Here are a couple of quotes that I think drive home the point:

The first from Marily Vos Savant

"Most people find the source of moral authority in their religions, but I don't. That's because there would be multiple authorities, many of them in conflict and most of them biased. Speaking only for myself, I find the source of moral authority in the lessons of history - the principles that arise out of the mass of good choices, bad choices, and all the rest in between.

History is written by a multitude of narrators, most of them biased. But at least we don't see them as authorities - or shouldn't anyway. This is one of the reasons that a study of world history from diverse sources is so important
for young people. Not only do we learn from the mistakes of others, but we also learn that it is wiser to enthrone and follow principles than it is to enthrone and follow people."

The next from H.L. Mencken

"I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind--that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking."

and the last from Stephen Roberts

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

DA Morgan