Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
#12214 10/14/05 12:18 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dvk wrote:
"God is not seperate from you.... it is you"

When you wake up please phone. This is:

(A) complete and total nonsense unsupported by any biblical text.

(B) a woo-woo feel-good fabrication offering appearance without substance.

I did not create the universe.
I did not invent every disease on this planet.
I do not brain wash children by threat of murder, rape, and eternal torture.

If you do then turn yourself in to the local police authority in your area.

If I had done so I'd save the police the trouble and have committed suicide long ago. Perhaps god did. Perhaps GOD IS DEAD by his own hand. It would certainly be the first decent thing he ever did.

DA Morgan
#12215 10/14/05 12:20 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad wrote:
" I talk about God as he is portrayed in the Bible, along with 99% of the 2.1 billion Christians in the world."

Thank goodness for Prozac and Thorazine. Perhaps they should be distributed more widely.

What you just wrote, to me, is an admission of psychosis: Nothing less.

DA Morgan
#12216 10/15/05 06:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Forgive if I said anything wrong.
I was giving you the Full Will Power and you were not willing to take because you dont happen to see this happening all around you.
Come on you are Scientist you know that Relative Motion is Not True.All relative terms have no meaning. In short the There is nothing called as Will Power and No Will Power. All which is there is Knowledge. Thats all. See the complete Picture and you will not feel so handicapped.
If you cant see it then Practice Science Seriously or Practice MEditation Seriously or Live your own Life Seriously(without Medicines)

#12217 10/15/05 04:52 PM
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Perhaps god did.
The latest USAToday/CNN/Gallup Poll says that the majority of Americans, 53 percent, claim that God created human beings in their present form exactly as described in the Bible.

A scant 12 percent believe that human beings evolved without an assist from God.

The remaining 35 percent chose the middle ground, giving God a supporting role in an evolutionary process that's gone on for millions of years.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2005-10-10-evolution-debate-centerpiece_x.htm

Will the majority rule in a democracy?

Garry 'Jesus Freak' Denke
http://www.garrydenke.com

#12218 10/15/05 05:13 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Garry Denke wrote:
"... majority of Americans, 53 percent, claim that God created human beings in their present form exactly as described in the Bible."

They also reelected George W. Bush. Hardly a ringing endorsement of their ability to use their brains for something more important than watching TV.

A poll of citizens of all other countries will clearly show that most citizens of this planet are not that impressed with GWB either.

DA Morgan
#12219 10/15/05 06:10 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Would never have voted someone like Bush in if I lived in USA - his behaviour is disgraceful. I also think it helps if the Pesident of the only power in the world is intelligent.

I accept the theory of evolution.

I do not watch TV, have no receiver, and get my info from books and the net.

Maybe we should rename this site to 'Christian-go-go'.

Regards,

Blacknad.

#12220 10/16/05 12:00 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Blacknad suggests:
"Maybe we should rename this site to 'Christian-go-go'."

I doubt that would make much of a difference. Kate has run this site for many years with minimal interest in anything that goes on here other than to study her volunteer lab rats. This leads to the site attracting the most diverse, if meaningless, content. Content that occassionally rises to the level of entertainment. Thus my participation.

DA Morgan
#12221 10/16/05 12:35 AM
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Content that occassionally rises to the level of entertainment.
Thus my participation.
382 members pounding the feedbar at SAGG,
with top entertainment being provided by...

http://www.scienceagogo.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/directory.html

1. DA Morgan - 468 posts
2. dkv - 358 posts
3. Amaranth Rose - 303 posts
4. TheFallibleFiend - 230 posts
5. extrasense - 206 posts

http://www.scienceagogo.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=directory;d=browse;sorder=2

Occassionally?

Garry 'Jesus Freak' Denke
http://www.denocoinc.com

#12222 10/16/05 01:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This forum is what you make it. When scientific interest posts are ignored, and questionable expressions of faith or mysticism are thoroughly vetted, the forum evolves in that direction. I have posted many items I thought interesting only to have them ignored completely. You don't have to answer posts that don't relate to science. The fact that many here do indicates the realm of interest of the audience. If you don't want trolls, don't feed them. Two come to mind readily; if you keep feeding them they keep coming back for more. Keep to Science; quit feeding the trolls.

Peace and Health,

"Amaranth"

#12223 10/17/05 03:50 AM
Trolls. I like this. Amaranth, I believe in this forum as an information exchange matrix. I have never been involved with any other forum; and do not know the protocols of them. What I have enjoyed about scienceagogo is that there are many different (sometimes opposing, sometimes vitriol) viewpoints regarding a topic. This, for me, is exciting because I have encountered much thoughtfulness (some less regardful). I myself have learned, in the past few months, to (try to) clarify what I am attempting to convey. I have encountered some feedback ranging from insulting to provocative and thoughtful.
A problem with a forum is that obviously that the subtle nonverbal cues are absent. It is difficult to discern the tone of a post. As such, I find it helpful to try to understand a post as it is written; and to not make assumptions.
I weep for I have not found scienceagogo years ago wink I really wish I had. I graduated high school, dropped out of college twice.. work in a distribution warehouse.. I have no formal science education from an institution of higher learning. But I am (almost) addictively drawn to this site because I know that the people partaking here enjoy discovery; this I share.
Science, to me, is about discovery..learning from others..challenging exisiting ideas..being open-minded (not so much that the brain oozes out)..
If I can genuinely learn something here or help to add insight regarding a scientific query.. then that is all I need.
I really enjoy this place.

Sincerely,

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
#12224 10/17/05 04:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wonderful Words Mung.. You see capability to learn is almost always equivalent to What needs to be learnt in this Fuzzy World...This is the beginging of Grand Unification of Science,Arts and Religion.
Your words are worth repeating again:
"I weep for I have not found scienceagogo years ago I really wish I had. I graduated high school, dropped out of college twice.. work in a distribution warehouse.. I have no formal science education from an institution of higher learning. But I am (almost) addictively drawn to this site because I know that the people partaking here enjoy discovery; this I share.
"
Finally the problem:
"A problem with a forum is that obviously that the subtle nonverbal cues are absent. It is difficult to discern the tone of a post. As such, I find it helpful to try to understand a post as it is written; and to not make assumptions. "- Thats the beauty of it .. it forces you to think ... it is the benchmark of critical Thinker.
Feel free to ask anything.. even if it is very trivial. I will to answer if it goes with my thread .. as I limited time to read and reply.

Wish you all the best in your search.

#12225 10/17/05 04:57 AM
Thank you DKV smile

Sincerely,

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
#12226 10/17/05 02:14 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Garry, you're looking at raw numbers. Posting the raw data is a good first step. But what about rate? There are people who have been here a year or more and hardly posted once a day and others who have been here a few short months and have already ended up on the short list of most voluminous posters.

#12227 10/17/05 06:28 PM
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFallibleFiend:
But what about rate?
I rated the Top Five "Science a GoGo" Posters:

1. DA Morgan - 470 posts
2. dkv - 362 posts
3. Amaranth Rose - 328 posts
4. TheFallibleFiend - 234 posts
5. extrasense - 206 posts

http://www.scienceagogo.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/directory.html

Five (5) Stars (*****)

The "Member Rated:" System (quite scientific) I used was based on the raw data rate.

#12228 10/17/05 07:19 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I meant rate of posting, not rating of the poster. For example, say someone has been in the forum for a year and has posted 350 posts, roughly one a day. Another person has been on the forum for about a month and posted a scant 300 posts, or roughly 30 a day.

#12229 10/18/05 04:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I meant rate of posting, not rating of the poster.
REP: Brilliant!!
For example, say someone has been in the forum for a year and has posted 350 posts, roughly one a day. Another person has been on the forum for about a month and posted a scant 300 posts, or roughly 30 a day.
REP:Rate of Posting Doesnt Serve the Purpose of having a Discussion. Rate of Posting Doesnt tell you anything about Terms like "Intelligence", "Coherence" etc.
===================================
We can take this discussion to my thread ... I guess I found some logical followers.

#12230 10/19/05 10:39 PM
C
C
without christianity particlely we would be still worshiping the sun- god , the world a savage place i'm greatful for religion particlely Christianity. So in fact i was Christianity that provided logic for our savage minds . and science.

so you need a balance of both . to find the answer.

#12231 10/19/05 11:48 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"without christianity particlely we would be still worshiping the sun- god , the world a savage place i'm greatful for religion particlely Christianity. So in fact i was Christianity that provided logic for our savage minds . and science."

Nonsense. The ancient Greeks had discovered the basics of logic long before christianity existed - and when we emerged from the dark ages - after having been hijacked by christianity - the subject had not advanced in the interim.

It wasn't until George Boole tried to formulate logic in an algebra that we again began to make progress on that front. (BTW, while Boole provided the impetus and the essential thinking, the "Boolean Algegra" we use today is not the same algebra that he developed.)

#12232 10/20/05 03:30 PM
C
C
really?

#12233 10/20/05 10:12 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Chris Maxwell wrote:
"without christianity particlely we would be still worshiping the sun- god , the world a savage place"

Somehow Chris managed to miss the fact that Christians, most often operating under the banner of Christianity, have been responsible for more murder, torture, and rape than all of other religions that have ever existed combined: Including atheists and animists.

How did you do that Chris? Inability to read or inability to do math?

Or is this the point where you declare that those that believe in what you believe in are "true" Christians and that all of the other people going to church are believers of the wrong form of Christianity.

Jesus Christ had a really bad weekend.

People with cancer often suffer far worse and do so for years.

Jesus Christ cured a few pathetic individuals.

Dr. Salk cured millions.

As a Christian you've nothing to say of interest unless it is an apology for the appalling inhumanity and hypocrisy of your bretheren.

DA Morgan
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.