Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12074 11/02/06 08:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hardly ever anyone asked me to perform this experiment. But slowly gradualy I have learnt that thoughts can be read. Using visual means the effect of thought to thought exchange becomes Visible(Real time TV and audience effect) . It influences the very structure of the place we are living in.
And also it has a divine effect on the surroundings if the thoughts are divine.
Now the question if remains is what effect the divine thoughts on us?
Or do we choose not to discriminate in the thought processing.I hope a good question.
But I think it can be proved that Thoughts come before Any Matter.

#12075 11/02/06 09:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ALL MY THOUGHTS ARE DEDICATED TO LORD SHIVA AND MAA KALI

#12076 11/02/06 06:01 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dkv wrote:
"But slowly gradualy I have learnt that thoughts can be read."

Slowly, radually, many of us have come to the conclusion that you are in need of seeing your family physician and asking for a referal to a mental health practitioner.

I don't say this to insult you but rather to point out that the above is not true ... is entirely in your head ... and can be cured with medication and counseling. Please seek help for yourself.

DA Morgan
#12077 11/02/06 06:19 PM
Megastar
Megastar
Think about the word Gestalt. Not gestalt therapy, just the definition of Gestalt -the word.
smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
#12078 11/02/06 06:38 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Quote:
Originally posted by dkv:
I don't agree, but I think I could possibly prove that your thoughts come before any substance.

Blacknad.

#12079 11/02/06 06:45 PM
Megastar
Megastar
... and matter comes before space, (for jjw). smile

P.S. ...very good blacknad; my 2nd LOL today. smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
#12080 11/05/06 06:43 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
samwik:

"... and matter comes before space, (for jjw)."
How long before?

#12081 11/05/06 08:05 PM
Megastar
Megastar
14 Gya?
Hiya jjw,
My comment was meant to be somewhat humorous in relation to the thread, but also...?
I'll email you a slightly better explanation, but for here:
I see space (our common 4-D space) as an artifact of, or a derivitave of, matter/energy. All matter/energy is still now compressed together (as in the big bang); still "touching," but only in the other ("true-reality") dimenions of 11 or 24, or however many dimensions there really are.
That's why I see "c" as the speed of space. It is the speed at which space propogates, or generates between two things that are interacting (evolving). Two things that are "really" touching, but by interacting, create our reality (4-D) where space appears to be inbetween the two objects.
It's just a model I use to help me break preconceptions.
Thanks for asking,
~Samwik

#12082 11/06/06 10:53 AM
A
A
Quote:
Originally posted by dkv:
Hardly ever anyone asked me to perform this experiment. But slowly gradualy I have learnt that thoughts can be read. Using visual means the effect of thought to thought exchange becomes Visible(Real time TV and audience effect) . It influences the very structure of the place we are living in.
And also it has a divine effect on the surroundings if the thoughts are divine.
Now the question if remains is what effect the divine thoughts on us?
Or do we choose not to discriminate in the thought processing.I hope a good question.

#12083 11/06/06 11:04 AM
A
A
I was at work one day,walking along,not really thinking about anything,when suddenly i got a taste in my mouth of jacobs cream crackers.I thought i haven`t ate a cream cracker in years i must get my missus to get some.Anyway, that evening i told my missus and was just about to tell her to buy some when she went shopping next time, she smiled, went into the kitchen and came back with a packet.She had Bought some that day i had the thought.......Am i going crackers or is it just me?

#12084 11/07/06 12:54 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Alsy. I agree that weird things happen. I could recite a few that have happened to me. But if our thoughts can sometimes influence events surely that would account for why prayer is occassionally sucessful. No need to postulate any sort of god.

#12085 11/07/06 10:48 AM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Quote:
Originally posted by terrytnewzealand:
No need to postulate any sort of god.
A God was never postulated to explain seemingly successful prayer. A God was postulated for a whole host of reasons. What's more, Theists believe that God revealed Himself through nature and scripture before ever being postulated.

Kant talked about a logical postulate of reason...which is analytic and has nothing to fear from a transcendental criticism and is about the regressive claim that if the conditioned is given, the entire series of all its conditions is likewise given.

You make the error of stating that prayer is the conditioned and God is of the series of conditions. This is not so.

You can't make one contingent upon the other. Even if some prayer was successful, say, by a thought process at the quantum level, it would still not follow that God did not answer prayer. It would only follow that He did not answer some prayers (the ones that were naturally affected by thought or the ones that were neither granted nor effected naturally).

Anyway, the real problem is that we can never pin down an answered prayer scientifically. Attempts have been made and failed and IMO always will. A supernatural event on that level is totally indistinguishable from chance. I had this discussion the other day with a Church Elder - I stated that there is no way a Christian can ever know whether a prayer has actually been answered or not. He didn't disagree.

But here is a story that interested me:

There is a pub near my house that has recently been taken over by a Christian landlord. He believes that God was telling him to do it. He saw that pub and wasn't enamoured of it and carried on his search. But the pub kept springing to mind and coming up in conversation etc. until he felt he could no longer ignore it, and then bought it.

He happened to meet a few Christians in the area and the subject came up and they were gob-smacked. Their house-group had been praying for the last six months for God to get a Christian landlord to take over the pub and change it from a rough drinking hole into a family friendly pub that anyone would be safe drinking in. They clearly considered it an answer to their prayers.

Now my thought on this are:

1. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Christian landlord.

2. It seems there is at least one, but he and his wife could have chosen any one of the 60,331 pubs in the UK.

3. How many Christians are praying for Christian landlords to take on their local pubs? Well I was quite surprised to hear that anyone was asking for that as running pubs isn't something that Christians are renowned for.

4. The chances of this incident being a chance occurrence must be very low.

5. It?s impossible to tell one way or the other and this is where science and faith differ:

The scientist will say this is a chance occurrence.

The Christian will say this is God.

And both parties, viewing the same events, will have completely opposing views.

But if the faithful are right, you could reasonably postulate a God.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub for the Happy Clappy Hour.

Blacknad.

#12086 11/07/06 04:28 PM
Blacknad: This brings up a big difference between the US and GB. In the US, if someone were to describe him/herself as a "Christian" landlord, that person would likely be a Bible-thumping extremist. If the US "Christian" landlord bought a building that had a pub in it, the pub would likely be closed down when the lease expired.

Most English Christians are probably Anglican. Anglicans (Episcopals) in the US are less likely to refer to their non-religious doings, like being landlords, with the adjective Christian. American Christians who DO emphasize the Christian nature of their businesses are usually evangelical types, including Southern Baptists, Pentacostals, etc.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#12087 11/10/06 01:29 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Blachnad quote:

"And both parties, viewing the same events, will have completely opposing views.
But if the faithful are right, you could reasonably postulate a God.
Anyway, I'm off to the pub for the Happy Clappy Hour."

And Muslims would say it was Allah's will. Mind you they wouldn't be joining you for the happy clappy hour (like it!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.