic genteel there is latitude granted. When the screaming starts the hammer will drop judiciously and gently as possible.

Amaranth, you write poetry without even trying. smile

Regards,

Blacknad.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Oy - Everyone,

Amaranth writes some excellent poetry.

Visit - Amaranth Rose

Read 'Crucible' and then just carry on.

Amaranth, I hope you don't mind me pointing people here, but I bet you are too modest to do it.

If you are not happy, feel free to delete the post and please accept my apologies.

King regards,

Blacknad.

Amaranth,
RE: CFIDS

"Despite years of study, there is still no laboratory marker or universal treatment for CFS" - cfid.org

In what ways do you soothe yourself and allay your bereavement? I can not imagine what this condition is like for you. What has it taught you about life, I mean how has it affected your perceptions? Do you have difficulty editing because of potential concentration problems? Will science, hopefully in the near future, be more adroit at eradicating this scourge?

Sincerely,
:rolleyes:

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
Y
Y
Is there any reason why all these God/Man/Creation/Evolution parallel discussions can't just be merged into a single thread?

Or perhaps create a subforum for them, to leave the main discussion forum for science discussion?

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
That would be a good idea.

Regards,

Blacknad.

D
D
Blacknad,
I wish the human race could have offered you the same salvation, comfort or enlightenment that you believe that god did. Probably our honesty about our beliefs is our only claim to serve mankind, thinking that, that honesty embraces faith, hope and charity, while still knowing it might not always be enough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Mung:
Amaranth,
RE: CFIDS

"Despite years of study, there is still no laboratory marker or universal treatment for CFS" - cfid.org

In what ways do you soothe yourself and allay your bereavement? I can not imagine what this condition is like for you. What has it taught you about life, I mean how has it affected your perceptions? Do you have difficulty editing because of potential concentration problems? Will science, hopefully in the near future, be more adroit at eradicating this scourge?

Sincerely,
:rolleyes:
I hope you cannot imagine what it is like to be too physically weak to hold your own child in your arms and to have your mind and everything in it taken away by a capricious virus. At one point for about a year and a half I could not read or write any of the three languages I knew before I fell ill. I could barely speak for stuttering and stammering; I had a message machine answer the phone and got my mother to field calls for me when necessary. An entire very good college education disappeared seemingly into a black hole. I have gotten some parts of it back in bits and pieces, but I am not whole yet.

What has it taught me about life? Every day is a precious gift to be used to its absolute fullest. I do not wait to do any small kindness I can think of for tomorrow I may not be able to think at all. Perhaps most of all I have had to learn that every human being, myself included, has value simply because they exist. I am no longer defined in terms of my vocation, the second question everyone asks when they meet someone, as I have none. I have taken to telling people I'm a cat herder (I have five cats who love me to death) and most people don't get the joke. I had to learn that life comes one day at a time and I live my life as though each one were my last. It gives me incentive to be myself first and foremost and let the chips fall where they may.

Yes, I have difficulty concentrating. I scroll back and forth repeatedly to answer your several questions. I have learned to cope with the challenges CFIDS throws in my path; I have created many work-arounds to obstacles others would not think of as obstacles. Too weak to use the can opener today? Get something out of the freezer to eat. Falling asleep at the computer in the middle of the day? Go to bed for a couple of hours. Road trip? Take lots of caffeine and crisps along. Can't reach the top shelf in the cupboard? Get a pair of tongs or do without it. Live as though you know how and don't worry overmuch about tomorrow; sufficent to each day are the troubles thereof.

Will Science overcome this scourge? Heavens, I hope so. Only if enough research goes into finding the causes. In my case I firmly believe it is due to a viral infection of the brain; as long as I take my antiviral drug the symptoms stay suppressed; when I go off of it they return in force. I have a very good relationship with my doctor and pharmacist. They keep me sane. If research found a cure for this malady I'd be first in line for the cure, even if it were dangerous. I've been through the crucible and I've paid my dues; I'll take what I can get. I may bend, but I will never break; even when the storm is at the worst I never give up hope for the calm afterwards. As bad as things get, and I hope you cannot imagine the depths I have seen, it will pass eventually. As the Bible says, "It came, to pass" and it does pass. I live for the good days and endure the bad ones. Once in a while I get a chance to climb up on a soapbox and educate others. Thanks for the opportunity. I will now return you to your regularly scheduled Forum. wink

"Amaranth"

Amaranth,
Thank you kindly for your time, honesty and openness; I have learned something personal from you.
Sincerely, smile

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
" Of course I cannot. But I know that after a childhood of very intense child abuse at the hands of a schizophrenic step-father, including being bolted in a room for five years and unable to talk with anyone, with a bucket to go to the toilet in, I was a complete and utter mess."

You have my sympathy if the above is true.
Get professional psychiatric help.

DA Morgan
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Blacknad,
Greetings from a fellow survivor. Thanks for sharing your odyssey with us. That took courage and I want to recognize you for that. I hope the rest of your life is no worse than today. I think it gets better with time, but I've only been at it a short time as they say.

"Amaranth"

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Dan,

Thanks but it is not needed, I am no longer affected in any significant way by my past.

'We are neither masters of our future, nor slaves to our past'.

And thank you Amaranth.

Regards,

Blacknad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mung:
You are certainly welcome. If anything I said is enlightening or illuminating then I will not have wasted my time saying it.

"Amaranth"

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
Blacknad, science suffers at the hands of ethics. People would much rather hear something morally correct, awe-inspiring or emotion provoking than hear the real, logical truth. If I were to describe a story of a small girl witnessing her entire family skinned alive, raped and killed by a group of men, yet managing to overcome this and continue with her life, as mere patterns of electrical signals in her brain throughout her life, people wouldn't listen. This is because people deal with the level they are on and not the levels that make it up like cells and atoms and electrons etc.
People also like to believe they everything they do is something meaningful, and that there is always someone that is looking out for them or at least some one who cares for them. (This is why I think you turned to God).
What is it that makes white blood cells in our bodies go to war against pathogens? Why don?t they just save themselves? It?s because they are ?programmed? to fight, they are not thinking, it's in their nature. Why is it that so many humans believe in God? Perhaps it is this belief that helps to get individuals to sacrifice themselves for the greater cause of the planet, and to motivate them to do ?great, meaningful things?.

Though the belief in God is a cruel trick played on us by evolution, it may be a necessary one.

Believing in being part of a huge organism is at least logical. I, after trying for an unbelievably long time, still can?t understand how people can believe that God ?created? everything. He would have to already be there!!! Oh, so he was always there, was he? So, wait a minute, hold on?. doesn?t it make a lot more sense for everything to have always been there? You believers make me sick. Stop deluding yourselves! It may not be a reality you want to accept, but your only other choice is ignorance, and a very well imagined imaginary friend.

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Topic, one in the eye of intelligent design.

DA Morgan, Member

Prove that any god, of any description, exists.

Take your time.

Because when you get down I'm going to use your proof to establish the fact that the entire universe was created by an invisible purple rhinoceros.

--------------------
DA Morgan

jjw, This is the oldest unanswered question. I suspect there is a god hiding behind your invisible purple rhinoceros and that it is afraid to expose its tender parts. If no one can prove the existence of god and if no one can prove the non-existence of god that seems to me to be a standoff that makes the issue moot.
Did you expect an offer of proof? Remove your rhinoceros, and see what?s there.
jjw

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
No one can prove that this world isn't in one big program either. So, since no one can prove this or disprove it, why bother thinking about it? Even if it is a program and I am also a program. who cares - i'm having a hell of a good time, wherever or whatever i am. Obviously there is a big difference between the belief in god and the belief in 'the matrix' so to speak, since the belief in god tells you that there is life after death and what you do in life affects your afterlife. So, those that do choose to believe are actually making a smarter choice, since there is no way to disprove it. I personally can not ever and will not ever believe in an afterlife because, even though there is no way to disprove it completely, there is overwhelming evidence that it is all a load of crap. I'll take my chances with an eternity of suffering, anyway, the human brain can't remember things for that long.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.