Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
#12394 03/06/06 11:24 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
"However the current Middle East conflict with the West is more to do with Western interference in the Middle East esp. American. ... For example, the USA support of the Israeli occupation of Palestine."

Actually this is not true. There was a great paper published in Foreign Relations back in, I believe, the late 80s predicting this culture clash. If Israel had never existed the current situation would not be far different.

So now that you've agreed with everything Chaos said ... care to reread what you originally wrote?

DA Morgan
#12395 03/06/06 11:31 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
"He sets up straw men."

So much for turning the other cheek eh! ;-)

"The biblical understanding of Lucifer's fall is more complex than Chaos suggests. It was not just for asking a question or falling in love with humans."

No ... that is more a description of the fall of humans isn't it. We got it in the gut for asking questions and falling in love.

Blacknad wrote:
"I don't believe for one moment that they were all off the top of your head, complete with dates. [Smile]"

You are correct ... I looked up the dates in Wikipedia. But my challenge still stands. Any time you'd like to look at the bloodbath visited upon humanity by organized religions I'd be happy to oblige you. Perhaps you should start with the reason why a couple of Henry XIII's wives lost their heads ... Protestants vs Catholics. Visit Great Britain some time and visit the National Trust properties. Find out the origin of the word "Priest Hole." You've a lot to learn of the "love" generated by a crucifixion.

But it is amazing Blacknad that you couldn't identify lillith as female. I was actually rather flattered by her assuming my gender to be other than it is.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Lillith.html

Better get back to your bible and read it a bit more closely. The atheists are catching up with you.

DA Morgan
#12396 03/07/06 10:03 AM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Hey - there's nothing wrong with a robust discussion. I have not slighted Chaos as a person. In fact from her posts so far she seems very nice.

I don't want to sound all defensive and trekky, but how dare you accuse me of not being aware of Lillith - she's off Frasier wink

It was the Chaos bit that threw me. Sounded all manly. But if I thought Chaos was a man, I thought he was probably a very effeminate one who was intimately in touch with his female side.

Regards,

Blacknad.

#12397 03/07/06 12:22 PM
C
C
DA,

I am flattered that you are flattered by my assuming you were female. Now that the ego stroking is complete smile . I do love the character of Lillith on Frasier because she could change so completely from Professional to Seductress it was wonderful. She did not do it often enough on either Fraiser or Cheers though.

#12398 03/07/06 08:30 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
"I have not slighted Chaos as a person."

Perhaps you missed the following that you wrote:

"If I had the same simplistic understanding of theology as you then ...."

If that isn't slighting someone then I need a refresher course in civility. Well actually I do but not for that reason.

Blacknad wrote:
"It was the Chaos bit that threw me. Sounded all manly."

I'm going to let this one just hang there though I might recommend a refresher course in Women's Lib.

Lillith:
As Robert Heinlein said:
"Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up with the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle merely for equality. For women, "equality" is a disaster."

DA Morgan
#12399 03/08/06 02:24 PM
C
C
DA,
If you were not already spoken for I would definitely want your number!!

(sigh, a man who gets it) smile

#12400 03/08/06 02:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaoslillith:
DA,
If you were not already spoken for I would definitely want your number!!

(sigh, a man who gets it) smile
Is there some science in this remark? Please remember this is a science forum, not a dating service.

#12401 03/08/06 10:54 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Chaoslillith wrote:
"If you were not already spoken for ...."

Not to be misintepreted ... my wife passed away from cancer in 1993.

And yes Rose there is science in it. What Lillith was alluding to was the following studies on oxytocin and prolactin.

http://www.oxytocin.org/oxytoc
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/oxytocin.html

Apparently the links didn't make it into her post.

BTW: Since when does recognizing a man's ability to put the toilet seat down equate with dating? No doubt Lillith has far more demanding standards. ;-)

DA Morgan
#12402 03/13/06 12:11 PM
C
C
I am sorry for your loss.

I lost my dad to cancer in 97.

I never meant to make this a dating service, just a bit of humor that's all.

As far as my standards, it depends on which of my friends you talk to (hehe).

#12403 03/13/06 08:42 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Lillith wrote:
"I never meant to make this a dating service, just a bit of humor that's all."

You didn't and I didn't. But an English chav named blacknad did.

If he buys me a some decent suds in May all will be forgiven (at least by me).

Hopefully your standards are both as high, and as low, as meet your needs.

Not to inimate anything about you but this does remind me of another Heinlein quote:
"Women will forgive anything. Otherwise, the race would have died out long ago."

Which is really a statement about biology which is science which keeps this thread as 'on-track' as the rest of what is tolerated here as discourse.

How about that prolactin?

DA Morgan
#12404 03/14/06 12:16 AM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Chav? Me?

I was only jesting - am I the only one that gets lambasted for trying to join in the fun?

Blacknad.

#12405 03/14/06 08:11 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Of course not Blacknad. But I've been trying to find an opportunity to try out these new English words to see how they resonate.

I tried 'lovely' but it just dosen't roll off an American's tongue.

DA Morgan
#12406 03/14/06 12:07 PM
C
C
It does if you pronounce it a la "My Fair Lady" style...lov -e -ly. When all else fails, add syllables!!

Umm...how is this scientific, well linguists tell us that language defines what makes humans more advanced then animals so......there.

(smirk)

#12407 03/15/06 10:53 PM
R
R
Dear DA

DA Said...
And that why can only be answered in one of three ways:
1. Your god didn't know penicillin existed.
2. Your god knew about penicillin and kept secret.
3. Your god doesn't exist.

You tell me ... which of these 3 you believe. It is, after all, your personal god.

Speaking for myself ... if (1) Then god didn't create it ... if (2) god is a genocidal maniac filled with hate and malice. Thus I choose 3.

my answer....
You sound like you Hate God. To have an emotion regarding what you consider nonexistant takes a lot of energy that you shouldn't be wasting.

If you don't find God, that is your fault not God's. It isn't my job to prove God exists, it is only my job to Seek whether he does or not.
All fresh dies, why? When you read about Genocide in the Bible, you have to be specific.

In my world there is Faith that God exists and evidence that Man is Foulable. You show me where man is infoulable and I will show you evidence of God.

I think to much I think
rlb60123

#12408 03/16/06 12:48 AM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Dan wrote - "I tried 'lovely' but it just doesn't roll off an American's tongue."

- I'm sure you did smile

And nothing roles of an American's tongue half as well as 'Can you supersize that?' or maybe I'm tarring all Americans with the same brush, just as some people do with us nutty Christians wink

BTW, call me a stoopid Bible-Bashing fundie bigoted Xian nut job, just please don't call me a chav.

Blacknad.

#12409 03/16/06 01:45 AM
R
R
Dear Chaos,

You said...

I am just against any form of organized religion because it is a guarantee that someone will twist it to their own purposes.

Read Hosea Chapter 8... God is against Organized Religion aswell.

#12410 03/16/06 07:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is organized?
Organized is understood part of normal events happening daily in our lives.It can be linear and non-linear.Please note both can be "understood".
Who is the owner of it?(or who explains the things as it is) is a much more interesting question.
Make the Supreme Consciousness responsible for it and you get the the Universe and religion.
Make the Science responsible for it and you get the little less than that.

#12411 03/16/06 07:28 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
rlb60123 wrote:
" if (1) Then god didn't create it ... if (2) god is a genocidal maniac filled with hate and malice. Thus I choose 3."

As you point out ... it is the only reasonable choice.

Blacknad wrote:
BTW, call me a stoopid Bible-Bashing fundie bigoted Xian nut job, just please don't call me a chav."

Ok. You are a reasonably intelligent subject of parental brainwashing who, every time he gets close to using his mind for logical thinking, recoils in horror at the implication thereof.

If you were stoooopid I'd just ignore you.

Happy?

rlb60123 wrote:
"God is against Organized Religion as well."

Apparently I misjudged you from your original post(s). My apology. You are absolutely correct. But heck anyone willing to intentionally rewrite the Ten Commandments, and pick and choose who to stone to death ... adulterers or homosexuals? Hmmm! Decisions Decisions. Should have no problem ignoring other inconvenient parts of a book.

And dvk ... maintaining a his perfect record of incomprehensible babble wrote:
"What is organized?"

So now you are going to try to lawyer your way out of it? Gee ... how about stoning adulterers? I guess that depends on what an adulterer is. Or the prohibition against murder. Lets call in some attorneys and draw fine distinctions between murder, killing, and manslaughter.

dvk stop trying to be the poster child for the shallow end of the gene pool and get yourself some counselling.

DA Morgan
#12412 03/21/06 06:02 PM
R
R
Dear all,

rlb60123 wrote:
" if (1) Then god didn't create it ... if (2) god is a genocidal maniac filled with hate and malice. Thus I choose 3."

I didn't write this I quoted DA. Going to start putting quotations around those I quote to end confusion. Totally my fault sorry.

Respectfully rlb60123
I think to much I think

#12413 05/06/06 09:09 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Wow!
This stuff is too ddep for the Origins Board!?
jjw

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.